Short on time? Here’s how to cancel your Webroot subscription and get a refund in 2022:
- 1. Cancel your Webroot subscription. You will need to turn auto-renewal off to cancel your subscription and prevent any future charges on your account. Then you can request a refund from the Webroot website.
- 2. Uninstall Webroot. On your Windows device, use Windows’s built-in uninstaller and follow the Webroot uninstall wizard’s directions. Mac users can simply drag the Webroot app icon into the Trash to uninstall.
- 3. Try an alternative antivirus. Use an alternative premium antivirus that better suits your needs. I recommend Norton 360 due to its overall strength, affordability, reliability, and ease of use.
Canceling your Webroot subscription and getting a refund is fairly quick and straightforward. When I tested it in 2022, the entire process only took 5–10 minutes and there was no pressure to continue my subscription.
In this article I’ll explain how to cancel and uninstall Webroot on PC, macOS, Android, and iOS devices.
I also tested all of the top Webroot alternatives on the market for malware detection, web protections, additional features, and overall value. Since you shouldn’t leave your devices unprotected after you uninstall Webroot, I included my top 3 favorite alternatives to Webroot below (Norton is my favorite).
How to Cancel Your Webroot Subscription (Step-by-Step Guide)
How to Cancel Your Webroot Subscription on Your Computer
- Go to Webroot’s website, click Log In, and log into your account.
- From the Webroot homepage, click Subscriptions. Then, from the Manage column, select Options.
- You need to turn off automatic renewal to prevent any future charges. Enter your key code on the Webroot website to remove automatic renewal from your subscription preferences.
- Fill out and submit a refund request form on the Webroot website. You will need to submit the invoice number and the exact dollar amount shown on the invoice total in order to receive a refund. In my testing, Webroot reimbursed funds to my checking account in just 36 hours.
- Choose an alternative antivirus once you’ve received your refund. Norton is my favorite choice because it caught more malware in my testing than Webroot, plus it has excellent additional features like a password manager, mobile apps, and parental controls. Bitdefender is another excellent premium option (with a cloud-based scanner like Webroot), and Malwarebytes is a low-cost and minimal option with a good malware scanner.
How to Cancel Your Webroot Subscription on Your iPhone or iPad
Because Webroot’s protections can only be purchased from its website (not the Apple App store), you can simply follow my directions above to cancel Webroot on your iPhone or iPad’s web browser.
Once your subscription is canceled, follow my directions below to uninstall Webroot from your iPhone or iPad.
How to Cancel Your Webroot Subscription on Your Android Smartphone or Tablet
Webroot doesn’t handle payments through the Google Play Store, so you can just log into the browser on your Android device and follow my instructions above to remove Webroot from your Android device.
Once you’ve canceled your Webroot subscription, pick a new antivirus solution and then follow my instructions to remove Webroot from your Android device.
Best Webroot Alternatives in 2022
Quick summary of the best Webroot alternatives in 2022:
🥇1. Norton 360 — Best Premium Webroot Alternative
Norton 360 offers excellent anti-malware protection, good extra features, and useful apps for Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS.
Its antivirus scanning engine is powered by heuristic analysis and machine learning, which allows it to scan, find, and remove both well-known and newer malware files (including ransomware, spyware, cryptojackers, rootkits and more).
In my tests, Norton scored a 100% protection rating during all of my tests, whereas Webroot only identified and removed 93% of the malware present on my device.
Norton 360 also comes with:
- Secure firewall.
- Password manager.
- VPN (with unlimited data).
- Webcam protection.
- Dark web monitoring.
- Cloud storage.
- Identity theft protection (US only).
- And a lot more…
Norton’s powerful dark web monitoring service gives real-time notifications if any of your personal information is involved in a data breach, and its firewall and web protections blocked 100% of the network intrusions, phishing sites, and exploit attacks in my testing. Webroot, on the other hand, doesn’t offer any dark web monitoring service, and its web protections were pretty buggy in our testing.
Norton provides excellent value across all of its packages, offering more useful features than any competitor. Its best-value plan is Norton 360 Deluxe — for $49.99 / year, you get all of the features above, plus up to 5 licenses, up to 50 GB cloud storage, and access to some of the best parental controls on the market. US users also get the option to purchase Norton’s LifeLock packages, which offer some of the best identity theft protections on the market starting at just $19.99 / year.
Norton 360 is an overall great antivirus — it’s reliable, easy to use, and affordable. It’s the best choice for home users looking for a complete, intuitive antivirus with some of the best cybersecurity protections out there, and it comes with a generous 60-day money-back guarantee.
🥈2. Bitdefender — Best Lightweight Webroot Alternative
Bitdefender is a lightweight, cloud-based antivirus with excellent malware detection rates and a ton of useful extra features. It’s very easy to use across all devices and operating systems, and it’s more affordable than most top competitors.
Bitdefender’s cloud-based anti-malware engine uses a massive malware database along with machine learning and advanced heuristics to detect the latest malware threats. And because it’s cloud-based (like Webroot), it doesn’t cause as much system slowdown during scans.
During my testing, Bitdefender found and removed 100% of the malware files on my Windows, macOS, and Android systems.
It also comes with extra features like:
- Web protections.
- Ransomware protection.
- System optimizer.
- VPN (200 MB/daily).
- Parental controls.
- Password manager.
- Webcam protection.
- And a lot more…
Bitdefender’s web protections are excellent — the anti-phishing protection blocked more phishing sites in my testing than either Chrome or Firefox’s built-in protections.
And I’m a big fan of Bitdefender’s multi-layer ransomware protection.This feature adds a data-protection layer over your important files so that they can’t be encrypted during a ransomware attack. Webroot doesn’t have a fail-safe anti-ransomware feature like this.
Bitdefender has several low-cost packages that all come with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee. Bitdefender Internet Security comes with coverage for up to 3 Windows computers for $32.99 / year, while Bitdefender Total Security adds up to 5 licenses for Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS for $35.99 / year. There’s also Bitdefender Premium Security, which includes all of Bitdefender’s features, plus the VPN with no limitations, for $69.99 / year.
🥉3. Malwarebytes — Best Minimal Webroot Alternative
Malwarebytes is a minimal antivirus that offers good malware protection, web protections, and a decent VPN. It’s similar to Webroot in that it provides a minimal set of features, rather than the full suite approach offered by Norton and Bitdefender.
During my testing, Malwarebytes detected 95% of the malware test files on my device with its on-demand scanner, which is a pretty good result. It also successfully identified and blocked 92% of the phishing sites I tried visiting during testing — Webroot only blocked 80%.
And Malwarebytes’s VPN is pretty decent for users that are looking to enhance their online privacy. It provides unlimited data, servers in 30 countries, and fast connection speeds. However, Malwarebytes’s VPN isn’t a good choice for streaming or torrenting (if you’re looking for a good VPN to access streaming sites and torrent files, I recommend ExpressVPN).
While I’d like to see Malwarebytes add some extra features, it’s a good choice for Webroot users that are looking for another minimal antivirus program that they can install and forget about.
Malwarebytes is also very reasonably priced, with plans starting at just $44.99 / year. There’s a 14-day free trial and a generous 60-day money-back guarantee on all premium plans.
How to Uninstall & Fully Remove Webroot Files From Your Devices
If you’re selecting an alternative antivirus, you need to uninstall Webroot (having multiple antivirus programs running simultaneously can actually make their scanners malfunction). The uninstall process is different for every operating system, so I’ve broken the process down for different OS’s and different versions of Windows.
How to Uninstall Webroot From Your Windows PC or Laptop
Uninstall Webroot on Windows 11
- Click the Start button on the bottom left corner of your screen.
- Type “programs” in the search bar on the Start Menu.
- Click on Add or remove programs after it pops up in the Start Menu.
- Scroll through the App list until you find Webroot’s icon. Select the 3 horizontal dots next to Webroot, and click Uninstall.
- Follow the directions from Webroot’s uninstallation wizard.
Uninstall Webroot on Windows 10
- Type “remove” in the search bar in the bottom left corner and select Add or remove programs.
- Scroll down the list of installed apps until you find the icon for Webroot. Click on it, before selecting Uninstall two times.
- Follow Webroot’s uninstallation wizard until it’s finished.
Uninstall Webroot on Windows 8
- In the search bar, type “control panel” and click on the Control Panel icon when it pops up.
- Click Uninstall a program in the bottom left corner.
- Scroll down this menu until you find Webroot. Click on the program, then select Uninstall.
- Follow Webroot’s uninstallation wizard until the program is successfully uninstalled.
Uninstall Webroot on Windows 7
- Select the start menu and click on the Control Panel.
- Click Uninstall a program.
- Scroll through this next menu until you see Webroot. Click on it and then click Uninstall.
- Follow the uninstallation wizard until Webroot is uninstalled from your system.
How to Uninstall Webroot From Your Mac
- Open the Webroot app.
- Click on the Webroot app menu in the top-right of the screen and click About SecureAnywhere.
- Click Uninstall Webroot SecureAnywhere.
- Restart your computer (this will fully remove Webroot from your Mac).
How to Uninstall Webroot From Your iPhone or iPad
- Press and hold the Webroot iOS app icon until a small pop-up window appears.
- Tap Remove App (usually located at the bottom of the list), then Delete App > Delete. *If you’re running an older version of iOS and the icons are shaking on the screen, there should be an “X” on the top left corner of your Webroot Mobile Security icon. Tap the “X”, then tap Delete. You can then click Done or your iPhone home button.
How to Uninstall Webroot From Your Android Smartphone or Tablet
- Open the Settings app, and then tap Apps.
- Scroll down to and tap the Webroot icon.
- Tap Uninstall in the App info menu.
- Press and hold the Webroot app icon and tap App info.
- In the App info menu, tap Uninstall.
How to Cancel Webroot Subscription — Frequently Asked Questions
What is Webroot’s refund policy?
Webroot’s home-user plans come with a 70-day money-back guarantee. You must submit a refund request form to receive your refund. But make sure you have your invoice number and the exact dollar amount shown on the invoice before you start the refund process.
If you’re uninstalling Webroot from all of your devices, make sure you aren’t leaving your system unprotected. There are a lot of good Webroot alternatives on the market in 2022, including my favorite antivirus program, Norton 360 (which has better malware detection rates, better anti-phishing protection, and more additional features than Webroot).
How long does it take to get your money back after canceling Webroot?
After filling out the refund request form, it takes 3–5 business days to get your money back after canceling your Webroot subscription. When I tested it, I had my money back in just over a day.
While Webroot may be quick to issue your refund, factors involved with your payment institution can also impact how long it takes to get your money back. And make sure you’re keeping your system secure — if you’re uninstalling Webroot, you should definitely choose an alternative antivirus to protect you devices.
How do you cancel Webroot auto-renewal?
To cancel auto-renewal, go to the Webroot website and log into your account. Then select the Subscriptions option, hit the Manage button, and choose to turn off auto-renewal.