Published on: February 28, 2022
Short on time? Here’s the best VPN for watching the NFL 2022 season from anywhere:
- 🥇ExpressVPN — Works with all NFL streaming sites, maintains super-fast streaming speeds, comes with high-end security features, and works with 65+ streaming sites. It’s also easy to install, has an intuitive interface, offers affordable plans, and backs each purchase with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
I was really fired up to catch one of the best rivalries in the NFL — the Baltimore Ravens versus the Pittsburgh Steelers, but when I turned on my television, it wasn’t available in my region (and instead I was stuck with a different out-of-market game I wasn’t interested in). The same weekend one of my buddies traveled outside of the country and was also unable to stream the game.
The good news is there’s an easy way to avoid this situation from happening in the future. All you need to do is use a virtual private network (VPN).
A VPN has servers located all over the world, and when you connect to one, your device is assigned a new IP address that matches your server location. For example, if you’re from the US and travel to Europe, you can connect to a server in the US to get a US IP address. This way, all of the websites and apps you use will think your device is in the US — allowing you to access live NFL games and major TV networks. Or, you can connect to a server in a different region of the US to access games that are blacked out in your area.
This process also works for NFL fans who live outside the US and stream NFL games with a streaming service like NFL International Game Pass and fuboTV. If you travel outside of the country where your account is established, a VPN can help you connect to a server in your home country so you can access your NFL catalog.
There are literally tons of VPNs out there, so how do you know which ones are the best for streaming NFL games? I saved you the work and tested dozens of the top VPNs on the market in 2022 with popular NFL streaming sites, and I was able to watch virtually any NFL game I wanted with my top 3 picks.
Only 3 steps (Quick + Easy) to Watch the NFL 2022 Season From Anywhere:
- Step 1. Download and install a VPN that works with streaming platforms that broadcast live NFL games. I recommend ExpressVPN because it works with all of the top NFL streaming services (as well as 65+ other streaming apps), maintains really fast speeds, and is very easy to use.
- Step 2. Connect to a VPN server. Scan the server menu and choose a server in your home country or your desired server location.
- Step 3. Log into your favorite NFL streaming site or app.Now, it’s time to grab your favorite snack and beverage and pick which game you want to watch.
The 3 Best VPNs for Watching the NFL 2022 Season
Quick summary of the best VPNs for watching the NFL 2022 season:
- 1.🥇ExpressVPN — Best overall VPN for watching the NFL 2022 season.
- 2.🥈CyberGhost VPN — Dedicated streaming servers for watching NFL games.
- 3.🥉PrivateVPN — Great for NFL fans who are new to VPNs.
- How to Choose the Best VPN for Watching the NFL 2022 Season.
- How to Watch NFL Content on Any Device.
- What Streaming Services Stream Live NFL Games?
- Frequently Asked Questions about Streaming NFL Games.
🥇1. ExpressVPN — Best VPN for Watching the NFL
ExpressVPN is my top choice for watching NFL games anywhere because it’s able to access almost every streaming platform that airs live NFL games, has some of the fastest speeds in the industry, and is very secure.
ExpressVPN is excellent for streaming and works with over 65 streaming services, including sites that broadcast NFL games like Peacock, Paramount+, Fox Sports, Hulu, Amazon Prime, DAZN, and ESPN. Plus, it has 3,000+ servers located in 90+ countries (including 160+ locations in different regions of the US) so most users can find a server in their home country.
In my tests, ExpressVPN only reduced my speeds on local servers by an average of about 7%, which is blazing-fast. I didn’t miss a single second of NFL action — games quickly loaded, and there was no buffering or interruptions during both live and recorded games in HD.
Finding the fastest server is also very easy with the help of ExpressVPN’s built-in speed test, which tests all of its servers in real-time and allows you to easily choose the fastest one.
I like that ExpressVPN lets you stream NFL games from many different devices. Not only does it support major operating systems like Android, iOS, Windows, and iOS, but it also works on smart TVs, Amazon Fire Stick, and even routers, which means any device connected to your router can connect to ExpressVPN’s servers. It also has a feature called MediaStreamer that’s designed for streaming on devices that normally can’t use VPNs, like some smart TVs.
When it comes to security, ExpressVPN is hands-down one of the best. In addition to industry-standard VPN security features, it includes full built-in leak protection against DNS, IPv6, and webRTC leaks, its no-logs policy has been independently audited multiple times, and you get RAM-only servers (no data is stored on the hard drive) and perfect forward secrecy (changes your encryption keys after each session to prevent future and past keys from getting hacked).
ExpressVPN allows 5 connections and its subscription plans start at $6.67 / month. While I know this is a little higher than other competitors, ExpressVPN is 100% worth the money — it often comes with extra months for free, plus it’s ranked #1 on our list of the top 10 VPNs in 2022. ExpressVPN covers each purchase with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
🥈2. CyberGhost VPN — Dedicated Streaming Servers & Very Fast Speeds
CyberGhost VPN has really fast speeds for streaming NFL games, and it also comes with specialized servers that are optimized to work with specific streaming apps in specific countries.
CyberGhost only reduced my speeds by 10% on local servers (about the same as ExpressVPN) and the HD quality was crisp and there was no buffering or interruptions when I connected to a US server on the other side of the country to stream the Giants vs. Cowboys game. However, CyberGhost is not as fast as ExpressVPN on distant servers, as I experienced some minor slowdowns in Europe (it took up to 10 seconds for videos to start but there were no delays once they got started).
While CyberGhost doesn’t have a built-in speed test, it displays the server load percentage (this shows how many active users are connected to a server), which helps you quickly find the fastest servers. In my tests, the servers with the lowest load always provided the fastest speeds.
One of my favorite things about CyberGhost is its giant list of dedicated streaming servers (for 50+ streaming services in 15 different countries). These servers are very easy to find, optimized to work with each streaming service, and provide the fastest streaming speeds. Plus, CyberGhost has dedicated streaming servers for many streaming sites that air NFL games, including YouTube, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime, Fox Sports, and more. That being said, I prefer the convenience that ExpressVPN offers (all of its servers are optimized for all streaming services).
As far as security goes, CyberGhost comes with RAM-only servers, perfect forward secrecy, DNS and webRTC leak protection (but you have to manually disable IPv6 traffic), and it issues a transparency report that proves the provider doesn’t store or share user data.
CyberGhost allows 7 connections, has multiple pricing plans (as low as $2.29 / month), and typically offers free months on its longest plan. The yearly plans are covered by a 45-day money-back guarantee, while the monthly plan comes with a 14-day money-back guarantee.
🥉3. PrivateVPN — Great for New Users & Good for Streaming
PrivateVPN has a minimalistic design that makes it great for people who have never used a VPN. It’s extremely easy to navigate all of the apps and connect to a server, and since there aren’t many options under the settings menu, PrivateVPN is really simple to use. Also, the website includes a lot of support articles to help you install it on your favorite device — and there’s even a remote help option, where you allow a customer support representative to access your device to assist you in installing one of PrivateVPN’s apps on your device.
One of the best things for beginners is the Simple View mode, which keeps functionality to a minimum (the Advanced View gives users more customization options like changing encryption levels and switching protocols).
In my tests, I barely noticed any difference in speeds while connected to a local server than when I was connected to my local network, but PrivateVPN wasn’t nearly as fast on distant servers as ExpressVPN and CyberGhost VPN. That said, PrivateVPN displays the latency of each server, which is how long it takes the internet signal to reach the server. This helps you choose the fastest server — and PrivateVPN uses an easy color-coded system (green for good, yellow for medium, and red for bad) to identify the fastest servers.
PrivateVPN allows access to most NFL streaming sites like ESPN, YouTube, Peacock, and even DAZN, but I was unable to access CBC and Paramount+ — ExpressVPN works with both of these streaming services. PrivateVPN also works with all of the popular sites like Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Disney+.
PrivateVPN allows 10 connections, making it a great choice for larger households that like to stream NFL games, and it’s really cheap — the best-valued plan costs just $2.00 / month. All plans have a 30-day money-back guarantee.
How to Choose the Best VPN for Streaming the NFL 2022 Season
- Works with many NFL streaming services. With so many streaming services showing NFL games, the VPN must be able to work with multiple streaming services that broadcast NFL games. In our tests, my colleagues from all over the world and I were able to watch live NFL games with all 3 of the VPNs listed here.
- Works with other streaming sites. All of the VPNs I recommend also work with other streaming platforms like Netflix and Disney+. ExpressVPN is my favorite, as it’s able to access 65+ streaming apps.
- Fast speeds. All VPNs slow down your speeds due to the encryption process, and there’s nothing worse than having your game buffer in the middle of an amazing play. However, all of the VPNs on this list maintain fast speeds across all of their servers so you won’t miss a minute of the action (ExpressVPN provided me with the fastest speeds).
- Support for your device(s). Most premium VPNs support a wide range of devices from PCs, to smartphones to smart TVs, but make sure the VPN you choose supports the device(s) you use to watch NFL games. I only recommend VPNs that offer apps for many different platforms.
- Strong security. All of the VPNs I recommend include industry-standard VPN security features like 256-bit AES encryption (the same level of encryption used by banks), a kill switch (disconnects you from the internet if your VPN connection drops to prevent data leaks), and a strict no-logs policy (prevents the VPN from logging your online traffic).
- Affordability. All of the VPNs listed here offer budget-friendly pricing plans, accept multiple forms of payment, and back each purchase with a 30-day money-back guarantee. Also, they all allow at least 5 simultaneous connections.
How to Watch NFL Games on Any Device
How to Watch NFL Games on Your PC or Mac
- Choose a good NFL streaming VPN. My favorite VPN for streaming live NFL games is ExpressVPN — it works with all of the streaming sites that broadcast NFL games (including Hulu, Amazon Prime, and NFL Game Pass), has lightning-fast speeds, and is very easy to use.
- Download and install the VPN. Follow the installation wizard’s instructions, and it should only take a couple of minutes to complete the process.
- Open the VPN app, connect to a server, and log into your desired streaming app. Now, you’re ready to stream live games of your favorite teams.
How to Watch NFL Games on Your Smartphone or Tablet
- Choose a good NFL streaming VPN that works with iOS and Android. ExpressVPN is an excellent choice because it has top-notch mobile apps.
- Download and install the VPN. Simply follow the installation instructions, and the VPN should be installed within minutes.
- Open the VPN app, connect to a server, and open your favorite NFL streaming app. Now, you can stream from anywhere and you won’t miss a single snap, tackle, or touchdown.
How to Watch NFL Games on Your Smart TV
- Choose a good NFL streaming VPN that works with your smart TV. All VPNs on this list work with many popular smart TVs, but ExpressVPN has its MediaStreamer feature, which allows you to use the VPN on devices that don’t have a VPN app (like Apple TV).
- Android TVs: Download the VPN app and install it like any other app.
- Non-Android TVs: Install the VPN on your router. Follow the VPN’s instructions to install the VPN on your home’s router (ExpressVPN has an easy-to-use router app). As long as your smart TV is connected to the router, it will gain all the benefits of being connected to the VPN.
- Connect to a server and log into your go-to NFL streaming service. You’re all set to watch all of the games on Sunday, as well as the key matchups on Monday and Thursday nights.
How to Watch NFL Games on Your Gaming Console
- Choose a VPN that can be installed on your router. All premium VPNs have a list of compatible routers on their website, so make sure the VPN will work with your router. ExpressVPN has a great router app and provides step-by-step instructions for how to install it.
- Install the VPN on your router. Follow the VPN’s instructions, and once the VPN is configured to your router, all of the devices in your home that are connected to the router will be connected to the VPN.
- Connect your router to a VPN server and log into your favorite NFL streaming app. That’s all — now you’re ready to watch your favorite NFL teams battle each other.
How to Watch NFL Games Using Amazon Fire Stick
- Choose a VPN that can access NFL streaming apps and works with Amazon Fire Stick. I like ExpressVPN because it has an easy-to-use Amazon Fire Stick app.
- Download and install the VPN.It should only take a few minutes to complete the process.
- Open the app and connect to a server.Now all you need to do is invite your friends over to watch a full slate of NFL games on Sunday.
What Streaming Services Stream Live NFL Games?
- NFL Game Pass International. The NFL’s official streaming service offers streaming of live games for international users (US viewers are only able to watch replays of games).
- Hulu. In addition to its other movies and shows, Hulu gives you access to live NFL streams from Fox, ESPN, CBS, NBC, FS1, and other regional networks.
- Paramount+. This is CBS’s official streaming platform that offers live NFL games through its Live TV streaming service.
- BBC iPlayer. Residents in the UK can watch live games for free.
- DAZN. This is a popular streaming site available in 8 different countries, including the US, Canada, Italy, Spain, Brazil, Japan. Its subscription includes NFL Game Pass, NFL RedZone, and NFL Sunday Ticket. You can check out our top VPN recommendations for DAZN here.
- YouTube TV. Offers streams from networks such as CBS, ESPN, Fox, and NBC, and also has an add-on package for NFL Redzone.
FAQs — How to Watch the NFL 2022 Season From Anywhere
What’s the best VPN for Live Streaming NFL Games?
The best VPN for live streaming NFL games is ExpressVPN due to its fast speeds and ability to access all NFL streaming sites.
However, all of the VPNs on this list are good for streaming NFL games. For example, CyberGhost VPN offers dedicated servers and really fast speeds, and PrivateVPN is good for new users.
Is it legal to watch NFL games with a VPN?
Yes, it’s completely legal to stream NFL games using a VPN. However, many streaming services will deny you access if they detect that you’re using a VPN. So, you need to make sure you use a good VPN that works with all of the streaming platforms that air live NFL games. My favorite is ExpressVPN thanks to its blazing-fast speeds, intuitive interface, and high-end security.
Where can I watch all NFL Games?
There are many streaming sites that broadcast live NFL games, but the best platform for international viewers is NFL Game Pass International. Other top streaming sites include ESPN, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Amazon Prime, DAZN, FoxSports, Paramount+, and NBC/Peacock.
However, if you travel abroad, you won’t have access to most of these streaming services because your account is only available in the country where you registered it. But a good VPN will allow you to connect to a server in the country where your account is registered so you can access your NFL streaming app. ExpressVPN is the best VPN for watching all NFL games — it has servers in 90+ countries, maintains some of the fastest speeds in the industry, and works with all of the streaming services that air NFL games.
Can I watch NFL games with a free VPN?
Maybe, but most free VPNs don’t work with the streaming services that air NFL games. Also, I typically don’t recommend that you use a free VPN, as they are slow, have buggy apps, have small server networks, and lack essential security features.
Instead, you should purchase a premium VPN like ExpressVPN — it works with all of the major streaming apps that air live NFL games, has servers in 90+ countries, maintains very fast speeds, and provides excellent security features.