Updated on: November 21, 2023
Only 3 Steps (Quick + Easy) to Watch Max Online With a VPN in 2023:
- Step 1: Download and install a VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN because it works consistently with Max and provides blazing-fast speeds for a smooth streaming experience.
- Step 2: Connect to a local VPN server. It’s theoretically possible to use a VPN to watch Max from outside of the US. But please keep in mind that this is against Max’s Terms of Service and may constitute copyright infringement.
- Step 3: Log into Max. That’s it! You can now stream your favorite movies and shows on Max more securely.
Max is only available in the US due to its licensing agreements, which don’t allow the streaming service to show its content elsewhere. The service looks at your IP address to determine your general geographical location. If it sees that you’re not currently in the US, it blocks you from watching content on the site.
A VPN is a tool that can change your IP address. When you connect to a VPN server, it assigns you a new IP address from the location you’re connected to. This could hypothetically allow you to watch Max outside of the US. However, doing so would be a violation of the platform’s Terms of Service and might even be regarded as copyright infringement. Please follow all relevant rules and regulations when using a VPN.
There are many other reasons to use a VPN. A VPN encrypts your internet traffic, so you can stream on Max more securely. By hiding your streaming activities, it also prevents ISP throttling.
The top VPN for watching Max is ExpressVPN. It works well with the platform and has blazing-fast speeds for streaming. But the other VPNs on my list are really good alternatives.
Best VPNs for Watching Max in 2023
- 🥇1. ExpressVPN — Best overall VPN for Watching Max.
- 🥈2. Private Internet Access — Good mobile apps for watching Max on the go.
- 🥉3. CyberGhost VPN — Intuitive VPN for watching Max on dedicated servers.
- Comparison of the Best VPNs for Watching Max in 2023.
Neither I nor any of my colleagues at SafetyDetectives condone copyright infringement. So while the VPNs below have strict no-logs policies and don’t track your Max activities, we urge you to be responsible for how you use a VPN and to follow all applicable rules and regulations.
🥇1. ExpressVPN — Best VPN for Watching Max in 2023
ExpressVPN is the #1 VPN for streaming Max. I asked my colleagues in the US to test it, and they said it worked with the site and app 100% of the time. With 20+ server locations in the US, it also gives you a lot of connection options — you can connect to a nearby server or avoid overcrowded servers to get the best possible speeds.
This provider is also the fastest VPN in the industry for buffer-free streaming. In my speed tests on local and distant servers, videos in HD always loaded immediately, and I never had to wait for them to buffer.
ExpressVPN has intuitive apps for all major platforms as well, so you can watch Max from any device. It also provides a smart DNS tool called MediaStreamer to stream Max on devices without VPN support — I especially like it since it provides faster speeds because it doesn’t encrypt your traffic.
It has a split-tunneling feature, which lets you choose which apps to route through the VPN tunnel and which to route through your regular internet connection. This way, you can route your Max traffic through the VPN tunnel only, without having to use the VPN for other apps.
It also has great privacy and security features for watching Max content securely. It protects you from DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks, uses perfect forward secrecy (it refreshes the encryption key used to protect your data), and has RAM-only servers, so no data is stored on the hard drive and its servers are wiped with every reboot.
ExpressVPN’s plans start at $6.67 / month, which is more than some competitors but it’s worth considering the value it provides. The VPN backs all subscriptions with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try it out risk-free.
🥈2. Private Internet Access — Good Mobile Apps for Watching Max On the Go
Private Internet Access (PIA) is great for streaming Max on Android and iOS devices. Its mobile apps are very intuitive and feature-rich — I particularly like how you can mark any server as favorites for 1-tap access, and that the apps show each server’s ping on the server selection menu, which helps you identify the fastest server for you.
While PIA’s speeds may not be as fast as ExpressVPN, it’s still very fast. My colleagues in the US said they had no problem streaming movies or shows on Max in HD without any buffering. What’s more, PIA has dedicated streaming servers in both US East and US West, and has servers in all 50 states, so you’ll always be able to find a server that’s close to your location.
I really like PIA’s advanced split-tunneling feature that allows you to exclude both apps and IP addresses from the VPN tunnel (ExpressVPN only allows you to exclude apps). This is handy because it lets you stream on Max on one tab in your browser, while letting you browse the web on other tabs at full speed.
PIA is a very secure VPN. It uses perfect forward secrecy and RAM-only servers, and offers full leak protection. Its apps are open-source, which means anyone can check their code for vulnerabilities, and it releases regular transparency reports, which detail the legal requests it receives for user data (and how it was unable to comply because it doesn’t keep any logs).
Private Internet Access’s plans start at $2.11 / month, which makes it one of the most affordable VPNs out there, and backs all of its plans with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
🥉3. CyberGhost VPN — Intuitive VPN With Streaming-Optimized Servers for Max
CyberGhost VPN has streaming-optimized servers for Max, designed to work with the platform and always offer the best possible speeds for streaming. My colleague in the US tested these servers and said Max worked flawlessly.
CyberGhost’s user-friendly apps also make it good for people new to VPNs. The streaming-optimized servers are in a separate tab, so it’s easy to find the Max-optimized server. I’m also a big fan of its Smart Rules feature, which you can set up to automatically connect you to the Max-optimized servers and auto-launch your Max app when the VPN opens.
This provider has pretty fast speeds. In my tests, all HD videos loaded in no more than 1–2 seconds, and I never experienced any buffering. My colleague in the US said videos on Max instantly loaded when connected to the streaming-optimized servers for Max.
CyberGhost uses perfect forward secrecy and RAM-only servers and has DNS and IPv6 leak protections — it’s missing WebRTC protection, which you get with both ExpressVPN and Private Internet Access.
CyberGhost VPN has plans that start at $2.03 / month, so it’s another good option for those on a budget. It backs long-term plans with a generous 45-day money-back guarantee and monthly plans with a 14-day money-back guarantee.
Comparison of the Best VPNs for Watching Max in 2023
|VPN||Starting Price||Number of US Server Locations||Split-Tunneling||Router Support||Number of Devices||Money-Back Guarantee|
|🥇1. ExpressVPN||$6.67 / month||20+||Android ✅
(dedicated router app)
|Up to 8||30 days|
|🥈2. Private Internet Access||$2.11 / month||50
(plus dedicated streaming servers in the US
|🥉3. Cyberghost VPN||$2.03 / month||10+
(plus a dedicated streaming server for Max)
|7||Up to 45 days|
How to Choose the Best VPN for Watching Max in 2023
- Select a VPN that’s compatible with Max. Not all VPNs work consistently with Max, but all of the VPNs on my list work with the streaming site 100% of the time (as confirmed by my colleagues in the US).
- Get a VPN with fast connection speeds. Since VPNs reduce your connection speeds slightly as they’re encrypting your data and route it through their servers, you want to get a VPN that maintains fast speeds for smooth, buffer-free streaming on Max. ExpressVPN has the fastest speeds in the industry.
- Look for a VPN that provides strong privacy and security. The VPN you choose should have industry-standard VPN security features like military-grade 256-bit AES encryption, a strict no-logs policy, meaning the provider doesn’t keep any information about of what you do online, and a kill switch, which disconnects you from the internet if your VPN connection drops for any reason (this prevents accidental data leaks).
- Get a VPN with intuitive apps. The VPNs I recommend are easy to use — it takes no more than 2–3 minutes to download, set up, and connect to a server, so you can start watching Max securely.
- Get a VPN that provides good value. You want to pick a VPN that offers a good balance of features and cost. The VPNs on my list all have reasonably-priced plans, allow a minimum of 7 simultaneous connections, and back all purchases with a money-back guarantee.
How to Watch Max Content on Any Device
How to Watch Max Content on Your PC or Mac Device
- Get a VPN that works with Max. I recommend ExpressVPN — it has user-friendly Windows and macOS apps, works with Max 100% of the time, and is very fast.
- Download and install the VPN app. Get the VPN app from the provider’s website, then follow the on-screen instructions in the installer to complete the setup process.
- Connect to a local VPN server. That’s it! You can now watch Max more securely on your PC or Mac device.
How to Watch Max Content on Your Smartphone or Tablet
- Get a VPN that has good mobile apps. ExpressVPN’s Android and iOS apps are feature-rich and works well with Max.
- Download and install the VPN app. Find the app on your device’s app store and follow the on-screen instructions to install it. Then, log into your account.
- Connect to a nearby VPN server. And you’re all set! You can now enjoy watching Max on your smartphone or tablet.
How to Watch Max Content on Your Smart TV
- Pick a VPN that’s compatible with Max. ExpressVPN works with Max 24/7 and provides super-fast speeds for buffer-free streaming.
- On Android TVs: Get the VPN app from the app store, open it, and then connect to a VPN server.
- On non-Android-TVs: Install the VPN on your router and configure it to connect to a local VPN server. ExpressVPN has a dedicated router app that makes this very easy to do — it only took me 5–10 minutes to set up. When you’re finished, all of the devices in your home, including your smart TV, will use the VPN.
- Log in to Max. That’s it! You can now enjoy your favorite movies and shows on Max on the big screen.
How to Watch Max Content on Amazon Fire Stick
- Get a VPN with a good Fire Stick app. ExpressVPN’s Fire Stick app is very intuitive.
- Download and install the VPN. Get the app from the app store, and then just follow the installation wizard’s instructions. The whole process only takes 1–2 minutes.
- Open the VPN app. Connect to a nearby server for the best possible speeds and enjoy streaming Max content on your Fire Stick or Fire TV.
How to Watch Max Content on Your Gaming Console
- Find a VPN that works on your router. You can check for compatibility on your provider’s website.
- Set the VPN up on your router. The process varies for each VPN and router. You’ll find step-by-step guides on your provider’s website. ExpressVPN has a dedicated router app that makes it much easier to set up.
- Start watching Max. You’re all set! Your XBox and PlayStation consoles (and any other devices in your household that go through your router) will now use the VPN.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Max work with a VPN?
No, only some VPNs work reliably with Max. My colleagues in the US test 20+ VPNs and confirmed that the VPNs I recommend work with Max 100% of the time.
In what countries is Max available?
You can only watch Max in the US, which also includes US territories like Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Guam, and the Northern Mariana Islands. HBO Max, which carries similar content, is available in select countries in Europe, Latin America, and the Caribbean.
What’s the best VPN for Max?
I recommend ExpressVPN. It works with Max 100% of the time, provides lightning-fast speeds for smooth, buffer-free streaming, offers strong privacy and security features, and has easy-to-use apps for all major platforms.
Can I watch Max with a free VPN?
Maybe, but I don’t recommend it. Most free VPNs don’t support streaming or don’t work with Max. The ones that work with Max come with a lot of other limitations. For example, many free VPNs limit your speeds and impose daily or monthly data caps, which means you won’t be able to watch Max for very long. Some of them also provide weak privacy and security. You’ll save yourself a lot of time and headaches if you instead get yourself an affordable VPN with great streaming support.