Short on time? Here’s the best VPN for watching Disney+ from anywhere in 2023:
- 🥇 ExpressVPN: Reliably works with Disney+, provides high-level security, maintains lightning-fast speeds, and is very easy to use on all devices. ExpressVPN allows 5 connections, has affordable pricing, and backs each purchase with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Have you ever wanted to watch a Marvel movie or a classic TV show like the Simpsons on Disney+ while abroad, but you weren’t able to access your home country’s content library due to content licensing agreements? Fortunately, you can fix this problem by using a virtual private network (VPN) to watch Disney+ from anywhere.
A VPN is an app that allows you to connect to servers located all over the world. When you connect to a VPN server, the VPN replaces your actual IP address with an IP address from your new location. So, when you travel abroad, you can use a VPN to connect to a server in your home country and watch Disney+ TV shows and movies from your country’s library.
And good VPNs have easy-to-install and intuitive apps for Android, iOS, Windows, Macs, smart TVs, Amazon Fire Stick, and even gaming consoles for streaming Disney+.
However, not all VPNs are able to access Disney+. But my colleagues and I spent the past few weeks testing all of the top VPNs on the market in 2023, and we were able to watch Disney+ from anywhere with my top 3 choices.
Only 3 Steps (Quick + Easy) to Watch Disney+ in 2023:
- Step 1: Download and install a VPN that works with Disney+. Pick a VPN with at least 1 server in your home country — I recommend ExpressVPN due to its lightning-fast streaming speeds, large server network (servers in 90+ countries), and excellent streaming support. It only takes a few minutes to download and install a VPN app on your device.
- Step 2: Choose a server. Scroll down through the VPN’s list of server locations and select a server in your home country.
- Step 3: Log into Disney+. Log into your Disney+ account, select your favorite show or movie, and kick back and relax with your favorite streaming content.
The 5 Best VPNs for Watching Disney+
Quick summary of the best VPNs for watching Disney+ content in 2023:
- 🥇1. ExpressVPN — The best overall VPN for watching Disney+.
- 🥈 2. Private Internet Access — Great for streaming Disney+ on mobile devices.
- 🥉 3. CyberGhost VPN — Good VPN for beginners looking to stream Disney+.
- 4. NordVPN — Reliable with great security & fast speeds on all servers.
- 5. Surfshark — Good for large families (with cheap plans).
🥇 1. ExpressVPN — Best VPN for Streaming Disney+
ExpressVPN is my favorite VPN for watching Disney+ — in our tests, my colleagues and I were always able to access our country’s Disney+ content libraries in the US, the UK, Canada, Romania, and Spain. And thanks to ExpressVPN’s large server network (3,000+ servers in 90+ countries), most users will be able to connect to a server in their country to access their country’s Disney+ titles.
ExpressVPN has its own proprietary Lightway protocol, which maintains lightning-fast streaming speeds — my HD videos instantly loaded and there was no buffering, and 4K videos loaded in 1–2 seconds. Additionally, I like how ExpressVPN comes with a built-in speed test so I was able to check and find the fastest servers for watching Disney+.
In addition to being my top choice for streaming Disney+, ExpressVPN is also great for all other streaming apps — it’s the best VPN for Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, HBO Max, and over 60 other streaming sites. ExpressVPN is also a really good VPN for torrenting.
ExpressVPN is also extremely simple to use. It only took me 2–3 minutes to install its desktop, mobile, and smart TV apps. The intuitive interface is very easy to navigate, and I connected to a US server in mere seconds. I also really like how you can create 1-click shortcuts for apps once you connect to ExpressVPN. For example, I created a shortcut for Disney+ so that I was able to easily access the streaming site with just 1 click.
I also like that ExpressVPN has split-tunneling on its Windows, Android, macOS, and router apps. On my Windows 10 PC, I was able to maintain faster streaming speeds by only routing Disney+ through ExpressVPN and sending browsing traffic through my internet service provider (ISP).
When it comes to security, ExpressVPN has a strict no-logs policy that’s been independently audited and verified, and you get full leak protection — I ran 10+ leak tests and never saw any leaks. It also includes advanced security features like perfect forward secrecy (changes your encryption key for each connection to prevent hackers from accessing past or future keys) and RAM-only servers (they don’t store any data on the hard drive and all data is erased each time the server is reset).
ExpressVPN allows 5 simultaneous connections and has monthly and yearly plans, which start at $6.67 / month. Although it’s on the pricey side, ExpressVPN provides the best overall value (and its long-term plan usually includes extra months for free). ExpressVPN backs all of its plans with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
🥈 2. Private Internet Access — Great for Streaming Disney+ on Android & iOS Devices
Private Internet Access (PIA) has very fast speeds, strong security, and highly customizable mobile apps. PIA offers dedicated Disney+ streaming servers in the US, India, and Italy, but all of its servers work with Disney+.
I’m a big fan that the Android and iOS apps allow you to personalize 20+ settings, including changing your encryption level to 128-bit AES encryption (it may give slightly faster speeds than 256-bit AES), changing your protocol (WireGuard was the fastest for me, but my colleague in the UK said OpenVPN provided him with the best speeds), and deciding if you approve connections to unsecured Wi-Fi networks (for streaming Disney+ at an airport, hotel, or cafe).
While PIA maintains really fast speeds, it’s slightly slower than ExpressVPN. My HD videos loaded right away but 4k videos loaded within 3-4 seconds. However, once the videos started, I didn’t experience any buffering or interruptions.
PIA is easy to use — it was very simple and quick for me to find and connect to a US server. I also like how PIA lists the latency (the time it takes for a signal to travel from your device to the server) for all of its servers and uses a basic color-coded system (green for fast, yellow for average, and red for slow) to help you quickly identify the servers with the lowest latency and fastest speeds.
Along with Disney+, PIA works with all of the other top streaming sites, including Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and BBC iPlayer.
When it comes to security features, PIA has RAM-only servers and perfect forward secrecy. Its no-logs policy has been independently audited, and it’s been repeatedly confirmed in court documents. Also, PIA has split-tunneling and an ad blocker.
PIA allows up to 10 simultaneous connections, and its monthly and yearly plans (that start at $2.19 / month) are some of the most affordable VPN plans on the market. All PIA plans are backed with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
🥉 3. CyberGhost VPN — Good Speeds + Strong Streaming Capabilities
CyberGhost VPN is a great choice for people who are new to VPNs — it has a clean and simple design, is very easy to navigate, and allows you to create favorite servers. It even has dedicated servers for streaming, torrenting, and gaming (it’s one of my favorite VPNs for gamers).
While CyberGhost has similar speeds as Private Internet Access, it isn’t as fast as ExpressVPN. In my tests, HD videos immediately loaded and 4k videos took up to about 4 seconds to begin playing. But I like how Cyberghost provides a cool speed metric — it displays the server load percentage, which shows how many active users are on a server at the same time (the lowest loads provide the fastest speeds) to help you find the fastest server.
CyberGhost is an excellent VPN for streaming — it has 50+ dedicated streaming servers across 10+ countries that are optimized for many of the top streaming apps. However, CyberGhost has just 2 dedicated streaming servers for Disney+ (in India and Italy). But in my tests, I was able to access Disney+ on multiple US servers, and my colleagues were also able to access Disney+.
One of my favorite things is CyberGhost VPN’s Smart Rules feature (available on Windows and macOS), which lets you customize CyberGhost VPN’s launch settings. For example, I set Disney+ to automatically open as soon as I connected to a CyberGhost server.
As far as security and privacy are concerned — there’s full leak protection, a regular transparency report that details all user data requests CyberGhost receives and proves that it didn’t comply with any of them, and advanced security features like RAM-only servers. However, CyberGhost’s split tunneling tool is only available on Android (unlike ExpressVPN and Private Internet Access, which support split-tunneling on multiple platforms).
CyberGhost VPN allows 7 simultaneous connections, offers plans that start at $2.19 / month, and backs long-term plans with a generous 45-day money-back guarantee (monthly plans have a 14-day money-back guarantee).
4. NordVPN — Reliable With Great Security Features & Fast Speeds
NordVPN provides access to multiple security features that keep your data safe online — like Threat Protection, which is one of the best VPN ad blockers on the market and which also gets rid of malicious ads, blocks connections to shady sites, and protects your device from malware-infected downloads. Even better, Threat Protection remains active even if you’re not connected to a VPN server, which is really convenient.
In addition, there’s Dark Web Monitor, which scans the dark web and alerts you if the login associated with your NordVPN account has been leaked. I’m happy to see this, as this is one of the only VPNs on the market that comes with a dark web monitoring feature.
On top of that, NordVPN also comes with other great security features — it has double VPN servers, which add an extra layer of encryption, and it also comes with obfuscation. Plus, the VPN has its own protocol called NordLynx, which is designed to provide strong security and really fast speeds.
NordVPN also has advanced security features, including full leak protection, RAM-only servers, and perfect forward secrecy. Its strict no-logs policy has been independently audited, and it’s also been proven true when one of the data centers that housed one of its servers suffered a data breach and no user data was compromised.
The provider is also great for streaming and torrenting — it works with multiple popular streaming services like Netflix and BBC iPlayer, and has a whopping 4,500+ P2P servers. It also provides really good speeds for streaming, torrenting, and other online activities on all of its servers.
I also think NordVPN is a good gaming VPN thanks to its Meshnet feature, which lets you link up to 60 devices over encrypted VPN connections — this helps you host virtual LAN parties securely.
What’s more, this VPN has tons of other perks — it has 5,000+ servers in 55+ countries, comes with split-tunneling, and has really intuitive apps for all major platforms.
NordVPN has budget-friendly plans that start at $2.99 / month. All purchases are backed by a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
5. Surfshark — Great VPN for Large Families & Very Affordable
Surfshark allows unlimited connections, which means you can use it on as many devices as you want — so it’s a great option if everyone in your family needs a good VPN. I’m also happy to see this because very few VPNs support unlimited connections.
It comes with really good security features, including CleanWeb, which is one of the best VPN ad blockers out there. In addition, it provides obfuscation, double VPN connections for added security, and IP Rotator, which regularly changes your IP address to make it harder for someone to track your location. The provider also has advanced security features like RAM-only servers and perfect forward secrecy — however, it’s missing full leak protection (but I never experienced any leaks in my tests).
You also get pretty good streaming support, as the VPN can access top sites like Netflix, HBO Max, and BBC iPlayer — though it can’t access Disney+. It also supports P2P downloads across all of its servers.
There are 3,200+ servers in 90+ countries, which makes it simple to use nearby servers for fast speeds. Speaking of speeds, the provider has fast connections on most servers, but I did experience significant slowdowns on very distant servers.
Surfshark is also one of the most affordable VPNs on the market, with plans starting at only $2.30 / month — so it’s also a good pick if you’re on a tight budget. All plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
How to Choose the Best VPN for Streaming Disney+ Content in 2023
- Consistently accesses Disney+. The VPN has to work with Disney+ 100% of the time. In our tests, my colleagues from all over the world and I were able to consistently stream Disney+ with the VPNs listed here.
- Excellent streaming support. I only recommend VPNs that work with Disney+ and all of the other popular streaming services, including Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu. My top pick, ExpressVPN, claims to access 65+ streaming services.
- Fast streaming speeds. All VPNs slow down your speeds because they encrypt your traffic, but top brands maintain fast speeds across all servers. All the VPNs on this list provided me with fast and uninterrupted streaming speeds
- Ease of use. I only recommend VPNs that include easy-to-install and intuitive apps for Android, iOS, Windows, macOS, smart TVs, routers, and more, have user-friendly designs, and make it simple to watch Disney+ content on any device.
- Strong security and privacy. All the VPNs on this list include industry-standard security features like 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch (disconnects you from the internet if your VPN connection fails to prevent traffic leaks), a no-logs policy (prevents the VPN from logging your IP address and online traffic), and leak protection.
- Good value. I only recommend VPNs that allow multiple simultaneous connections (ExpressVPN allows 5 connections), have affordable plans, and back all purchases with a money-back guarantee.
How to Watch Disney+ Content on Any Device
How to Watch Disney+ Content on Your PC or Mac Device
- Choose a good Disney+ VPN. ExpressVPN is my top choice for Disney+ thanks to its fast download speeds and smooth, buffer-free streaming.
- Download and install the VPN. All you have to do is follow the installation wizards instructions (the process takes only 1-2 minutes).
- Open the VPN, connect to a server, and sign in to your Disney+ account. You’re now ready to stream your favorite Star Wars series or Star Wars movies.
How to Watch Disney+ Content on Your Smartphone or Tablet
- Get a VPN for Disney+ for Android and iOS. I recommend ExpressVPN as it has excellent native iOS and Android apps, as well as great browser support. Private Internet Access also has very good mobile apps for streaming.
- Download and install the VPN. It should only take a couple of minutes by following the installation wizard’s instructions.
- Launch the VPN, connect to a local server, and open your Disney+ app. You can now watch Disney+ content anywhere on the go.
How to Watch Disney+ Content on Your Smart TV
- Pick a reputable VPN. ExpressVPN is my top choice because it’s easy to install on smart TVs, Android TVs, and routers.
- For Android TVs. Download and install the VPN app from the app store on your TV (ExpressVPN Android TV app is simple to use and takes only 1-2 minutes). Open the VPN and connect to your desired server.
- For non-Android TVs. Download and install the VPN on your router (ExpressVPN works on routers and also provides easy-to-follow instructions). After you configure the VPN to a server, all of the devices connected to your router in your home will be automatically connected to the VPN.
- Open your Disney+ account on your Smart TV. You’re all set to stream Disney+ content.
How to Watch Disney+ Content on Your Gaming Console
- Choose a Disney+ VPN that works on routers. I recommend ExpressVPN for its easy installation for routers and fast streaming speeds.
- Configure the VPN on your router. After you set up the VPN on your router (ExpressVPN provides helpful step-by-step instructions), your gaming consoles will be connected to the VPN.
- Connect your router to a server and install and open Disney+ on your Xbox or PlayStation console. That’s it — you can now watch Disney+.
How to Watch Disney+ Content using Amazon Fire Stick
- Buy a VPN that works with Disney+. ExpressVPN has the best Amazon Fire Stick app on the market.
- Download and install the VPN app on your Fire Stick or Fire TV. The whole process shouldn’t take more than 1–2 minutes.
- Launch the VPN app and connect to a server. Now, it’s time to grab snacks and drinks and watch a classic Disney movie with your family.
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the best VPN to access Disney+?
ExpressVPN is my favorite VPN for watching Disney+ — it works Disney+ 100% of the time, maintains some of the fastest streaming speeds in the industry, has easy-to-use apps for many different devices, and also works with 65+ other streaming sites like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime.
However, the other VPNs on this list are also good for watching Disney+. Private Internet Access comes with customizable mobile apps that enhance your streaming experience, and CyberGhost VPN has a very user-friendly interface that makes it great for people who have never used a VPN.
Can I use a free VPN to watch Disney+?
Maybe, but most free VPNs don’t work with Disney+. For example, Proton VPN has a good free plan, but it doesn’t support streaming.
Instead, I recommend getting a premium VPN like ExpressVPN or Private Internet Access for streaming Disney+ — they both work with Disney+, have lightning-fast speeds, offer affordable plans, and back each purchase with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Is watching Disney+ with a VPN legal?
Yes, it is perfectly legal to stream Disney+ with a VPN. However, the streaming service will deny you access if it detects that you’re using a VPN. This is because you may violate Disney+’s Terms and Conditions by using a VPN. So, you need a good VPN that works with Disney+ (I recommend ExpressVPN).
Do all VPNs work with Disney+?
No, most VPNs are unable to access Disney+. If Disney+ detects that you’re using a VPN, you will likely get a blank screen when you try to access your account. However, a top VPN like ExpressVPN is consistently able to access Disney+.