Only 3 Steps (Quick + Easy) to Watch Netflix Japan From Anywhere in 2023:
- Step 1: Download and install a good VPN for Netflix with servers in Japan. I recommend ExpressVPN because it’s fast, easy to use, secure, and works with 100+ streaming sites, including Netflix Japan.
- Step 2: Connect to a VPN server in Japan. Open the app and select a server located in Japan.
- Step 3: Log into Netflix. Access your Netflix account, search for your favorite shows, grab your go-to snack, and start streaming.
It’s difficult to keep up with your favorite Japanese Netflix titles when traveling abroad. This is because Netflix offers different titles in different regions due to licensing agreements — so your favorite TV series on Netflix Japan may not be available outside of Japan.
Fortunately, I have a quick, easy, and affordable solution — using a VPN, which is a tool that allows you to connect to servers in other parts of the world. When you connect to a VPN server, it replaces your current IP address with an IP address from the country the server is in (for example, Japan). This way, all websites you access, including Netflix, will think you’re connecting to them from Japan.
Unfortunately, not all VPNs work with Netflix. And out of those that do, many have very slow speeds and buggy apps.
But all of the VPNs on this list work 100% with Netflix Japan without issues — on top of that, they also provide very fast streaming speeds and have really intuitive apps for all devices.
Best VPNs for Watching Netflix Japan Content in 2023
- 1.🥇 ExpressVPN — Best overall VPN for watching Netflix Japan from anywhere.
- 2.🥈 Private Internet Access — Fast and great for streaming Netflix Japan on mobile devices.
- 3.🥉 NordVPN — Great VPN for people who want to use a smart DNS.
- 4. Surfshark — Simple design good for new users.
- Comparison of the Best VPNs for Watching Netflix Japan in 2023.
🥇1. ExpressVPN — Best VPN for Watching Netflix Japan Content
ExpressVPN is my top choice for streaming content on Netflix Japan — it works with Netflix Japan 24/7, can also access 10+ other Netflix libraries, offers blazing-fast speeds, and has excellent security (and it’s also ranked as our #1 VPN in 2023).
ExpressVPN also provided me with the fastest speeds on this list. In my tests, HD and 4K videos loaded instantly and played without any buffering. Plus, the provider also comes with split-tunneling, which lets you choose which apps use the VPN and which apps use your local network — by routing only Netflix traffic through the VPN, I further increased my speeds by about 15%.
I’m really impressed with ExpressVPN’s streaming support — in addition to Netflix, it also works with 100+ other streaming sites, like Amazon Prime, Hulu, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, and many more. In addition, it also has a smart DNS, which lets you access Netflix Japan on devices that don’t support VPN apps.
I like how the provider has apps for all major operating systems, including iOS, Android, Windows, macOS, Linux, and smart TVs. It even has a router app — so, you can quickly install the VPN on your router to access Netflix Japan on devices that don’t support VPN apps.
And I’m a big fan of ExpressVPN’s sleek interface and user-friendly apps. I never had an issue finding a Japanese server, and there’s even a convenient Shortcuts feature that allows you to create 1-click shortcuts on the main connection window for your favorite apps and sites (including Netflix).
When it comes to security, ExpressVPN is one of the best in the industry. For example, it has a strict no-logs policy that has been independently audited multiple times, and comes with high-end security features like full leak protection, RAM-only servers (every reboot deletes all stored data), and perfect forward secrecy, which makes your encryption key frequently change to prevent past and future keys from getting compromised.
ExpressVPN has plans that start at $6.67 / month. That’s a bit more expensive than other top VPNs, but it offers the best value. All ExpressVPN plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review
🥈2. Private Internet Access — Great for Watching Netflix Japan on Mobile Devices
Private Internet Access (PIA) has fast, sleek, and intuitive mobile apps that are perfect for watching Netflix Japan. It has super easy-to-install native apps for Android and iOS — I added PIA on my Galaxy smartphone, iPhone, and my daughter’s iPad in less than 3 minutes! Also, I manually connected to a Japanese server in just 4 seconds since the server list is well-organized, simple to navigate, and includes a search bar.
Plus, this VPN allows you to access Netflix Japan on tons of platforms, as it has apps for Windows, macOS, Linux, and smart TVs. It also supports manual router setups, but that’s less convenient than ExpressVPN’s router app.
You also get great streaming support, as this provider also works with 5+ other Netflix libraries and 30+ top streaming services, including BBC iPlayer and Disney+. Plus, it also comes with a smart DNS.
PIA provided me with really fast speeds, as HD videos loaded instantly, 4K videos took just 2 seconds to load, and I never experienced any interruptions or other delays. Plus, I’m a fan of how PIA displays the latency (the time it takes the internet signal to travel from your device to the server) in an easy-to-read color-coded system — this helps you choose the fastest Japanese server. That said, PIA failed to match ExpressVPN’s speeds.
And PIA is very secure — you get RAM-only servers, perfect forward secrecy, and all of its apps are open-source, meaning the code is public and you can read through it to ensure there are no security flaws. PIA’s no-logs policy has been independently audited (and has also been verified by court documents). The VPN also releases transparency reports that confirm that it doesn’t store or share any user data.
Private Internet Access has plans that start at $2.19 / month. All of PIA’s plans include a 30-day money-back guarantee.
TRY PRIVATE INTERNET ACCESS NOW
Read our full Private Internet Access review
🥉3. NordVPN — Great VPN for Using Smart DNS
NordVPN works with Netflix Japan, and can also access 10+ other libraries, including Netflix US and Netflix UK.
In addition to a smart DNS, NordVPN also has SmartPlay across all of its servers. This feature mixes VPN and smart DNS technology, which makes it harder for Netflix to detect and block your VPN connection — also, it secures your data with VPN encryption (on their own, smart DNS tools don’t provide encryption).
Plus, NordVPN has really good streaming speeds — HD videos only took about 2 seconds to load, and 4K videos loaded in 3–4 seconds and there was only minor buffering at the start. While I was happy with the speeds, NordVPN still provided me with slightly slower speeds than ExpressVPN and Private Internet Access.
I also really like how NordVPN works with 10+ other popular streaming sites, such as Hulu, Amazon Prime, BBC iPlayer, and Disney+. It also works with other less popular sites like VRV, Pluto TV, and Tubi TV. Even so, I think you get a better variety with other competitors — for example, ExpressVPN works with 100+ streaming platforms, and Private Internet Access is compatible with 30+ streaming services.
You also get strong security and privacy features. It comes with a strict no-logs policy that has been independently audited and verified several times. It also has full leak protection, perfect forward secrecy, and RAM-only servers. Plus, I like its Threat Protection feature that can block connections to shady sites — so it can protect you from phishing sites that imitate Netflix.
NordVPN’s plans start at only $4.99 / month. All purchases include a 30-day money-back guarantee.
4. Surfshark — Good VPN for Beginners
Surfshark works with Netflix Japan 24/7 and has easy-to-use apps, making it a good VPN for new users. It’s simple to install on any device and has a really intuitive interface so beginners can quickly find and connect to the Japanese server.
Plus, this VPN also has good streaming support. It works with 15+ Netflix libraries, can access 50+ other streaming platforms (but not Disney+), and also has a smart DNS.
In my speed tests, Surfshark performed pretty well — HD videos loaded in 3–4 seconds, while 4K videos took about 5–6 seconds to load and there was minor buffering when skipping through the videos. However, it wasn’t as fast as the other VPNs on this list.
With this VPN, you also get strong security and privacy while streaming on Netflix. It has an audited no-logs policy, RAM-only servers, and perfect forward secrecy. It also comes with a pretty good VPN ad blocker, called CleanWeb. And while it lacks full leak protection, it still properly protects your traffic — I ran 5+ leak tests on its servers and my real data never leaked.
Surfshark is very affordable, with plans starting at $2.30 / month. Plus, every plan is backed with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review
Comparison of the Best VPNs for Watching Netflix Japan in 2023
|VPN||Starting Price||Netflix Libraries||Smart DNS||Number of devices||Free Plan||Money-back guarantee|
|🥇1. ExpressVPN||$6.67 / month||10+ (including Netflix Japan)||✅||5||❌||30 days|
|🥈2. Private Internet Access||$2.19 / month||5+ (including Netflix Japan)||✅||Unlimited||❌||30 days|
|🥉3. NordVPN||$4.99 / month||10+ (including Netflix Japan)||✅||6||❌||30 days|
|4. Surfshark||$2.30 / month||15+ (including Netflix Japan)||✅||Unlimited||❌||30 days|
How to Choose the Best VPN for Watching Netflix Japan in 2023
- Look for a good Netflix VPN that has servers in Japan. In order to watch Netflix Japan content, the VPN needs to have at least 1 server in Japan and be able to access Netflix 24/7. My top choice is ExpressVPN because it’s fast, secure, and easy to use.
- Pick a VPN with excellent streaming support. The VPN should also support other top streaming sites. Each VPN on this list is able to access popular websites like Amazon Prime, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and more.
- Look for a VPN with fast streaming speeds. All VPNs slow down your speeds because of the time required to encrypt your data, but good VPNs are able to maintain fast speeds. All the VPNs on this list provided me with fast streaming speeds (ExpressVPN was the fastest).
- Choose a VPN that’s user-friendly. All of the VPNs on this list have easy-to-install apps for tons of different devices. Their apps also come with intuitive interfaces that make it simple to connect to a Japanese server to access Netflix Japan.
- Select a VPN with strong security. All of the VPNs listed here protect user data with industry-standard VPN security features, like 256-bit AES encryption, a no-logs policy that prevents the VPN from logging your browsing traffic, protection against DNS, IPV6, or WebRTC leaks, and a kill switch that prevents traffic leaks by blocking web access if the VPN disconnects.
- Pick a VPN that provides good value. I only recommend VPNs that include extra features like split-tunneling and a smart DNS, allow multiple simultaneous connections, have affordable plans, and come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
How to Watch Netflix Japan Content on Any Device
How to Watch Netflix Japan Content on Your PC or Mac Device
- Choose a good VPN that works with Netflix Japan. I recommend ExpressVPN as it consistently works with Netflix Japan, has fast speeds, and provides user-friendly apps for Windows, macOS, and Linux.
- Download and install the VPN. This process should only take 1-2 minutes. Just follow the installation wizard’s instructions.
- Open the VPN app and connect to a server in Japan. After that, log into your Netflix account — you can now watch Netflix Japan content from anywhere in the world.
How to Watch Netflix Japan Content on Your Smartphone or Tablet
- Choose a good VPN that works with Netflix Japan. My top pick is ExpressVPN for its easy-to-use Android and iOS apps.
- Download and install the VPN app. Find the app on your device’s app store and download it. Follow any given instructions to finish the setup.
- Use the VPN app to connect to a Japanese server. Then, open Netflix and start watching your favorite Japanese titles.
How to Watch Netflix Japan Content on Your Smart TV
- Get a VPN that works with Netflix Japan 24/7. I think ExpressVPN is the best option because it has excellent apps for smart TVs and routers.
- On Android TVs. Download the VPN provider’s app from Google Play. After you install the app, scroll through the list of server locations and connect to a Japanese server.
- On non-Android TVs. Manually configure the VPN on your router — or just use ExpressVPN since it has a user-friendly router app. Set the VPN to connect to a Japanese server. After that, all of the devices in your home that are connected to the router will use the VPN.
- Open Netflix. You can now start watching Netflix Japan on your smart TV.
How to Watch Netflix Japan Content on Amazon Fire Stick
- Sign up for a VPN that works with Netflix Japan. ExpressVPN has an easy-to-use app for Amazon Fire Stick.
- Download and install the VPN app from the app store. The whole process won’t take more than 2 minutes.
- Use the VPN app to connect to a server in Japan. Once connected, launch the Netflix app and log in to start accessing Netflix Japan.
How to Watch Netflix Japan Content on Your Gaming Console
- Get a VPN that works with Netflix Japan and is compatible with routers. ExpressVPN is my #1 pick because it’s one of the only VPNs on the market that has a router app.
- Set up the VPN on your router. Next, connect to a Japanese server. Once you do that, all devices that use the router to access the web (including your gaming consoles) will use the VPN connection.
- Open Netflix on your gaming console. Log in, and you’re all set to catch up with your favorite Japanese movies and TV shows.
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the best VPN for watching Netflix Japan?
ExpressVPN is my top choice for streaming content on Netflix Japan — it consistently works with Netflix Japan, has easy-to-use apps for all major devices, and provides incredibly fast speeds.
Do free VPNs work with Netflix Japan?
Some might, but most free VPNs won’t work with Netflix Japan. Even if a free VPN can access Netflix Japan, I still don’t recommend it — most free VPNs limit the amount of data you’re allowed to use each day or month, are slow, and lack basic security features.
Instead, I recommend a low-cost VPN like ExpressVPN or Private Internet Access — both work with Netflix Japan, have fast speeds, and are incredibly secure.
Is watching Netflix Japan with a VPN legal?
Yes, it’s legal to watch Netflix Japan using a VPN. However, depending on your usage, you may violate Netflix’s terms of service if you use a VPN. Also, if Netflix detects your VPN connection, it will block it. Fortunately, all of the VPNs on my list work with Netflix Japan 100%, so you can use either of them to access your home library when traveling abroad.
Why does Netflix Japan have different content?
This is due to licensing agreements, which typically only allow Netflix to stream certain content in specific regions, like Japan. When you travel outside your home country, the content available to you may change. A good VPN (like any of the VPNs on this list) will have servers in many different countries to allow users in most parts of the world to access their home library even when traveling abroad.