Short on time? Here’s how to fix the Netflix proxy error message:
- Get a VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN as it consistently accesses Netflix without encountering a proxy error message thanks to its excellent streaming support, and it provides the fastest streaming speeds in the industry.
- Download and install the VPN. It typically only takes a few minutes to complete this process.
- Connect to a server in your home country and log into your Netflix account. That’s it! Now, you’re all set to start watching your favorite TV shows and movies.
Netflix has become really good at blocking users if it detects they’re using a proxy like a VPN. When this happens, you will get a proxy error message when you try to access your account — and Netflix will tell you to turn off the proxy or VPN and then try to log in again.
This occurs because Netflix has different content available in different countries due to licensing fees. In short, Netflix doesn’t want users to access content that they’re not licensed to access.
Unfortunately, many VPNs are unable to bypass the proxy error, and even the ones that can avoid it require you to disconnect and connect to several different servers before you’re successful — this process is very time-consuming and frustrating.
But the good news is that there are a handful of VPNs that work with Netflix 100% of the time. I tested all of the most popular VPNs on the market in 2022 to see which ones are the best for avoiding and fixing the Netflix proxy error message, and my top 3 choices were successful every single time.
What Is the Netflix Proxy Error & Why Am I Seeing It?
A proxy server is a server that acts as an intermediary between you and your internet. Instead of connecting to the internet directly through your internet service provider (ISP) or Wi-Fi network, you first connect to a proxy server (or VPN), which changes your IP address and encrypts your traffic.
If Netflix detects that you’re using a VPN, you will receive a proxy error message when you try to access your account. Netflix issues proxy errors because it has licensing agreements with third-party production studios — so some of its content is only available in certain countries (for example, the latest season of Ozark may be available in the US, but not in Japan).
If you’re receiving the Netflix proxy error, it’s probably because you’re using a low-quality VPN to access Netflix. Most VPNs can’t get around Netflix’s proxy error — even when you’re trying to access your account while connected to a server in your home country.
Fortunately, there are great streaming VPNs like ExpressVPN that can avoid Netflix’s strong proxy-blocking technology.
The 3 Best VPNs for Accessing Netflix Without the Proxy Error Message
Quick summary of the best VPNs for accessing Netflix without the proxy error message:
- 1. 🥇ExpressVPN — Best VPN for accessing Netflix without proxy errors.
- 2. 🥈Private Internet Access — Great for avoiding the Netflix proxy error message on mobile.
- 3. 🥉CyberGhost VPN — Accesses Netflix with dedicated streaming servers.
- How to Choose a VPN for Accessing Netflix Without Proxy Error Messages.
- What to Do if You Keep Seeing the Netflix Proxy Error After Installing a Premium VPN.
- How to Avoid & Fix the Netflix Proxy Error on Any Device.
- Frequently Asked Questions about Fixing the Netflix Proxy Error in 2022.
🥇1. ExpressVPN — Best VPN for Avoiding Netflix’s Proxy Error in 2022
ExpressVPN is my favorite VPN for avoiding Netflix’s proxy error in 2022 — it’s able to consistently access Netflix without any issues, it has the fastest streaming speeds on the market, and it’s very easy to use. My colleagues in other countries like the UK, Serbia, Romania, Canada, Japan, Israel, New Zealand, and Pakistan also reported that they didn’t get the Netflix proxy error while connected to their local ExpressVPN server.
In my speed tests, I was extremely impressed with how I was able to stream Outer Banks in HD quality on my Windows PC without any lag or interruptions. 4K videos also started right away and there was no buffering. When I connected to distant servers in Europe and Asia, I still maintained impressive speeds for streaming and browsing. I also like that ExpressVPN has an accurate built-in speed test feature, which allowed me to quickly and easily find the fastest servers.
ExpressVPN is also the best streaming VPN, as it also works with 65+ streaming sites, including other popular apps like Hulu, Amazon Prime, BBC iPlayer, and Disney+.
It also comes with intuitive apps for all platforms, including iOS, Android, Windows, macOS, Linux, smart TVs, and even routers. I also like how ExpressVPN has its own SmartDNS feature, called MediaStreamer, which allows you to access and stream Netflix on devices without native VPN apps — I was able to watch Netflix content on my Xbox.
ExpressVPN provides all of the industry-standard VPN security features, including an independently audited and verified no-logs policy. Additionally, it includes advanced security features like RAM-only servers (every server reset wipes all data) and perfect forward secrecy (changes your encryption key to make sure hackers can’t compromise past or future encryption keys to spy on your streaming traffic). You also get Threat Manager, which blocks you from visiting malicious sites, as well as a free password manager (ExpressVPN Keys) to help you secure and keep track of your Netflix account and password.
ExpressVPN allows 5 simultaneous connections and has several paid plans that start at $6.67 / month. While ExpressVPN is a bit pricey, it provides the best value on the market, plus it often includes 3 free additional months with its longest-term deal. ExpressVPN backs all plans with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
🥈2. Private Internet Access — Great for Streaming Netflix on Android & iOS Devices
Private Internet Access (PIA) works with Netflix all of the time, has very fast streaming speeds, and comes with highly customizable mobile apps. No matter what US server I connected to, my Netflix homepage loaded right away, and my colleagues had the same experience.
PIA had really fast speeds in my testing — it uses the WireGuard protocol, which is very secure and fast, but it’s still not as fast as ExpressVPN. That being said, Netflix content in HD and 4K always started right away for me. On some very distant servers, videos still loaded quickly, but sometimes there were minor delays. I also like how PIA lists the latency (the time it takes for a signal to travel from your device to the server) for all of its servers and uses a basic color-coded system to help you easily identify the servers with the lowest latency and fastest speeds.
If you really like to tinker with your settings, you’re going to love PIA’s Android and iOS apps. Each one allows you to personalize 20+ settings to enhance your streaming experience, including changing your encryption level to 128-bit AES encryption (it may give slightly faster speeds than 256-bit AES) and deciding if you approve connections to unsecured Wi-Fi networks (for streaming Netflix at an airport, hotel, or cafe).
Along with Netflix, PIA works with all of the other top streaming sites, including Disney+, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and BBC iPlayer. And it works with tons of different devices, and it has SmartDNS so you can stream on devices that don’t have a VPN app (similar to ExpressVPN’s Media Streamer).
For security features, PIA has RAM-only servers, perfect forward secrecy, a verified no-logs policy, and open-source apps, which means that anyone can inspect its software code to make sure there are no security vulnerabilities.
PIA allows up to 10 simultaneous connections, has monthly and yearly plans starting at $2.19 / month, and backs all plans with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
🥉3. CyberGhost VPN — Specialized Servers to Access Netflix
CyberGhost VPN consistently accesses Netflix without any proxy error messages thanks to dedicated Netflix streaming servers. It has dedicated Netflix servers in at least 13 countries, including the US, Canada, Brazil, India, South Korea, Japan, Australia, and 6 countries in Europe. It also has dedicated servers for Netflix on Fire Stick and Android TV in 5 countries.
These servers are optimized to bypass the proxy error message by constantly refreshing IP addresses, and they provide very fast speeds for streaming — my Netflix shows always started right away on my computer and Android phone while I was connected to CyberGhost’s dedicated Netflix servers (and also the regular US servers). However, my videos took about 5-7 seconds to load on distant servers, which was slightly slower than with ExpressVPN and Private Internet Access. But don’t worry if there’s not a Netflix server in your country — CyberGhost claims that all of its servers in 90+ countries are able to bypass the proxy error and have fast speeds for smooth streaming.
I also love how CyberGhost has dedicated streaming servers for 80+ streaming services (including Amazon Prime, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, and so many more) in 17+ countries — making it one of the top VPNs for streaming. CyberGhost has intuitive apps for all of the major devices (but not routers), and you also get Smart DNS for devices that don’t have a VPN app.
CyberGhost VPN provides top-notch security and privacy — there’s full leak protection, a transparency report that details all user data requests CyberGhost receives and how it doesn’t share any data, and advanced security features like RAM-only servers and perfect forward secrecy.
CyberGhost VPN allows 7 simultaneous connections and has reasonable paid plans starting at $2.23 / month. It backs its long-term plans with a 45-day money-back guarantee and its shortest plan with a 14-day refund.
How to Choose a VPN for Accessing Netflix Without Proxy Error Messages
- Avoids the Netflix proxy error 100% of the time. The VPN has to reliably access Netflix while avoiding proxy errors. In our tests, my colleagues and I were able to consistently stream Netflix content without experiencing any proxy errors with each of our picks. My favorite VPN for avoiding the proxy error is ExpressVPN, which has the fastest speeds for streaming in the industry and really easy-to-use apps for all of the major operating systems.
- Excellent streaming support. Good VPNs are also able to access many other streaming services. All of the VPNs here work with the popular streaming services, including Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and Amazon Prime.
- Fast streaming speeds. VPNs slow your speeds because they add layers of encryption, but top brands minimize the slowdown and maintain fast speeds across all servers. All of the VPNs on this list provided me with fast streaming speeds, but I had the fastest speeds with ExpressVPN.
- Ease of use. I only recommend VPNs that come with intuitive apps for all of the most popular platforms (Android, iOS, Windows, macOS, and smart TVs), are quick and easy to download and install, and make it easy to connect to a server to bypass the proxy error and stream your favorite Netflix shows.
- Strong security and privacy. All of the VPNs I recommend protect your data using bank-grade encryption, a no-logs policy (ensures the VPN doesn’t log your IP address and traffic), a kill switch (disables your internet access if the VPN connection drops to prevent traffic leaks), and strong leak protection.
- Pricing. All of the VPNs listed here allow at least 5 connections (Private Internet Access lets you connect up to 10 devices at once), have affordable plans, accept multiple payment options, and back each purchase with a money-back guarantee.
What to Do if You Keep Seeing the Netflix Proxy Error After Installing a Premium VPN
- Disconnect and reconnect with the VPN — Turning the service off and back on again may fix the issue.
- Clear your cache and cookies — Location data is sometimes stored in your browser cache and Netflix can see that information. In your browser settings, clear your cache and cookies. Then you can reopen Netflix while connected to the VPN server.
- Choose a different VPN server — Try connecting to a different VPN server in the same country. Refresh Netflix and see if you can avoid the proxy error.
- Make sure your VPN software is up to date — Download and install any available updates, reconnect to the VPN server, and try accessing Netflix.
- Check to see if your location data is leaking — Your VPN should hide your IP address and replace it with a virtual IP address, but sometimes data can leak in other ways. Run a leak test (for DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks) and make sure that only the VPN’s IP address is detected.
- Contact customer service — Speak to a VPN support agent and ask which servers currently work with Netflix. ExpressVPN has excellent 24/7 live chat (as well as other premium VPNs like Private Internet Access and CyberGhost VPN).
- Check whether you’re connected to a WiFi extender — DNS data from the extender may reveal your actual location and cause the proxy error (even while connected to a VPN). You can install a VPN on your router or configure the extender’s DNS settings to fix this issue.
How to Avoid & Fix the Netflix Proxy Error on Any Device
How to Avoid & Fix the Netflix Proxy Error on a Windows PC or Mac
- Get a premium VPN that works with Netflix. ExpressVPN is my top choice because it has fast speeds and high-level encryption.
- Download and install the VPN. It only takes a few minutes to set up a VPN — just follow the installation wizard’s instructions.
- Open the VPN app, connect to a server, and log into your Netflix account. You can now watch your favorite TV shows and movies while avoiding Netflix’s proxy error warning.
How to Avoid & Fix the Netflix Proxy Error on an iOS or Android device
- Pick a good mobile VPN for Netflix. I recommend ExpressVPN as it has native and user-friendly apps for iOS and Android, as well as strong browser support.
- Install the VPN on your Android or iOS device. It takes just a few minutes to install a VPN — simply follow the installation wizard’s instructions.
- Open the VPN app and connect to a server in the country where you have a Netflix account. Log into Netflix and select your favorite TV show or movie to watch while avoiding the proxy error warning.
How to Avoid & Fix the Netflix Proxy Error on a SmartTV
- Choose a reputable VPN for Netflix. ExpressVPN is my top choice because it’s easy to install on smart TVs and routers.
- On Android TVs. Download and install the VPN app from the app store, launch it, and connect to a server.
- On non-Android TVs. Configure the VPN on your router (ExpressVPN has an easy-to-install router app and includes step-by-step guides for routers) and connect to a server. Once your router is connected to the VPN, all of the devices in your household will be connected to the VPN, including your Smart TV, laptop, mobile devices, and even gaming consoles.
- Access your Netflix account on your Smart TV.Now you can start watching your favorite TV show or movie while avoiding Netflix’s proxy error warning.
FAQs — How to Fix the Netflix Proxy Error in 2022
How do I fix the Netflix proxy error?
Fixing the Netflix proxy error is very simple — it requires only 3 steps:
- Step 1: Get a good VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN as it consistently accesses Netflix without proxy error messages due to its strong encryption and massive server network.
- Step 2: Connect to a server. Choose a server in the country of your home Netflix library.
- Step 3: Log into Netflix. After you sign in to your account, you can now start watching your favorite TV shows and movies on Netflix.
Why does Netflix block VPNs?
Netflix blocks VPNs due to global copyright agreements. As a result, Netflix has to stop subscribers from using VPNs to access content outside the country where they have a Netflix account because it violates these copyright agreements.
However, a quality VPN like the ones on this list can consistently avoid proxy errors and access your home Netflix library from anywhere in the world 100% of the time. I recommend ExpressVPN due to its massive server network with servers in 90+ countries and extremely fast speeds.
What are the most common Netflix error messages?
The most common Netflix error messages are as follows:
- Netflix Error Code M7111. This is better known as the Netflix proxy error, which happens when Netflix detects you’re using a VPN (which is against Netflix policies because of content licensing agreements).
- Netflix Error Code NW 2-5. This error code happens when you have an issue with your internet connectivity. The problem can either be with your router or your device.
- Netflix Error Code 11800. This error is specific to iOS devices and occurs when there is a problem with the playback of content on your device. The major reason for this is that the app data on your device is either corrupted or not updated.
- Netflix Error Code UI-800-3. This error code is most commonly encountered when the cache memory stored in your device is outdated and needs refreshing.
- Netflix Error Code 0013. This error code is specific to Android devices and simply means that the app data belonging to Netflix is corrupted.
What are the benefits of using Netflix with a VPN?
Netflix offers different movies and TV shows in different countries due to licensing agreements. So, if you travel abroad, you may not be able to watch your favorite series. However, a good VPN like the ones on this list will allow you to connect to a server in your country and still access your favorite Netflix content.
Also, a VPN includes excellent security features like 256-bit AES encryption (the same encryption used by banks so no one can monitor the shows you stream on Netflix), a kill switch (it disconnects you from the internet if the VPN connections drops to prevent data leaks), and a no-logs policy (to prevent the VPN from logging your online traffic).