Published on: December 20, 2021
Short on time? Here’s how to watch Netflix US in 2022:
🥇 ExpressVPN: Consistently works with Netflix US, has blazing-fast streaming speeds, is very user-friendly, and also works with other Netflix libraries and 65+ streaming services. Provides excellent security, flexible plans, and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. Get the best VPN for streaming Netflix US here.
The best way to watch Netflix US anywhere in the world is to use a VPN.
A VPN is an online service that replaces your IP address with an IP address from a different location, like the US. When you connect to a VPN US server, you’ll get a US IP address. When you log into your Netflix account, the site will think you’re in the US, allowing you to watch Netflix US when you’re either inside the US or if you travel abroad.
Netflix uses geo-blocks to stop users outside the US from accessing the US library. It does that to comply with the copyright agreements it signed for the shows and movies it licenses from third parties. While there are a handful of VPNs that are able to access the Netflix US library, not all of them are great options for streaming Netflix.
I tested the best VPNs on the market in 2022 and found the top 3 VPNs that provide the best Netflix US streaming experience.
Only 3 Steps (Quick + Easy) to Watch Netflix US in 2022:
- Step 1: Download and install a VPN that works with Netflix US. I recommend ExpressVPN for its fast speeds, ease of use, and also because it works with other popular US streaming sites like Amazon Prime, Disney+, Hulu, and HBO Max.
- Step 2: Connect to a US server. Open the app and scroll through the list of server locations and pick a US server.
- Step 3: Log into your Netflix account. Access Netflix, look up your favorite US shows and movies, and start binging them!
The 3 Best VPNs for Accessing Netflix US Shows
🥇1. ExpressVPN — Best VPN for Streaming Netflix US Titles
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for Netflix US — in my tests, I was always able to access Netflix US to watch popular TV shows. ExpressVPN also provided me with blazing-fast streaming speeds, so HD videos loaded instantly and didn’t buffer, and 4K videos loaded in 1–2 seconds.
In addition to Netflix, ExpressVPN also works with all other popular streaming sites, including top US sites like Hulu, Disney+, and HBO Max.
And ExpressVPN is extremely simple to use — it only took me 2–3 minutes to install its Windows and Android apps. The interface is very intuitive and easy to navigate, and it’s really simple to find a US server and connect to it. And you can even create 1-click shortcuts for apps and sites (like Netflix) that show up on your screen after you connect to ExpressVPN.
I also like that ExpressVPN has split-tunneling on its Windows, Android, macOS, and router apps — on my Windows 10 PC, I was able to get faster streaming speeds by only routing Netflix US traffic through ExpressVPN and sending browsing traffic through my internet service provider’s (ISP) network.
ExpressVPN has a no-logs policy that’s been independently audited and verified and full leak protection (I ran 10+ leak tests and never saw any leaks). It also has advanced security features like perfect forward secrecy (changes your encryption key for each connection to prevent hackers from compromising past or future keys to monitor your traffic) and RAM-only servers (they don’t store any data on the hard drive and every server reset wipes all of the data).
ExpressVPN supports 5 simultaneous connections and starts at $6.67 / month — it’s a bit pricier than other VPNs, but I think the extra cost is worth it because ExpressVPN provides the best overall value (it ranks #1 on our list of the best VPNs in 2022). ExpressVPN backs all plans with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
🥈2. CyberGhost VPN — Good Speeds + Dedicated Netflix US Streaming Servers
CyberGhost VPN consistently works with Netflix US using dedicated streaming servers that are strictly optimized for Netflix in the US. These servers refresh their IP addresses very often, so it’s very hard for Netflix to know if you’re using a VPN. That said, ExpressVPN provides better streaming options because it works with Netflix US on all US servers.
I like how CyberGhost VPN’s dedicated streaming servers are able to access 50+ streaming services from 10+ countries, including top US sites like Comedy Central, HBO Max, Hulu, and ESPN+.
In my tests, CyberGhost VPN’s streaming speeds were slightly slower than ExpressVPN, but they were still good — HD videos loaded in 3–4 seconds, I only experienced minor buffering at the start of the video, and 4K videos loaded in 4–5 seconds.
I really like how beginner-friendly CyberGhost VPN is — there are different server categories so it’s extremely simple to manually find the Netflix US servers. Also, all settings have easy-to-understand explanations. And the Smart Rules feature lets you customize CyberGhost VPN’s launch settings — for example, I configured the app to automatically connect to the Netflix US server when I open the CyberGhost app.
CyberGhost VPN provides top-notch security and privacy — there’s full leak protection, a regular transparency report that details all user data requests CyberGhost receives and proves that it didn’t comply with any of them, and advanced security features like RAM-only servers. But CyberGhost VPN’s split-tunneling tool is only available on the Android app (unlike ExpressVPN, which supports split-tunneling on multiple platforms).
CyberGhost VPN allows 7 simultaneous connections and has several reasonable paid plans, which start at $3.00 / month. I also like how CyberGhost VPN backs its long-term plans with a very generous 45-day money-back guarantee (most VPNs have 30-day money-back guarantees). And CyberGhost backs its shortest plan with a 14-day refund.
🥉3. VyprVPN — Best VPN for Watching Netflix US on Multiple Devices
VyprVPN works with Netflix US without any issues and allows 30 simultaneous connections, so it’s perfect for big families. I asked everyone in my house to test VyprVPN with Netflix US, and it worked really well — we always experienced fast and stable connections.
VyprVPN provided me with good speeds, which are on par with CyberGhost VPN, but slower than ExpressVPN — HD videos took 3–5 seconds to load and there was minor buffering when I skipped through them, while 4K videos loaded in 4–6 seconds and there was some buffering at the start of the videos.
I like how beginner-friendly VyprVPN’s apps are — the interface is intuitive and simple to navigate, its features and settings have helpful explanations, and there’s a search field so it’s easy to find a US server. And I like how the apps display the server ping (how long it takes for an internet signal to travel from your device to the VPN server) because it helps you locate the fastest US servers to get the best Netflix streaming experiences.
VyprVPN comes with a no-logs policy that has been independently audited and DNS leak protection (it doesn’t have IPv6 and WebRTC leak protection like ExpressVPN and CyberGhost VPN). It also has advanced security features like perfect forward secrecy.
VyprVPN prices start at $8.33 / month - $15.00 / month — this is expensive, but I still think VyprVPN offers a good value for large households. VyprVPN backs all purchases with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
How to Find the Best VPN for Streaming Netflix US Content
- Consistently works with Netflix US. The VPN has to work with Netflix US 24/7. I tested all the VPNs on this list at random intervals every day over the past weeks, and they all were able to access Netflix US 100% of the time.
- Excellent streaming support. Good VPNs also work with other regional streaming sites — for example, ExpressVPN, my top pick, claims to work with 65+ streaming services.
- Fast streaming speeds. VPNs slow your speeds because they encrypt your traffic, but top brands minimize the slowdown and maintain fast speeds across all servers. All the VPNs on this list provided me with fast and uninterrupted streaming, but I had the fastest speeds with ExpressVPN.
- Ease of use. I only recommend VPNs that have apps for all major platforms that are easy to install, come with user-friendly interfaces, and make it simple to connect to US servers to access Netflix US on any device.
- Strong security and privacy. All the VPNs on this list also protect your data with industry-standard VPN security features like bank-grade encryption, a strict no-logs policy (ensures the VPN doesn’t log your IP address and traffic), full leak protection, and a kill switch (disables internet access if the VPN connection drops to prevent traffic leaks).
- Good value. I only recommend VPNs that also come with extra features like split-tunneling (lets you choose which apps use the VPN and which apps use your local network), allow multiple simultaneous connections (ExpressVPN allows 5 connections, whereas VyprVPN allows 30 connections), have affordable plans, and back all purchases with money-back guarantees.
FAQs — How to Watch Netflix US from Anywhere in 2022
What is the best VPN to access Netflix US?
ExpressVPN is my favorite VPN for watching Netflix US — it consistently works with the US library, has some of the fastest streaming speeds on the market, is easy to use, and also works with 65+ other streaming sites like Hulu and Amazon Prime.
Can I unblock Netflix US with a free VPN?
Most free VPNs don’t work with Netflix, but there are a few good free VPNs that actually work with Netflix US. That said, free VPNs usually limit how much data you can use each month — for example, free VPNs like Windscribe and hide.me limit you to 10 GB, which is only enough for around 3 hours of HD streaming.
Why does Netflix US have different content?
Netflix owns some of the titles on its site and most of these titles are available in other international content libraries, but Netflix licenses the content it doesn’t own from third parties. Most of the time, Netflix can only get licensing rights for a movie or TV show from one country (like the US) — in that case, Netflix only makes the movie or TV show available in that country and doesn’t include it in content libraries in other countries. Otherwise, it would breach the licensing agreements it signed with the third party.
So basically, the availability of Netflix titles varies from country to country. But a good Netflix VPN like ExpressVPN will let you access the content library in the country where you have an account if you travel abroad. To watch Netflix US from anywhere in 2022, just follow these 3 quick and easy steps.
Do all VPNs Work with Netflix US?
No, a lot of VPNs don’t work with Netflix. If Netflix detects that you’re using a VPN, you might see a proxy error message, a random error message, or just end up on the Netflix library in the country where you’re actually located instead of the US library.
Why isn’t my VPN working with Netflix US?
- Reconnect to the server or connect to a different US server to get a new IP address.
- Access Netflix US via a different browser in incognito/private mode — cookies can actually reveal your location to Netflix even if you’re using a VPN.
- On mobile, access Netflix US via the browser app instead of the Netflix app — Netflix’s app can use GPS data to determine your real location, and most VPNs can’t hide GPS data.
- Make sure leak protection is enabled — IPv6 and DNS leaks allow Netflix to see your real location.
- Some VPNs have specific US servers that work with Netflix — ask the VPN’s support reps which ones to use.
- Review your VPN’s troubleshooting guides or contact your VPN’s customer support via email or 24/7 live chat — the customer support representatives may be able to provide you with a solution.