Short on time? Here’s the best VPN for watching Netflix Japan from anywhere in 2023:
- 🥇 ExpressVPN: Works with Netflix Japan 100% of the time, has blazing-fast speeds, offers native apps for all major devices, and also works with 65+ other streaming sites. Provides excellent security features, allows 5 connections, and backs all plans with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
It’s difficult to keep up with your favorite Netflix Japan series and movies when traveling abroad. This is because Netflix offers different titles in different regions due to licensing agreements — so your favorite TV series on Netflix Japan may not be available outside of Japan.
Fortunately, I have an easy, quick, and cheap remedy for this situation. The best way to watch Netflix Japan from anywhere in the world is with a virtual private network (VPN).
A VPN is software that allows you to connect to servers that are located all over the globe. When you connect to a VPN server, it replaces your current IP address with an IP address that corresponds with that new location (for example, Japan). This way, it will appear as if you’re browsing the web (and streaming) as if you were actually in that location.
By connecting to a VPN server in Japan, you will be able to access all of your favorite Netflix Japan titles no matter where you are in the world.
I tested the top VPNs on the market and found the best VPNs for watching Netflix Japan from every corner of the globe.
Only 3 Steps (Quick + Easy) to Watch Netflix Japan From Anywhere In 2023:
- Step 1: Download and install a VPN that works with Netflix. I recommend ExpressVPN because it’s fast, easy to use, secure, and works with 65+ streaming sites, including Netflix Japan.
- Step 2: Connect to a VPN server in Japan. Open the app and select a server located in Japan.
- Step 3: Log into Netflix. Access your Netflix account, search for your favorite shows, grab your go-to snack, and start streaming.
The 5 Best VPNs for Watching Netflix Japan Content in 2023
Quick summary of the best VPNs for Netflix Japan:
- 1.🥇 ExpressVPN — Best overall VPN for watching Netflix Japan from anywhere.
- 2.🥈 Private Internet Access — Fast and great for streaming Netflix Japan on mobile devices.
- 3.🥉 Proton VPN — Includes dedicated streaming servers optimized for fast streaming speeds.
- 4. NordVPN — Reliable with great security & fast speeds on all servers.
- 5. Surfshark — Good for large families (with cheap plans).
🥇1. ExpressVPN — Best VPN for Watching Netflix Japan Content
ExpressVPN is my top choice for streaming content on Netflix Japan — it works with Netflix Japan 24/7, offers blazing-fast speeds, and has excellent security (and it’s also ranked as our #1 VPN in 2023).
I really like how fast ExpressVPN is. My HD content instantly loaded and played smoothly without any buffering. ExpressVPN also includes a convenient and accurate speed test tool to help you ensure you’re always connecting to the fastest available VPN server — I didn’t have to use a third-party site to manually test different servers. Plus, I like how ExpressVPN has 2 server locations in Tokyo, plus servers in Yokohama — this allows users to connect to a city that is closest to them to get the fastest speeds.
I’m really impressed with ExpressVPN’s streaming support — in addition to Netflix, it also works with 65+ streaming sites like Amazon Prime, Hulu, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, and much more.
And I’m a big fan of ExpressVPN’s sleek interface and user-friendly apps. I never had an issue finding a Japanese server, and there’s even a convenient shortcut feature that allows you to create a 1-click step on the main connection window for your favorite apps (including Netflix). What’s more, ExpressVPN has native apps for all major devices as well as smart TVs and Kindle fire. Plus, you can also install ExpressVPN on your router, which connects all of the devices in your home, including ones that don’t support VPNs like gaming consoles. Even better, ExpressVPN has its own router (called Aircove), which is reasonably priced and includes buil-in VPN protections.
I love how ExpressVPN offers split-tunneling (allows you to choose which apps are routed through the VPN and which ones are routed through your local network) on Android, Windows, Mac, and routers (most VPNs don’t offer split-tunneling for Macs and routers). In my tests, I routed Netflix through the VPN server but excluded my browser app, which helped increase my streaming speeds.
When it comes to security, ExpressVPN is one of the best in the industry. For example, it has a strict no-logs policy that has been independently audited multiple times, provides full leak protection, and comes with high-end security features like RAM-only servers (that delete all stored data at every reboot), and perfect forward secrecy (frequently changes your encryption key to prevent past and future keys from getting compromised).
ExpressVPN allows 5 simultaneous connections and offers plans that start at $6.67 / month. That’s a bit more expensive than other top VPNs, but it offers the best value. All ExpressVPN plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
🥈2. Private Internet Access — Great for Watching Netflix Japan on Mobile Devices
Private Internet Access (PIA) has fast, sleek, and intuitive mobile apps that are perfect for watching Netflix Japan. It has super easy-to-install native apps for Android and iOS — I added PIA on my Galaxy smartphone, iPhone, and my daughter’s iPad in less than 3 minutes! Plus, PIA has apps for Windows, macOS, Linux, smart TVs, and routers.
I manually connected to a Japanese server with 1 click — the server list is well-organized, simple to navigate, and includes a search bar.
One of the best things about PIA is how it allows you to customize more than 20 different preferences in your Settings menu for a better user experience. For example, I switched my protocol from OpenVPN to WireGuard (which is faster), and I also made sure to automatically connect to PIA if the VPN detected I was using an unsecure Wi-Fi network.
PIA is not as fast as ExpressVPN, but I never had any major issues watching Netflix Japan content. While it took 2-3 seconds for TV shows to load, I never experienced any interruptions or other delays. Plus, I’m a fan of how PIA displays the latency (the time it takes the internet signal to travel from your device to the server) in an easy-to-read color-coded system — this helps you choose the fastest Japanese server.
And PIA is very secure — you get RAM-only servers, perfect forward secrecy, and all of its apps are open-source, meaning the code is public and you can read through it to ensure there are no security flaws. PIA’s no-logs policy has been independently audited, it’s been proven true in court documents, and PIA releases transparency reports that confirm that it doesn’t store or share any user data.
Private Internet Access allows 10 simultaneous connections (making it a great option for large households to watch their favorite Netflix Japan shows at the same time), and it offers very cheap plans, which start at just $2.19 / month. All of PIA’s plans include a 30-day money-back guarantee.
🥉3. Proton VPN — Dedicated Streaming Servers for Netflix
Proton VPN offers dedicated servers for streaming Netflix Japan — these servers are called Plus servers, which are optimized to access streaming sites and provide the fastest streaming speeds. Proton VPN offers 18+ Plus servers in Japan (located in Tokyo and Osaka), and in my tests, I was able to access Netflix Japan while connected to each of these servers.
In my speed tests, Proton VPN was about as fast as Private Internet Access, but not nearly as fast as ExpressVPN. But I really like that Proton VPN has a unique Accelerator feature that improves server latency, especially on distant servers — great for users who travel far from Japan and want to watch Netflix Japan. Plus, Proton VPN shows the server load percentage (the number of active users connected to a server) for each server, making it easy to find the fastest available server (the servers with the lowest load provided me with the best speeds all the time).
Proton VPN allows up to 10 simultaneous connections and has intuitive apps for Android, iOS, Windows, macOS, and Linux. It has a pretty cool world map that you can use to manually connect to your preferred VPN server.
Proton VPN offers a really good free plan and monthly and yearly premium subscription plans. However, the Free plan doesn’t allow access to the Plus servers, so users must upgrade to one of Proton VPN’s premium plans (starting at $3.99 / month) to get streaming support. All of Proton VPN’s paid plans include a prorated 30-day money-back guarantee.
4. NordVPN — Reliable With Great Security Features & Fast Speeds
NordVPN provides access to multiple security features that keep your data safe online — like Threat Protection, which is one of the best VPN ad blockers on the market and which also gets rid of malicious ads, blocks connections to shady sites, and protects your device from malware-infected downloads. Even better, Threat Protection remains active even if you’re not connected to a VPN server, which is really convenient.
In addition, there’s Dark Web Monitor, which scans the dark web and alerts you if the login associated with your NordVPN account has been leaked. I’m happy to see this, as this is one of the only VPNs on the market that comes with a dark web monitoring feature.
On top of that, NordVPN also comes with other great security features — it has double VPN servers, which add an extra layer of encryption, and it also comes with obfuscation. Plus, the VPN has its own protocol called NordLynx, which is designed to provide strong security and really fast speeds.
NordVPN also has advanced security features, including full leak protection, RAM-only servers, and perfect forward secrecy. Its strict no-logs policy has been independently audited, and it’s also been proven true when one of the data centers that housed one of its servers suffered a data breach and no user data was compromised.
The provider is also great for streaming and torrenting — it works with multiple popular streaming services like Netflix and BBC iPlayer, and has a whopping 4,500+ P2P servers. It also provides really good speeds for streaming, torrenting, and other online activities on all of its servers.
I also think NordVPN is a good gaming VPN thanks to its Meshnet feature, which lets you link up to 60 devices over encrypted VPN connections — this helps you host virtual LAN parties securely.
What’s more, this VPN has tons of other perks — it has 5,000+ servers in 55+ countries, comes with split-tunneling, and has really intuitive apps for all major platforms.
NordVPN has budget-friendly plans that start at $2.99 / month. All purchases are backed by a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
5. Surfshark — Great VPN for Large Families & Very Affordable
Surfshark allows unlimited connections, which means you can use it on as many devices as you want — so it’s a great option if everyone in your family needs a good VPN. I’m also happy to see this because very few VPNs support unlimited connections.
It comes with really good security features, including CleanWeb, which is one of the best VPN ad blockers out there. In addition, it provides obfuscation, double VPN connections for added security, and IP Rotator, which regularly changes your IP address to make it harder for someone to track your location. The provider also has advanced security features like RAM-only servers and perfect forward secrecy — however, it’s missing full leak protection (but I never experienced any leaks in my tests).
You also get pretty good streaming support, as the VPN can access top sites like Netflix, HBO Max, and BBC iPlayer — though it can’t access Disney+. It also supports P2P downloads across all of its servers.
There are 3,200+ servers in 90+ countries, which makes it simple to use nearby servers for fast speeds. Speaking of speeds, the provider has fast connections on most servers, but I did experience significant slowdowns on very distant servers.
Surfshark is also one of the most affordable VPNs on the market, with plans starting at only $2.30 / month — so it’s also a good pick if you’re on a tight budget. All plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
How to Choose the Best VPN for Streaming Netflix Japan Content in 2023
- Consistently accesses Netflix Japan. In order to watch Netflix Japan content, the VPN needs to have at least 1 server in Japan and be able to access Netflix 24/7. My top choice is ExpressVPN because it’s fast, secure, and easy to use.
- Excellent streaming support. The VPN should also support other top streaming sites. Each VPN on this list is able to access top streaming sites like Amazon Prime, Hulu, Disney+, and more.
- Fast streaming speeds. All VPNs slow down your speeds because of the time required to encrypt your data, but good VPNs are able to maintain fast speeds. All the VPNs on this list provided me with fast streaming speeds (ExpressVPN is the fastest).
- Easy to use. All of the VPNs on this list have easy to install apps for tons of different devices, and they come with intuitive interfaces that make it simple to connect to a Japanese server so you can access Netflix Japan.
- Strong security. All of the VPNs listed here protect user data with industry-standard VPN security features like 256-bit AES encryption (the same encryption used by banks and governments), a no-logs policy (prevents the VPN from recording the websites you visit or the files you download), leak protection, and a kill switch (disconnects you from the internet if your connection to the VPN server drops).
- Good value. I only recommend VPNs that include extra features like split-tunneling, allow multiple simultaneous connections (ExpressVPN allows 5 connections, while Private Internet Access and Proton VPN each allow up to 10 connections), offer affordable plans, and come with a money-back guarantee.
How to Watch Netflix Japan Content on Any Device
How to Watch Netflix Japan Content on Your PC or Mac Device
- Choose a good VPN that works with Netflix Japan. I recommend ExpressVPN as it consistently works with Netflix Japan, has fast speeds, and provides easy-to-use apps for Windows, macOS, and Linux.
- Download and install the VPN. This process should only take 1-2 minutes. Just follow the installation wizard’s instructions.
- Open the VPN app, connect to a server in Japan, and log into your Netflix account. You can now watch Netflix Japan content from anywhere in the world.
How to Watch Netflix Japan Content on Your Smartphone or Tablet
- Choose a good VPN that works with Netflix Japan. My top pick is ExpressVPN for its easy-to-use Android and iOS apps.
- Download and install the VPN app. Find the app in your device’s app store and download it. Follow any given instructions to finish the setup.
- Launch the VPN app, connect to a server in Japan, and open Netflix. Now you’re ready to binge your favorite Netflix Japan content.
How to Watch Netflix Japan Content on Your Smart TV
- Download a VPN that’s compatible with your router and smart TVs. I think ExpressVPN has the best smart TV and router apps in the industry.
- For Android TVs. Download a VPN app from the device’s app store. ExpressVPN has an easy-to-install app for Android TVs. After you’ve installed the app, scroll through the server menu and connect to your desired location.
- For non-Android TVs. Download and install the VPN on your router (ExpressVPN has a router app and provides excellent step-by-step instructions on how to complete the process). Once your router is configured to the VPN, all of the devices in your home that are connected to the router will also be connected to the VPN.
- Open Netflix. That’s it. You can now start watching Netflix Japan on your smart TV.
How to Watch Netflix Japan Content on Your Gaming Console
- Download a VPN that can access Netflix Japan and is compatible with your router. Install a VPN to your router so any devices connected to your network will be connected to the VPN, including your Xbox or Playstation. My top pick is ExpressVPN because it has fast speeds and has an easy-to-install app for routers.
- Connect to a VPN server in Japan and open Netflix. You’re all set to catch your favorite movies.
How to Watch Netflix Japan Content using Amazon Fire Stick
- Download a VPN that works with Netflix. ExpressVPN has an easy-to-use app for the Amazon Fire Stick.
- Connect to a VPN server in Japan. Open the VPN app on your Amazon Fire Stick and select a VPN server in Japan to connect to.
- Launch Netflix. Once connected to a VPN server in Japan, you’re free to watch Netflix Japan content from anywhere.
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the best VPN for watching Netflix Japan?
ExpressVPN is my top choice for streaming content on Netflix Japan — it consistently works with Netflix Japan, has easy-to-use apps for all major devices, and provides incredibly fast speeds.
That said, all of the VPNs on this list are good choices for watching Netflix Japan. Private Internet Access is great for streaming content on mobile devices, while Proton VPN has dedicated streaming servers that offer a smooth streaming experience.
Do free VPNs work with Netflix Japan?
Some might, but most free VPNs won’t work with Netflix Japan. For example, Proton VPN has a really good free plan that even includes access to a server in Japan, but the free plan doesn’t support streaming.
Even if a free VPN does work with Netflix Japan, I still don’t recommend it — most free VPNs limit the amount of data you’re allowed to use each day or month, are slow, and lack basic security features.
Is watching Netflix Japan with a VPN legal?
Yes, it’s legal to watch Netflix Japan using a VPN. However, you may violate Netflix’s terms of service if you use a VPN to access content libraries outside of your home country — and Netflix will prevent you from streaming anything if it detects that you are using a VPN. This is because Netflix has different content for different countries due to license agreements, so it doesn’t want its users streaming content from different countries.
Why does Netflix Japan have different content?
Netflix original content is usually available around the world, but if Netflix doesn’t own the content, it’s bound by licensing agreements. These agreements typically only allow Netflix to stream certain content to specified regions, like Japan.
When you travel outside your home country, the content available to you may change. A good VPN (like any of the VPNs on this list) will have servers in many different countries to allow users in most parts of the world to access their home Netflix content library even when traveling abroad.