Only 3 Steps (Quick + Easy) to Watch Netflix US in 2023:
- Step 1: Download and install a VPN that works with Netflix US. I recommend ExpressVPN for its fast speeds, ease of use, and also because it works with other popular US streaming sites like Amazon Prime, Disney+, Hulu, and HBO Max.
- Step 2: Connect to a US server. Open the app and scroll through the list of server locations and pick a US server.
- Step 3: Log into your Netflix account. Access Netflix, look up your favorite US shows and movies, and start binging them!
The best way to watch Netflix US anywhere in the world is to use a VPN. A VPN is an online service that replaces your IP address with an IP address from a different location, like the US. When you connect to a VPN US server, you’ll get a US IP address. When you log into your Netflix account, the site will think you’re in the US, allowing you to watch Netflix US when you’re either inside the US or if you travel abroad.
Netflix uses geo-blocks to stop users outside the US from accessing the US library. It does that to comply with the copyright agreements it signed for the shows and movies it licenses from third parties. While there are a handful of VPNs that are able to access the Netflix US library, not all of them are great options for streaming Netflix.
I tested the best VPNs on the market in 2023 and found the top 5 VPNs that provide the best Netflix US streaming experience. ExpressVPN is my top choice due to its top-notch security and privacy, super-fast speeds on both local and distant servers, and excellent streaming support.
Best VPNs for Watching Netflix US Content 2023:
- 1.🥇 ExpressVPN — Best VPN for watching Netflix US content. Secure, fast & easy to use.
- 2.🥈 CyberGhost VPN — Fast and dedicated Netflix US streaming servers.
- 3.🥉 NordVPN — Good security with fast servers for streaming.
- 4. Surfshark — Great VPN for streaming Netflix US on mobile.
- 5. VyprVPN — User-friendly VPN for Netflix US streaming.
- Comparison of the Best VPNs for Watching Netflix US.
🥇1. ExpressVPN — Best VPN for Streaming Netflix US Titles
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for Netflix US — in my tests, I was always able to access Netflix US to watch popular TV shows. ExpressVPN also provided me with blazing-fast streaming speeds, so HD videos loaded instantly and didn’t buffer, and 4K videos loaded in 1–2 seconds.
It also works with all other popular streaming sites, including top US sites like Hulu, Disney+, and HBO Max. It claims to work with 100+ streaming sites worldwide.
What’s more, ExpressVPN offers servers in 15+ cities across the US, and it has more than one server in 4 different locations, including New Jersey, Los Angelos, Miami, and Dallas — so you’re covered coast-to-coast. This way, you can always connect to a server in the city that is closest to you to get the fastest speeds.
And ExpressVPN is extremely simple to use — it only took me 2–3 minutes to install its Windows and Android apps. The interface is very intuitive and easy to navigate, and it’s really simple to find a US server and connect to it. And you can even create 1-click shortcuts for apps and sites (like Netflix) that show up on your screen after you connect to ExpressVPN.
I also like that ExpressVPN has split-tunneling on its Windows, Android, macOS, and router apps — on my Windows 10 PC, I was able to get faster streaming speeds by only routing Netflix US traffic through ExpressVPN and sending browsing traffic through my internet service provider’s (ISP) network.
ExpressVPN has top-notch security features, including a no-logs policy that’s been independently audited and verified and full leak protection (I ran 10+ leak tests and never saw any leaks). It also has advanced security features like perfect forward secrecy (changes your encryption key for each connection to prevent hackers from compromising past or future keys to monitor your traffic) and RAM-only servers (they don’t store any data on the hard drive and every server reset wipes all of the data).
ExpressVPN starts at $6.67 / month — it’s a bit pricier than other VPNs, but I think the extra cost is worth it because ExpressVPN provides the best overall value (it ranks #1 on our list of the best VPNs in 2023). ExpressVPN backs all plans with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review
🥈2. CyberGhost VPN — Good Speeds + Dedicated Netflix US Streaming Servers
CyberGhost VPN consistently works with Netflix US thanks to its dedicated streaming servers that are strictly optimized for Netflix in the US. These servers refresh their IP addresses very often, so it’s very hard for Netflix to know if you’re using a VPN. That said, ExpressVPN provides better streaming options because it works with Netflix US on all US servers.
Also, CyberGhost has servers in 10+ different cities in the US. While this is less than ExpressVPN, CyberGhost still offers servers in cities in all parts of the country. All of CyberGhost’s regular US servers work with Netflix US, so you can connect to a server in a city closest to you if you need faster speeds.
CyberGhost VPN also works with other streaming platforms — its dedicated streaming servers are able to access 50+ streaming services from 20+ countries, including top US sites like Comedy Central, HBO Max, Hulu, and ESPN+.
In my tests, CyberGhost VPN’s streaming speeds were good but slightly slower than ExpressVPN — HD videos loaded in 3–4 seconds, I only experienced minor buffering at the start of the video, and 4K videos loaded in 4–5 seconds.
I really like how beginner-friendly CyberGhost VPN is — there are different server categories so it’s extremely simple to manually find the Netflix US servers. Also, all settings have easy-to-understand explanations. And the Smart Rules feature lets you customize CyberGhost VPN’s launch settings — for example, I configured the app to automatically connect to the Netflix US server when I open the CyberGhost app.
CyberGhost VPN provides top-notch security and privacy — there’s full leak protection, a regular transparency report that details all user data requests CyberGhost receives and proves that it didn’t comply with any of them, and advanced security features like RAM-only servers. But CyberGhost VPN’s split-tunneling tool is only available on the Android app (unlike ExpressVPN, which supports split-tunneling on multiple platforms).
CyberGhost VPN has several reasonable paid plans, which start at $2.11 / month. I also like how CyberGhost VPN backs its long-term plans with a very generous 45-day money-back guarantee (most VPNs have 30-day money-back guarantees). And CyberGhost backs its shortest plan with a 14-day refund.
Read our full CyberGhost VPN review
🥉3. NordVPN — Fast Servers + Very Secure for Streaming Netflix US
NordVPN comes with very fast and secure servers for streaming Netflix US. I also really like its SmartPlay feature, which combines its security features with smart DNS technology, making it more difficult for Netflix US to detect and block your VPN traffic. In my tests, I was able to access Netflix every time. I can also confirm that NordVPN works with Amazon Prime, Hulu, and Disney+.
Another nice thing about NordVPN is that it has servers in 15+ cities in the US, and they are all spread out across the entire country. Plus, there’s also a fastest server quick connect tool so you don’t even have to figure out which server is the fastest one.
NordVPN also has very good speeds (though it was somewhat slower than ExpressVPN and CyberGhost VPN) — shows in HD and 4K took only seconds to load, and I didn’t experience any buffering.
I like how intuitive NordVPN’s apps are — it only took me 2 minutes to download and install the VPN on my Android and Windows device. You can also set up connection preferences so that NordVPN connects you to a specific server in the US or the fastest server when you launch the app, allowing you to start streaming right away.
It has top-notch advanced security features like RAM-only servers, perfect forward secrecy, full leak protection, and a no-logs policy that has been independently confirmed. NordVPN also has split-tunneling, but it’s only available on Android and Windows devices. ExpressVPN’s split-tunneling feature works on macOS too.
NordVPN has affordable plans that start at $4.99 / month — all of which allow 6 simultaneous connections. Also, all purchases are covered by a 30-day money-back guarantee.
4. Surfshark — Great VPN for Watching Netflix US On the Go
Surfshark’s mobile apps are feature-rich and include very helpful tools that help you stream your favorite Netflix US content on your smartphone or tablet. The Android and iOS apps both come with the IP Rotator feature, which regularly changes your IP address without disconnecting you from the server. This helps prevent Netflix from flagging your IP address and denying you access to the app. The Android app also has the Override GPS Location feature, which ensures that your GPS location matches your server location.
Plus, Surfshark is really easy to use. I installed its apps on my Windows, MacOS, and Android devices and I liked that they were very intuitive — I was able to find and connect to a US server in no more than 5 seconds. Plus, I found it very convenient that Surfshark has servers in 20+ US cities, you can select individual cities as favorites, and it lists the 3 previous servers you connected to on the main window.
Other than Netflix, Surfshark works with other popular streaming platforms like Amazon Prime, BBC iPlayer, and HBO Max, but unfortunately it doesn’t work with Disney+.
Surfshark did really well in my speed tests — HD videos loaded in 1-2 seconds without buffering, while 4K videos loaded within 2–3 seconds with minor buffering but only at the start of the videos. That said, ExpressVPN and CyberGhostVPN were much faster.
Surfshark has great security features. It runs on RAM-only servers, uses perfect forward secrecy, and has an audited no-logs policy. However, unlike ExpressVPN, Surfshark does not offer full leak protection — it only protects you against DNS leaks.
Surfshark’s plans start at only $2.30 / month — so it’s also a good pick if you’re on a tight budget. All plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review
5. VyprVPN — Best Beginner-Friendly VPN for Watching Netflix US
VyprVPN works with Netflix US without any issues and is very beginner-friendly. The interface is intuitive and simple to navigate, its features and settings have helpful explanations, and there’s a search field so it’s easy to find a US server.
And I like how the apps display the server ping (how long it takes for an internet signal to travel from your device to the VPN server) because it helps you locate the fastest US servers to get the best Netflix streaming experiences.
VyprVPN offers access to servers in more than 7 different US cities, including New York, Los Angelos, and Austin — so you can connect to a city on East and West coasts, as well in in central America.
VyprVPN provided me with good speeds, which are on par with CyberGhost VPN, but slower than ExpressVPN — HD videos took 3–5 seconds to load and there was minor buffering when I skipped through them, while 4K videos loaded in 4–6 seconds and there was some buffering at the start of the videos.
VyprVPN also works with other popular streaming sites like Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and Amazon Prime, but it doesn’t work with Disney+ (unlike ExpressVPN and CyberGhost VPN).
VyprVPN comes with a no-logs policy that has been independently audited, has full leak protection, and provides advanced security features like perfect forward secrecy.
VyprVPN’s plans start at $5.00 / month — this is a little expensive, but I still think VyprVPN offers a good value for large households. VyprVPN backs all purchases with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Comparison of the Best VPNs for Watching Netflix US Content in 2023
|VPN||Starting Price||Split-Tunneling||Leak Protection||Number of Connections||Money-Back Guarantee|
|🥇1. ExpressVPN||$6.67 / month||Android ✅
|🥈2. CyberGhost VPN||$2.11 / month||Android ✅
|7||45 days (long-term plans), 14 days (monthly plan)|
|🥉3. NordVPN||$4.99 / month||Android ✅
|4. Surfshark||$2.30 / month||Android ✅
|🥉5. VyprVPN||$5.00 / month||DNS ✅
How to Choose the Best VPN for Streaming Netflix US Content
- Find a VPN that consistently works with Netflix US. The VPN has to work with Netflix US 24/7. I tested all the VPNs on this list at random intervals every day over the past weeks, and they all were able to access Netflix US 100% of the time.
- Consider streaming support on other platforms. Good VPNs also work with other regional streaming sites — for example, ExpressVPN, my top pick, claims to work with 100+ streaming services.
- Ensure it has fast streaming speeds. VPNs slow your speeds because they encrypt your traffic, but top brands minimize the slowdown and maintain fast speeds across all servers. All the VPNs on this list provided me with fast and uninterrupted streaming, but I had the fastest speeds with ExpressVPN.
- Look for a VPN that’s easy to use. I only recommend VPNs that have apps for all major platforms that are easy to install, come with user-friendly interfaces, and make it simple to connect to US servers to access Netflix US on any device.
- Get a VPN with strong security and privacy features. All the VPNs on this list also protect your data with industry-standard VPN security features like bank-grade encryption, a strict no-logs policy (ensures the VPN doesn’t log your IP address and traffic), full leak protection, and a kill switch (disables internet access if the VPN connection drops to prevent traffic leaks).
- Choose a VPN that offers a good value. I only recommend VPNs that also come with extra features like split-tunneling (lets you choose which apps use the VPN and which apps use your local network), allow multiple simultaneous connections (ExpressVPN allows 5 connections, whereas Surfshark allows unlimited connections), have affordable plans, and back all purchases with money-back guarantees.
How to Watch Netflix US Content on Any Device
How to Watch Netflix US Content on Your PC or Mac Device
- Pick a good Netflix VPN. Get a VPN that consistently works with Netflix US, maintains fast speeds, and has easy-to-use apps for Windows and Macs — I recommend ExpressVPN.
- Download and install the VPN app. Just follow the installation wizard’s instructions — the whole process only takes 1–2 minutes.
- Connect to a US server and log into your Netflix account. You can now watch any TV show or movie in the US content library.
How to Watch Netflix US Content on Your Smartphone or Tablet
- Choose a good VPN that works with Netflix US. My top pick is ExpressVPN for its excellent security, blazing-fast speeds, and extremely user-friendly Android and iOS apps.
- Download and install the VPN app. After the installation finishes, follow the on-screen instructions to finish the setup.
- Connect to a US server and open your Netflix app. That’s it — you can now watch Netflix US content from anywhere in the world.
How to Watch Netflix US Content on Your Smart TV
- Get a good VPN for Netflix US. I recommend ExpressVPN as it has excellent streaming support, maintains lightning-fast speeds, and is very easy to use on a Smart TV.
- On Android TVs: Download and install the VPN app from the app store (ExpressVPN has a user-friendly Android TV app), open it, and connect to a US server.
- On non-Android TVs: Set up the VPN on your router (ExpressVPN has an intuitive router app and helpful setup guides for routers), and configure the VPN to use a US server. After you connect your router to the VPN, every device in your home (including your smart TVs, computers, smartphones, etc.) will be connected to the VPN.
- Log into Netflix on your smart TV. That’s it — you can now watch Netflix US content from anywhere in the world.
How to Watch Netflix US Content on Your Gaming Console
- Get a good Netflix VPN that works on routers. ExpressVPN is my top pick — it’s excellent for streaming and has easy-to-install instructions for a router.
- Set up the VPN on your router. This allows your gaming consoles to use VPN connections. ExpressVPN comes with a router app, and it takes about 5 simple steps to install it on your router.
- Connect to a US VPN server and log into your Netflix account on Xbox or PlayStation. You’re now able to watch Netflix US.
How to Watch Netflix US Content on Amazon Fire Stick
- Pick a good VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN because it has the best Fire Stick app, maintains fast speeds across all servers, and is very easy to use.
- Download and install the VPN app on your Fire Stick or Fire TV device. The whole process shouldn’t take more than 1–2 minutes.
- Open the VPN app and connect to a US server. Congrats — you can watch Netflix US on your Fire Stick or Fire TV device.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best VPN to access Netflix US?
ExpressVPN is my favorite VPN for watching Netflix US — it consistently works with the US library, has some of the fastest streaming speeds on the market, is easy to use, and also works with 100+ other streaming sites like Hulu and Amazon Prime.
Can I access Netflix US with a free VPN?
Most free VPNs don’t work with Netflix, but there are a few good free VPNs that actually work with Netflix US. That said, free VPNs usually limit how much data you can use each month — for example, free VPNs like Windscribe and hide.me limit you to 10 GB, which is only enough for around 3 hours of HD streaming.
Instead, I recommend getting a premium Netflix VPN like ExpressVPN — it works with Netflix US, has very fast speeds, comes with unlimited data, and has a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Why does Netflix US have different content?
Netflix licenses the content it doesn’t own from third parties. Most of the time, Netflix can only get licensing rights for a movie or TV show from one country (like the US) — in that case, Netflix only makes the movie or TV show available in that country and doesn’t include it in content libraries in other countries. Otherwise, it would breach the licensing agreements it signed with the third party.
That said, Netflix does own some of the titles on its site and most of these titles are available in other international content libraries.
So basically, the availability of Netflix titles varies from country to country. But a good Netflix VPN like ExpressVPN will let you access the content library in the country where you have an account if you travel abroad. To watch Netflix US from anywhere in 2023, just follow these 3 quick and easy steps.
Do all VPNs Work with Netflix US?
No, a lot of VPNs don’t work with Netflix. If Netflix detects that you’re using a VPN, you might see a proxy error message, a random error message, or just end up on the Netflix library in the country where you’re actually located instead of the US library.
However, a good Netflix VPN like ExpressVPN is consistently able to access Netflix US.
Why isn’t my VPN working with Netflix US?
You might sometimes experience issues even with a really good Netflix VPN like ExpressVPN. If that happens, here’s what to do:
- Reconnect to the server or connect to a different US server to get a new IP address.
- Access Netflix US via a different browser in incognito/private mode — cookies can actually reveal your location to Netflix even if you’re using a VPN.
- On mobile, access Netflix US via the browser app instead of the Netflix app — Netflix’s app can use GPS data to determine your real location, and most VPNs can’t hide GPS data.
- Make sure leak protection is enabled — IPv6 and DNS leaks allow Netflix to see your real location.
- Some VPNs have specific US servers that work with Netflix — ask the VPN’s support reps which ones to use.
- Review your VPN’s troubleshooting guides or contact your VPN’s customer support via email or 24/7 live chat — the customer support representatives may be able to provide you with a solution.