Updated on: May 1, 2022
Short on time? Here’s 2022’s best VPN for Netflix:
- 🥇 ExpressVPN: Works with Netflix 100% of the time, maintains fast speeds across all servers, and has easy-to-use apps for all major operating systems and devices. Includes high-security features, a strict no-logs policy, provides 5 simultaneous connections, and protects each purchase with a 30-day money-back guarantee. Get the best VPN for Netflix here.
I tested all of the top VPNs to find the best ones for Netflix in 2022. But this proved to be harder than I thought.
Netflix’s terms and conditions states that you’re only allowed to watch content that’s available either in the country where you registered your account or within locations where Netflix offers its service — for example, if you travel to a country where Netflix has a content library, you’re allowed to watch Netflix titles from that country — but not titles from the country where you created your account.
If you travel abroad, a VPN can help you to access the Netflix content library from your home country. A VPN may allow you to watch content libraries from other locations too, but this might violate Netflix’s terms and conditions (but it’s not illegal). To prevent users from accessing libraries in other countries, Netflix has become really good at detecting and blocking VPNs.
So I wasn’t surprised that most of the VPNs I tested were unable to find a way around Netflix’s VPN blocks. And most of the VPNs that were able to access Netflix didn’t have fast enough speeds for uninterrupted streaming.
But the good news is that there are a handful of really good VPNs for Netflix on the market. All of the VPNs that I picked for this list allow you to access Netflix, provide excellent speeds, and are reasonably priced.
Quick summary of the best VPNs for Netflix in 2022:
- 1.🥇 ExpressVPN — Best VPN for accessing Netflix in 2022.
- 2.🥈 CyberGhost VPN — Easy to use with specialized streaming servers.
- 3.🥉 Getflix — DNS servers optimized for 500+ streaming services (including Netflix).
- 4. VyprVPN — Fast speeds for lag-free streaming (with strong security).
- 5. ProtonVPN — Dedicated streaming servers and high-privacy features.
- How I Rated the Best VPNs for Netflix in 2022.
- Top Brands That Didn’t Make the Cut.
- Frequently Asked Questions about VPNs for Netflix.
🥇1. ExpressVPN — Best VPN for Netflix in 2022
ExpressVPN is my favorite VPN for Netflix in 2022 — it consistently works with Netflix, maintains fast speeds across all servers, and includes a wide range of advanced security features.
In addition to working with Netflix, ExpressVPN is also a good choice for other streaming services, including Hulu, HBO, YouTube, BBC iPlayer, and Amazon Prime.
ExpressVPN also comes with:
- MediaStreamer — This is ExpressVPN’s DNS service that allows you to access Netflix on devices that don’t have native support for VPN connections (like gaming consoles, Chromecast, or AppleTV).
- TrustedServer technology — ExpressVPN stores your data on memory (RAM) instead of a hard drive, so all of your information is wiped each time the system is rebooted.
- No-logs policy — ExpressVPN’s no-logs policy has been independently audited and confirmed. Plus, ExpressVPN is located in the British Virgin Islands, which is outside the 5/9/14 Eyes Alliances (a group of countries whose intelligence agencies have agreed to share intelligence data).
- Perfect forward secrecy — This feature changes your encryption key every time you connect to a different server, so even if hackers somehow hacked your device or ExpressVPN’s servers, they wouldn’t be able to decipher any of your transferred data.
ExpressVPN also has very fast speeds — I only had an average decrease in speeds of 12% when I connected to a server with ExpressVPN’s “Smart Location” feature, so I was able to stream content lag-free without any interruptions.
ExpressVPN allows you to connect up to 5 devices at the same time, supports all major operating systems, and accepts credit cards, PayPal, Bitcoin, and international processors like UnionPay and AliPay. While ExpressVPN is a bit pricey, with plans starting at $6.67 / month, it offers the best value for money, it often gives away several months for free, and it backs all purchases with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
ExpressVPN is able to access Netflix as well as other popular streaming services 100% of the time. And thanks to ExpressVPN’s fast internet speed, your Netflix content will play without any lag, buffering, or interruptions. ExpressVPN also comes with a wide range of security features, including perfect forward secrecy, TrustedServer technology, and a strict no-logs policy. ExpressVPN offers a 30-day money-back guarantee on all of its plans.
🥈2. CyberGhost VPN — Simple Interface with Good Streaming Speeds
CyberGhost VPN’s well-designed interface makes it very user-friendly for streaming content. CyberGhost allows you to manually connect to a server with the lowest load percentage to get the best speeds for streaming Netflix, or you can connect to one of CyberGhost’s pre-optimized streaming servers. CyberGhost works with Netflix and around 40 other streaming services, including Disney+, HBO, BBC, CBS, Eurosport, etc.
In my speed tests, CyberGhost slowed down my internet speeds by an average of 33% — not as fast as ExpressVPN, but I could still stream content without any major issues.
CyberGhost also has a strict no-logs policy — and it releases a transparency report every 3 months that details how many requests CyberGhost receives for user data from governments agencies, law enforcement, etc., and proves that the company didn’t comply with any of the requests. CyberGhost VPN is located in Romania, outside of the 5/9/14 Eyes Alliances.
CyberGhost VPN allows you to connect 7 devices simultaneously, offers monthly and yearly plans, and sometimes also gives additional months free. CyberGhost VPN plans start at $2.29 / month, and the yearly plans all have a 45-day money-back guarantee (the 1-month plan has a 14-day money-back guarantee).
CyberGhost VPN has a user-friendly interface that makes it very easy to find the best servers for streaming Netflix. You can either manually choose the CyberGhost VPN server with the lowest load percentage for fast speeds, or you can opt to use CyberGhost’s dedicated Netflix servers that are available in select countries. CyberGhost VPN has pretty good speeds, allows 7 connections, and offers a 45-day money-back guarantee for its yearly plans.
🥉3. Getflix — Unblocks the Most Streaming Sites
Getflix is a SmartDNS service that claims to work with 500+ streaming apps around the world, including Netflix. Getflix has 40+ DNS servers located in 30+ countries that are built to access streaming websites — and they all work really well.
While Getflix’s DNS servers are excellent for watching TV shows and movies on Netflix (and other popular apps like BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and Amazon Prime), these servers don’t encrypt your traffic — but this is ok because you’re only using DNS servers to stream content. To encrypt your data, you’ll need Getflix Full VPN, which is included for free in all Getflix subscription plans.
Getflix’s VPN comes with industry-standard security features like 256-bit AES encryption, a no-logs policy, and unlimited bandwidth. There are no other extra features like split-tunneling or an ad blocker, but Getflix supports torrenting on some servers.
Getflix allows multiple connections for its DNS servers and up to 3 connections for the Full VPN service. Getflix plans start at $4.95 / month — it doesn’t have a money-back guarantee, but you can cancel the service at any time.
Getflix uses SmartDNS technology to access Netflix and 500+ other streaming sites. During my tests, I was able to watch Netflix titles without any lagging or buffering. Getflix’s DNS servers are ideal for users who only want to stream content — the servers don’t encrypt your traffic, so they don’t slow down your internet speeds. Getflix also has a free VPN that provides basic VPN functionality, but there’s no money-back guarantee.
4. VyprVPN — Secure with Great Streaming Capabilities
VyprVPN works with Netflix, has fast speeds, and provides good security extras like its proprietary Chameleon protocol and dynamic server switching. All of VyprVPN’s 700+ servers support streaming, and during my tests I was able to access Netflix, as well as other streaming services like Hulu, Disney+, etc.
VyprVPN’s internet speeds aren’t as fast as ExpressVPN or CyberGhost, but they’re still pretty good. I tested at least one server from each of the VPN’s 70 locations, and my internet speed only slowed down by an average of 35% — providing me with fast speeds to stream Netflix in HD quality.
VyprVPN uses its Chameleon protocol to hide your VPN connection — and it can help you watch Netflix and other streaming services if you travel to another country but want to access content libraries from your home country.
I also really like that VyprVPN has dynamic server switching — if too many users connect to a server at the same time, VyprVPN will automatically connect you to a less crowded server. This ensures good speeds while streaming content on Netflix.
VyprVPN also has a strict no-logs policy (verified in 2018), provides a kill switch, doesn’t set a limit on the amount of data you can transfer, and works across all popular platforms, including smart TVs and routers.
VyprVPN lets you connect 30 devices, has several payment plans which start at $8.33 / month, and backs each purchase with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
VyprVPN is secure, fast, and works with Netflix as well as a wide range of other streaming services. During my tests, VyprVPN maintained fast speeds for uninterrupted streaming on all of its servers. VyprVPN also has its own Chameleon protocol that masks your VPN traffic and is able to bypass internet restrictions, and it comes with dynamic server switching that connects you to a different server in case of overcrowding. VyprVPN has a risk-free money-back guarantee for 30 days.
5. ProtonVPN — High-Privacy Features with Dedicated Netflix Servers
ProtonVPN is very good at accessing Netflix. It offers dedicated streaming servers (called “Plus” servers) that are built to work with Netflix. However, Plus servers are only available to users who purchase ProtonVPN’s Plus or Visionary plans (ProtonVPN’s Free and Basic plans don’t include access to Plus servers).
In my tests, I was always able to watch Netflix connected to a Plus server. As for speeds, ProtonVPN decreased my internet speed by an average of 36% — about the same percentage as CyberGhost VPN.
ProtonVPN is also very secure. It uses Secure Core VPN architecture that routes your internet data through multiple servers, which are located underground in Switzerland and Norway and on a former military base in Iceland, before the data leaves ProtonVPN’s network. ProtonVPN has a strict no-logs policy, all of its apps are open-source, it’s located in Switzerland (outside the 5/9/14 Eyes), and it provides extras like perfect forward secrecy.
ProtonVPN’s Plus plan costs $5.99 / month, includes 10 connections, access to the fastest servers, allows torrenting, and comes with an ad blocker. At $24.00 / month, ProtonVPN Visionary adds a ProtonMail account. ProtonVPN accepts credit cards, PayPal, and Bitcoin, and it comes with a prorated 30-day money-back guarantee.
ProtonVPN has dedicated servers for streaming and is good at accessing Netflix and other streaming sites. ProtonVPN is able to access Netflix at all times, but its streaming servers are only available on the Plus and Visionary plans and not on the Free or Basic plans. ProtonVPN has a prorated 30-day money-back guarantee.
How I Rated the Best VPNs for Netflix in 2022
- Works with Netflix. Netflix doesn’t allow users from certain locations to access certain content due to licensing and copyright agreements. And Netflix has become really good at detecting VPNs, so most VPN providers don’t work with Netflix. But all of the VPNs that I recommend are able to consistently access Netflix.
- Fast speeds. All VPNs slow down your internet connection at least a little bit, but the VPNs on this list reduced my connection speeds by no more than an average of 36%, allowing me to watch Netflix content with minor or no delay.
- Strong security. All of my VPN choices offer industry-standard security features like 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and a no-logs policy. Some of the VPNs on this list also have additional security features like obfuscation tools for bypassing firewalls and restrictions in countries that censor the internet.
- Good value. I only recommend VPNs that allow you to connect at least 5 devices at once, have apps that support multiple platforms and devices, offer flexible payment plans and payment methods, and come with a money-back guarantee.
Top Brands That Didn’t Make the Cut:
- HMA (formerly HideMyAss!). HMA is a decent VPN for accessing Netflix, but it used to collect user data and hand it over to the authorities when requested. While HMA claims it no longer stores user data, I still can’t recommend this VPN because of its past logging practices.
- Hola VPN. Hola VPN doesn’t route your internet traffic through encrypted servers. Instead, it uses a peer-to-peer (P2P) network and replaces your IP address with the IP address of another Hola VPN user. This means someone else could use your IP address to engage in suspicious or illegal activity.
- IVPN. IVPN has excellent security and privacy features, maintains pretty good speeds, and supports torrenting, but it’s not good for accessing streaming services. IVPN didn’t work with Netflix or any other popular streaming service in my tests.
Best VPNs for Netflix (2022) — Final Score:
|1.||Read Review||Read Review||Visit Website|
|2.||Read Review||Read Review||Visit Website|
|3.||Read Review||Read Review||Visit Website|
|4.||Read Review||Read Review||Visit Website|
|5.||Read Review||Read Review||Visit Website|
Frequently Asked Questions — VPNs for Netflix
Is it legal to watch Netflix with a VPN?
Yes, it is completely legal to use a VPN to watch Netflix. However, depending on your usage, it may be against Netflix’s terms and conditions to use a VPN to watch geo-restricted content.
If Netflix detects that you are using a VPN, you will likely receive an error message and you won’t be able to access that Netflix content until you turn off your VPN.
What is the best VPN for Netflix?
ExpressVPN is my top pick for Netflix in 2022 — it can access Netflix, it’s fast, and it comes with excellent security features. ExpressVPN allows up to 5 connections on a single account, has affordable pricing plans, and backs each purchase by a 30-day money-back guarantee.
While ExpressVPN is my favorite VPN for Netflix, all of the other VPNs on this list are also very good choices for watching Netflix. CyberGhost makes it very easy to find the best (fastest) server to watch Netflix, and Getflix uses SmartDNS technology to access Netflix and 500+ other streaming sites. VyprVPN uses its own Chameleon protocol to bypass internet restrictions, and it’s also pretty fast. ProtonVPN provides excellent privacy features and access to dedicated streaming servers.
How do I use a VPN with Netflix?
Accessing Netflix with a VPN is very simple — it requires only 3 steps:
- Get a VPN. Download and install a reputable VPN that works with Netflix (I recommend ExpressVPN or CyberGhost VPN).
- Connect to a server. Open the app and locate the list of server locations in the server menu. Scroll down the list of servers until you locate the server you want to connect to.
- Sign into your Netflix account. When you sign into your Netflix account, you’ll be able to stream content from the streaming site’s library.
Can I use a free VPN to watch Netflix?
Netflix blocks most free VPNs — so you’ll probably need a paid service like ExpressVPN for fast, reliable streaming. While some VPNs offer good free plans, most are unable to access Netflix, are slow, and set a limit on your bandwidth.
The best option is to purchase a reasonably-priced VPN that will allow you to safely and securely watch Netflix. VPN brands like ExpressVPN, CyberGhost VPN, and VyprVPN all work with Netflix, provide fast speeds, include many extra features, are affordable, and have a money-back guarantee.