Updated on: September 9, 2023
Short on time? Here’s how OnlyFans creators and subscribers can stay safe in 2023:
- Use common sense cybersecurity practices: Don’t follow links to other sites, don’t download attachments, and don’t share personal information.
- Use internet security tools: antivirus software like Norton to protect your OnlyFans from getting hacked by malware, a password manager like 1Password to protect your OnlyFans login from password crackers and data breaches, and a VPN like ExpressVPN to encrypt your internet traffic so you can browse privately.
- Monitor your financial accounts. For subscribers, you need to be sure that you’re not getting billed for unusual charges. And for creators, you need to be sure that the payments you receive are entering your accounts.
There are crucial steps you need to take to stay safe and protect your privacy on OnlyFans. This applies to you whether you’re curious about producing content for OnlyFans or following your favorite creators on the popular social media website.
OnlyFans is a massive platform, with 80+ million subscribers and upwards of 1 million creators. Many creators, including fitness experts, athletes, celebrities, and adult performers, have flocked to OnlyFans in the last few years because of the direct access it gives creators to interact with and get paid by their fans.
Unfortunately, there are a lot of risks to using OnlyFans. Creators and subscribers have had their accounts hacked and their funds stolen, usually by scam accounts that lure users into downloading malware, giving up personal information, or getting hacked by unsafe third-party sites. And creators have had their paywalled content stolen and shared publicly (over a terabyte of adult content was published publicly in 2021) — and even worse, some creators have lost their jobs after their employers learned that they posted adult material on OnlyFans.
Most of these situations are avoidable with affordable internet security tools and a good amount of caution — relying only on an unresponsive and unhelpful OnlyFans customer support team is way too risky. So, I put this guide together to help new and current users safely access everything OnlyFans has to offer in 2023.
Is OnlyFans Safe to Use in 2023?
OnlyFans is safe, as long as you’re careful. OnlyFans has risen to prominence in recent years because it provides a fairly secure method for creators to post content and receive money from subscribers to access their content. It’s also a pretty safe platform for subscribers to have access to their favorite creators.
OnlyFans pays creators by automatic payments to a creator’s secure bank account. When it comes to posting content, as long as creators aren’t sharing too much personal information (like their neighborhood, public social media accounts, legal name, etc.) in their content and chats, OnlyFans is a relatively safe site. While abusive messages are unavoidable, OnlyFans makes it pretty easy to block unwanted subscribers (although many creators have complained that OnlyFans needs to enforce stricter punishments for repeat offenders).
For subscribers, OnlyFans uses advanced 3D-Secure payment processing, which records details like location, IP address, and device information for every payment. This makes it extremely difficult for unauthorized users to make a payment through OnlyFans, even if your account is hacked — because the hacker’s information will not match your personal information. However, subscribers still need to watch out for scam accounts that try to gain access to financial information, link users to phishing sites, or trick users into downloading malware onto their systems. That’s why it’s important to run a good internet security solution like Norton when using OnlyFans.
What Are the Risks of Using OnlyFans?
OnlyFans can be risky for creators and subscribers in a variety of ways. Creators face dangerous behavior from subscribers, like stalking and harassment, as well as having their content leaked to other websites. And while subscribers are more likely than creators to get linked to unsafe phishing websites, creators can also experience phishing and malware attacks.
Here are the most common risks of using OnlyFans:
- Privacy risks for creators. Images and videos on OnlyFans are frequently stolen and shared on sites like Reddit, Twitter, and personal blogs. If you’re opening a creator account, you should know that your content can easily be spread around the web. Many OnlyFans creators have lost their jobs, friends, and even family connections when their private adult content on OnlyFans was leaked to the public. It’s also important to keep in mind that persistent subscribers can cobble together small personal details (like city skylines and seasonal changes in the background, shooting locations, etc.) to figure out where a creator is located, especially if a creator shares too much information while chatting with their subscribers.
- Phishing attacks. Predatory creators and subscribers frequently try to lure users off of OnlyFans to third-party sites, where it’s easy to steal user information. Phishing sites are designed to look like OnlyFans or other popular sites so that users will enter their login information and financial information, which can be captured by the phishing site and used by hackers. The best antiviruses on the market all have good anti-phishing and web protection (Norton is my favorite antivirus in 2023).
- Scam accounts. Scam creator and subscriber accounts are extremely common on OnlyFans, and they’re designed to steal a user’s personal information (like their name, address, or public social media accounts) and gain access to a creator’s or subscriber’s finances. Malicious users will even threaten to share private and embarrassing conversations or content unless a ransom is paid. On the other hand, some scam subscribers try to convince creators that they have connections that can help a creator grow their account in order to get a creator’s contact information.
- Malware attacks. There are thousands of spam accounts on OnlyFans designed to lure users off-site and dump malware files like trojans, ransomware, spyware, and even rootkits onto user computers. Malware attacks can only occur when a user downloads a file or is redirected to an unsafe site, which forces malware onto a device using exploit attacks. Antiviruses like Norton and Bitdefender have excellent real-time protection that prevents malware downloads and web protections that block you from entering fake and risky websites.
- Potentially unsafe content for kids. OnlyFans isn’t just for adult content — famous athletes and celebrities use OnlyFans as a space to share behind-the-scenes details of their lives with their supporters. But there’s a lot of porn on OnlyFans, and it‘s really hard to keep kids from accessing explicit material or being coerced by scams and unscrupulous creators using OnlyFans. I strongly advise parents to keep their kids off of this site (you can check out the best antiviruses with parental controls here), or at least use OnlyFans together to make sure kids are being safe while they’re logged in.
How to Protect Your Privacy & Your Devices as an OnlyFans Creator and Subscriber
If you’re an OnlyFans creator, you need to figure out what level of exposure you feel comfortable with — for example, do you want people to be able to see your face, or do you want people in your state or country to be able to find you on OnlyFans? Once you’ve figured out what level of information you’re willing to share with your subscribers (and potentially anyone on the web if/when your content gets leaked), it’s important to have safeguards in place to protect you from stalkers, hackers, and other serious scams.
For subscribers, there are some pretty simple guidelines you should follow to stay safe on OnlyFans — basically, you need to keep your account secured properly, avoid subscribing to suspicious accounts, and make sure your devices are malware-free to prevent being hacked on OnlyFans.
Many of the following tips apply to both creators and subscribers, but some tips are exclusively for creators on OnlyFans:
- Use a private email to create your account. Unfortunately, data breaches happen, and they happen frequently. In 2021 alone, massive data breaches resulted in tens of millions of emails and passwords being leaked from major companies like LinkedIn, Facebook/Meta, and T-Mobile. To protect yourself from a breach, use a separate, private email like ProtonMail that’s just for your OnlyFans account (ProtonMail is free, encrypted, and doesn’t ask for personal information in order to open an account). This way, if any of your information is leaked in a data breach, your personal email and information won’t be connected to your OnlyFans account.
- Enable 2-factor authentication (2FA). OnlyFans provides SMS and time-based one-time password (TOTP) 2FA options. For SMS authentication, OnlyFans simply sends a one-time passcode to your phone number, but this can easily be hacked if your phone is stolen, or through SIM hacking. So, I recommend using a TOTP authenticator — these devices generate a new one-time password on your device every 30 seconds. Google Authenticator is a great TOTP app (and it’s free), and all of the best password managers also have built-in TOTP authenticators.
- Protect your devices with antivirus software. Malware attacks happen all the time, and they pose a huge risk to OnlyFans users — they can crash your system, steal your personal information, and even allow hackers to operate your computer remotely. With remote access tools, hackers can spy on you through your webcam, log into your account and spend thousands of your dollars subscribing to scam creators, or use your OnlyFans account to spam users with phishing and malware links (which could also result in your account being terminated). A good antivirus program with real-time protection keeps 100% of malware off of your computer, phone, tablets, and network. And some antivirus programs like Norton provide useful security features like a password manager, VPN, webcam protection, firewall, and more.
- Keep personal information off of OnlyFans (for creators). For creators, it’s a good rule of thumb to remove any identifying landmarks, personal information, and contact information from all of your pictures, videos, and chats. For example, one creator I know was tracked to her apartment building by a fan who had seen the view out of her window in her videos. Keeping yourself as anonymous as possible on the site prevents stalking as well as doxxing (where somebody’s real name, address, workplace, and other details are published online) — many creators have experienced negative impacts when their OnlyFans accounts went public.
- Keep personal information off of OnlyFans (for subscribers). Subscribers need to be careful too, though. Unscrupulous creators could blackmail you by threatening to leak your private conversations on OnlyFans to friends and family, or pass on your information to shady people that may try and take advantage of you. Never share your real name, contact information, address, or place of work with a creator on OnlyFans.
- Monitor your finances closely (for creators). If money isn’t entering your account from OnlyFans, or you’ve got suspicious charges to your bank account, it’s best to notify your financial institutions as soon as possible. In the event that a shady user tries to freeze the money going to you through OnlyFans or you get hacked, it’s much easier to address and solve any financial issues as they’re happening. Some creators have had incoming payments revoked when subscribers get their banks to reverse transactions, and sometimes OnlyFans can appeal those bank reversals if you catch them in time.
- Monitor your finances closely (for subscribers). It’s important to check your bank statements to ensure that your accounts haven’t been hacked. Since OnlyFans uses 3D-Secure payment processing, it’s easy to dispute false charges to your card. However, OnlyFans makes it really easy to spend money just by clicking on a button — a lot of users will accidentally pay for costly videos and subscriptions without noticing!
- Use watermarks and appeal leaks to OnlyFans (for creators). Unfortunately, if you’re on OnlyFans, chances are that a subscriber will screen capture your content and it will end up on other sites. OnlyFans gives users the option to watermark all content uploaded to the platform, and if you find any of your content on other social media websites, OnlyFans will issue cease and desist notices to remove it (although some creators have complained that OnlyFans doesn’t have a large enough team to handle the number of copyright violations that regularly occur online). You also can reach out directly to the platform where your stolen content is being posted to get it taken down.
Best internet security tools for OnlyFans in 2023
Quick summary of the best internet security tools for OnlyFans users:
- 🥇 Best Antivirus — Norton 360: Provides 100% malware detection, comes with a ton of extras, like a secure firewall, encrypted cloud storage, mobile protection, parental controls, and is super easy to use.
- 🥇 Best VPN — ExpressVPN: Includes high-end security features, like 256-bit AES encryption and a strict no-logs policy, maintains lightning-fast speeds, and covers up to 5 devices across all operating systems and devices.
- 🥇 Best Password Manager — 1Password: Protects passwords with 256-bit AES encryption and zero-knowledge architecture, offers additional tools like biometric login, advanced 2FA options, and has intuitive web and mobile apps.
🥇Norton 360 — Best Overall Antivirus for OnlyFans in 2023
Norton 360 provides advanced anti-malware protections with a host of excellent additional features for Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS to keep your devices safe when you use OnlyFans — it’s my favorite internet security suite on the market in 2023.
Norton’s anti-malware scanner uses a massive malware database as well as tools like heuristic analysis and machine learning to detect even the newest malware threats. In our rigorous antivirus testing, Norton detected 100% of the files we threw at it, including trojans, ransomware, spyware, and rootkits (which many antivirus programs fail to detect).
Norton also provides a ton of additional features that can help protect OnlyFans users, including:
- Webcam protection.
- Password manager.
- Identity theft protection (US only).
- VPN with unlimited data.
- And much more…
Norton’s webcam protections will be really useful for any OnlyFans users that use their cam for creating content or communicating with creators on the site — Norton blocks any malware or unsafe sites that try to access your cam without permission.
Norton’s firewall and anti-phishing protection are essential protections for OnlyFans users, detecting network intrusion, exploit attacks, phishing links, and other web-based attacks that are frequently deployed by scam accounts on OnlyFans.
Also, I was pleasantly surprised by Norton’s password manager and VPN. The password manager doesn’t provide as many features as a top standalone password manager like 1Password, but it’s a really dependable and intuitive password manager. And while the VPN lacks some advanced security features that come with the best standalone VPNs like ExpressVPN, Norton’s VPN has all of the industry-standard security features, maintains fast speeds across all servers, and is very easy to use. Norton’s password manager and VPN are great security tools for OnlyFans users looking to bundle their antivirus with a password manager and VPN.
Norton provides a wide variety of packages for different users. Norton Antivirus Plus costs $14.99 / year* and provides malware protection for a single device, whereas Norton 360 Deluxe provides a full suite of security features for multiple users for only $29.99 / year*. US users can also get access to Norton’s LifeLock identity theft protections, which provide live credit monitoring as well as substantial insurance payouts for identity theft victims. All of Norton’s plans are backed by a generous 60-day money-back guarantee.
🥇 ExpressVPN — Best All-Around VPN for OnlyFans
ExpressVPN is my favorite VPN for using OnlyFans — it provides excellent security and privacy features, maintains lightning-fast speeds, and has easy-to-use apps for all of the major platforms.
It includes the following industry-standard VPN security features:
- 256-bit AES encryption — This is the same encryption used by banks and militaries, making all of your online traffic unreadable to prying eyes, including your internet service provider (it can’t see what websites you’re visiting, such as OnlyFans).
- Kill switch — This feature disconnects you from the internet if your VPN connection drops, preventing any of your data from leaking online. The kill switch ensures you never browse OnlyFans without being connected to an ExpressVPN server.
- No-logs policy — ExpressVPN doesn’t keep records of the websites you visit or the files that you download (and its no-logs policy has been independently audited and verified).
ExpressVPN also has advanced security features like TrustedServer Technology (ExpressVPN’s servers don’t store any data on the hard drive, so all user information is deleted whenever a server reboots), and perfect forward secrecy, which changes your encryption key each time you connect to a server to prevent future or past keys from getting compromised. Plus, it has full leak protection against DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 leaks.
And I really like how ExpressVPN includes split-tunneling, which allows you to choose which apps travel through the VPN and which apps travel through your local network. In my testing, I was able to stream and upload content onto OnlyFans through ExpressVPN’s network, while I checked email over my local network.
And thanks to ExpressVPN’s proprietary Lightway protocol, has the fastest speeds out there. The OnlyFans website instantly loaded and OnlyFans videos started right away and played without any buffering.
ExpressVPN offers several plans, which start at $6.67 / month. ExpressVPN’s yearly plan frequently comes with 3 additional months for free, and all purchases are backed by a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
🥇 1Password — Best Password Manager for OnlyFans Users
1Password has excellent security, is very user-friendly, and includes tons of additional privacy tools. 1Password’s zero-knowledge policy ensures that all user information is encrypted locally with 256-bit AES encryption before any data is stored on 1Password’s servers.
1Password also includes a ton of security features that OnlyFans users will find useful, such as:
- Data breach monitoring.
- Password vault auditing.
- 2FA options (like biometric scan).
- Automatic password changer.
- Emergency access.
- Travel Mode.
- And more…
Users that want to make their OnlyFans login more secure will appreciate its built-in authenticator, which can generate TOTP codes and auto-fill them on OnlyFans — so, even if your password is stolen, hackers won’t be able to log in.
And 1Password’s dark web monitoring tool will give you live updates if any of your personal information shows up in a data breach or dark web forums — this is especially important for OnlyFans creators who frequently have their identities, accounts, and content spread around the web.
I really like how 1Password lets you set up multiple vaults. This way, you can store your login credentials for OnlyFans in a separate and more private vault. Plus, the Families plan allows you to store your sensitive data in a private vault, which isn’t accessible to other family members.
1Password offers a couple of flexible and affordable pricing plans. The Personal plan allows unlimited passwords on unlimited devices and costs $2.99 / month. The Families plan, which costs $4.99 / month, adds a shared password vault and covers up to 5 users. Both subscription plans are backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee.
When using platforms like OnlyFans, you should consider your security and privacy. Use an anonymous email service like ProtonMail for account setup and be cautious about sharing personal details either in content or conversations.
No matter how cautious you are, hackers can still find a way to trick you or exploit possible vulnerabilities. For example, a malware infection can grant hackers remote control of your device, lock your system with ransomware, or wipe out your data entirely. That’s why it’s crucial for both creators and subscribers to get good antivirus software.
Furthermore, you should always use a VPN when accessing OnlyFans — this is because web traffic can be monitored by web trackers, your ISP, the government, and hackers. A VPN encrypts all of your online data. And hackers steal user passwords all the time using phishing attacks, social engineering, and data breaches, so it’s important to secure your account with a strong password manager.
With these tips and tools on your side, you can safely use OnlyFans without worrying about your privacy or security in 2023.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is OnlyFans safe?
Yes, OnlyFans is a secure website, but you should follow our basic guidelines to protect your privacy, your devices, and your data. Millions of people have OnlyFans accounts, and the site has earned its reputation for being a secure online space for all kinds of paid content. However, OnlyFans users can face threats like scam accounts, stalking, harassment, phishing attacks, malware, and more.
Here are some basic tips that will help anyone on OnlyFans, whether they’re a creator trying to earn some extra cash or a subscriber looking to connect with their favorite creators:
- Use a separate, secure email account for your OnlyFans login.
- Avoid external links and don’t download unsafe attachments.
- Don’t share personal information like your location, real name, or workplace.
- Install a comprehensive internet security suite (Norton is the best).
- Get a secure password manager (1Password is my favorite).
- Download a trustworthy VPN (I recommend ExpressVPN).
- Secure your OnlyFans password with 2-factor authentication (2FA).
- Monitor your financial accounts so you can detect fraud quickly.
Is it safe to use a debit card on OnlyFans?
Yes. OnlyFans uses 3D-Secure payment protocols to authenticate and record every transaction, making it easy to dispute any fake transactions. Even if your debit card is stolen, or your account is hacked, OnlyFans’s 3D receipts can record if a payment is made from a different device or foreign IP address. If you’re using a debit card to make online payments, you should protect your devices with a secure antivirus and password manager.
What should you do if your OnlyFans content is leaked?
OnlyFans content is stolen using screen capturing tools all the time, and it often ends up on sites like Twitter and Reddit.
You should use the watermark built into the OnlyFans uploader, so if you see your content on a third-party site, simply ask the OnlyFans legal team to send a copyright notice to any site that’s hosting your watermarked content without your approval. But OnlyFans is a massive website, and it can frequently take weeks or even months for the team to issue copyright notices for specific content.
If you know which user leaked your content, you can block them and notify OnlyFans as well. Different countries and localities have laws about uploading sexual content without consent, and if you know the identity of the content thief, you may be able to file a suit against them (although it can be very difficult if the thief isn’t in the same country as you).
Is there malware on OnlyFans?
OnlyFans doesn’t host or share any malware from its website, but there are tons of scam accounts on OnlyFans that will try and hack your accounts and devices. Because OnlyFans only allows users to stream or download secure files, the only way to get hacked on OnlyFans is to follow a link to a third-party site.
Many scam accounts will offer to pay creators more money if they make accounts on other sites, or scam creators will tell subscribers that they can get access to tons of cheap content on other sites. Never follow an external link from an unknown account on OnlyFans.
A good antivirus program like Norton has web shields that will block phishing sites, and they can also prevent you from downloading malware or getting hacked by exploit attacks.
How should I start an OnlyFans account?
Creators and subscribers should both start by using a private email address when they make their OnlyFans account. ProtonMail is a free and secure email service that doesn’t ask for any user information before you make your account. This ensures that, if any sort of data breach occurs with any of your online accounts, there’s no way to link your OnlyFans account with your identity.
Any user setting up an OnlyFans account should install a top-notch antivirus program, VPN, and password manager on their devices to provide a full set of security protection against the latest cyber attacks.