Updated on: August 23, 2023
Only 3 Steps (Quick + Easy) to Watch Amazon Prime From Anywhere in 2023
- Step 1: Download and install a VPN that works with Amazon Prime. I recommend ExpressVPN because it’s fast, easy to use, and also works with other popular streaming sites like Netflix, Hulu, and Disney+.
- Step 2: Connect to a VPN server. Open the app and select a server.
- Step 3: Log into Amazon Prime. Access your Amazon Prime Video account, search for your favorite shows, and start binging.
It’s really easy to watch your favorite Amazon Prime original content like Reacher, The Expanse, and The Rings of Power while you’re traveling abroad — just use a virtual private network (VPN).
Streaming sites like Amazon Prime provide different content in different countries because of licensing agreements with third parties. So, if you travel to another country, your favorite Amazon Prime titles may not be available, but a good VPN can help you to access your country’s content library.
A VPN allows you to connect to servers all around the world. And when you connect to a VPN server, the VPN replaces your current IP address with an IP address from your new location, allowing you to appear as if you’re browsing — and streaming — from that location (including your home country).
I tested the best VPNs on the market in 2023 and was able to access Amazon Prime from anywhere in the world with my top 5 choices. My favorite is ExpressVPN because it’s superfast, secure, and very easy to use.
Best VPNs for Watching Amazon Prime Content in 2023
- 1.🥇 ExpressVPN — Best VPN for watching Amazon Prime content.
- 2.🥈 CyberGhost VPN — Dedicated streaming servers for Amazon Prime.
- 3.🥉 NordVPN — Fast VPN for streaming with great security.
- Bonus. Surfshark — Good streaming VPN for beginners.
- Comparison of the Best VPNs for Watching Amazon Prime.
🥇 1. ExpressVPN — Best VPN for Watching Amazon Prime Content
ExpressVPN is my favorite VPN for streaming content on Amazon Prime — in our tests, my colleagues and I in France, Australia, and the UK were always able to watch our favorite Amazon Prime content when connected to ExpressVPN servers in our home countries.
ExpressVPN has servers in 90+ countries, so users in many parts of the world will be able to connect to a server in their home country to watch Amazon Prime when traveling abroad.
ExpressVPN is one of the fastest VPNs on the market. In my tests, I didn’t experience any slowdowns while connected to ExpressVPN’s servers — HD movies on Amazon Prime instantly loaded and played smoothly without buffering.
I really like that ExpressVPN has strong streaming support — in addition to Amazon Prime, it also works with 100+ streaming sites like Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, and more, allowing me to access all my favorite streaming content.
It’s also very easy to use — it has native apps for Android, iOS, Windows, macOS, and Linux, and it even works on smart TVs and routers, which let you connect your gaming consoles. Each app only takes 1–2 minutes to install, and its interface is very intuitive, which makes it easy to find and connect to a server. ExpressVPN also includes a MediaStreamer feature for devices that don’t support VPNs (like Apple TVs), and there are helpful step-by-step guides on the ExpressVPN website to guide you through setting it up.
ExpressVPN has a strict no-logs policy that has been independently audited and verified. It also provides full leak protection from IP, DNS, and WebRTC data leaks. This means you can watch anything you want on Amazon Prime without someone keeping records or snooping in on your watching habits.
And you get advanced security features like RAM-only servers (no data is stored on the hard drive and all data on a server is erased each time it’s turned off/on) and perfect forward secrecy (changes your encryption key to stop hackers from accessing past or future keys).
ExpressVPN offers plans that start at $6.67 / month — it’s a bit more expensive than other top VPNs, but it offers the best value (which is why it’s our #1 VPN in 2023). All plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
🥈 2. CyberGhost VPN — Great for Watching Amazon Prime With Dedicated Streaming Servers
CyberGhost VPN provides dedicated streaming servers that are optimized to work with Amazon Prime in 6 countries (the US, the UK, France, Germany, Italy, and Japan) — these servers are built to access Amazon Prime (by frequently refreshing your IP address) and maintain faster streaming speeds. But my colleagues in countries where CyberGhost VPN doesn’t have dedicated streaming servers were still able to smoothly stream Amazon Prime on regular servers as well.
CyberGhost VPN is also good for streaming other popular sites. It has 100+ dedicated streaming servers for apps like Netflix, Hulu, and HBO Max, as well as lesser-known sites such as Globo (Brazil), 6Play (France), and Rai Play (Italy).
CyberGhost has 9,400+ servers in 90+ countries, comes with a very sleek design, and is easy to navigate. I like how it separates the server list into separate categories for torrenting, streaming, and gaming, and the app even lets you save your favorite servers.
While CyberGhost has fast speeds, they’re not quite as fast as ExpressVPN — during my tests, episodes of Jack Ryan in HD sometimes took 2-3 seconds to get started, but I didn’t experience any buffering. When I tried to watch the same episodes in 4K, there was a 3-second delay when I skipped forward.
I really like CyberGhost VPN’s Smart Rules feature (only available on Windows and Mac), which gives you control over a lot of connection preferences — for example, I set up my PC to automatically connect to a VPN server in my home country when I launch the Amazon Prime Video app.
I love how CyberGhost’s no-logs policy has been audited and confirmed, and it’s also great that it publishes a transparency report detailing how many times it received user data requests and how the provider didn’t turn any over. It also offers leak protection, RAM-only servers, and perfect forward secrecy.
CyberGhost VPN has pretty cheap plans (starting at $2.19 / month) and offers a generous 45-day money-back guarantee for long-term plans (the monthly plan is backed by a 14-day money-back guarantee).
🥉 3. NordVPN — Fast and Secure VPN for Streaming Amazon Prime
NordVPN provides very fast and secure connections to 5,400+ servers in 55+ countries. Although the number of countries is the lowest on this list, the server network is evenly spread out across 6 continents, so it’s likely to have your home country on the server list so you can access your local library.
NordVPN has very good speeds — in my tests, my speeds were almost as fast as if I wasn’t connected to a VPN server. I watched a couple of episodes of The Walking Dead: World Beyond and Smallville in HD and 4K without any buffering and the videos only took 1–2 seconds to load. However, ExpressVPN and CyberGhost VPN had faster speeds.
When it comes to streaming support, NordVPN is one of the best. Apart from Amazon Prime, it also works with other popular streaming sites like Netflix (including in the US, UK, Japan, and Canada), Disney+, Hulu, and BBC iPlayer, as well as less popular sites like Pluto TV, and Tubi TV.
NordVPN has user-friendly apps for many operating systems, including Windows, Android, macOS, iOS, Linux, Chrome, Android TV, and Firefox. They only take 1–2 minutes to download and install and are very easy to navigate. I also like that NordVPN has customized connection settings, allowing you to set up the VPN to connect to your preferred server when you open the app — this way, you don’t have to scroll through the entire server list. That said, I think CyberGhost VPN is much more customizable (thanks to its Smart Rules feature).
NordVPN is very secure — it has a no-logs policy that has been independently audited and confirmed multiple times, as well as advanced security features like perfect forward secrecy, RAM-only servers, and full leak protection. In my tests, NordVPN never leaked my real IP address.
NordVPN’s plans start at $3.19 / month, and they’re all covered by a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Bonus. Surfshark — Great VPN For Beginners
Surfshark’s apps are very intuitive, making them excellent for VPN beginners that watch Amazon Prime content. The app lists the servers you recently connected to for quick access, lets you mark servers as Favorites, so you don’t have to scroll through the entire server list to find them, and displays every server’s load and ping.
I also like that Surfshark has good streaming support. In addition to Amazon Prime, it works with other streaming platforms including Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and HBO Max — but it doesn’t work with Disney+ (unlike ExpressVPN).
I particularly like its IP Rotator feature that regularly changes your VPN IP address without disconnecting you from the VPN server. This means that if Amazon Prime recognizes your IP address as a VPN IP address, Surfshark will soon assign you a new one in the same location, without you having to lift a finger.
Surfshark has apps for Android, iOS, Windows, macOS, Linux, Fire TV, and Android TV, as well as a Smart DNS feature for devices that don’t support VPNs. It also allows unlimited connections, so you and your entire family can stream Amazon Prime on as many devices as you want to at the same time.
It also comes with great security and privacy features, including RAM-only servers, perfect forward secrecy, and an audited no-logs policy. The only thing that Surfshark is missing is full leak protection — it currently only protects against DNS leaks, unlike ExpressVPN, which has WebRTC and IPv6 leak protection.
Surfshark offers monthly and yearly plans that start at $2.30 / month — all of which are backed with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Comparison of the Best VPNs for Watching Amazon Prime in 2023
|VPN||Starting Price||Leak Protection||Split-Tunneling||Number of Countries||Money-Back Guarantee|
|🥇1. ExpressVPN||$6.67 / month||DNS ✅
|🥈2. CyberGhost VPN||$2.19 / month||DNS ✅
(for long-term plans),
(for monthly plan)
|🥉3. NordVPN||$3.19 / month||DNS ✅
|Bonus. Surfshark||$2.30 / month||DNS ✅
How to Choose the Best VPN for Streaming Amazon Prime Content in 2023
- Choose a VPN that guarantees constant access to Amazon Prime. The VPN should provide uninterrupted access to Amazon Prime 24/7. I have tested each VPN on this list at various times of the day, and all have proven consistently able to access Amazon Prime.
- Select a VPN that’s optimized for streaming. Make sure your VPN is compatible with leading platforms like Netflix, Hulu, and Disney+. Each VPN mentioned here works seamlessly with major streaming services, allowing uninterrupted access to content.
- Pick a VPN with fast streaming speeds. All VPNs slow your speeds because of the time required to encrypt your data, but top VPNs are able to minimize this slowdown and maintain fast speeds. All the VPNs on this list provided me with fast streaming speeds, but ExpressVPN is the fastest.
- Make sure the VPN is easy to use. Every VPN on my list has user-friendly apps for all major devices, an intuitive interface, and are quick and easy to install.
- Ensure the VPN has strong security. I only recommend VPNs that include industry-standard VPN security features like 256-bit AES encryption (the same encryption used by banks), a no-logs policy (prevents the VPN from logging your traffic), leak protection, and a kill switch (disconnects you from the internet if your connection to the VPN server drops to prevent data from leaking onto the internet).
- Pick a VPN with a good value. All of the VPNs here include extra features like split-tunneling (you can choose which apps use the VPN connection and which ones don’t), allow multiple simultaneous connections (ExpressVPN allows 8 connections, while Surfshark allows unlimited connections), and back each purchase with a money-back guarantee.
How to Watch Amazon Prime Content on Any Device
How to Watch Amazon Prime Content on Your PC or Mac
- Choose a good VPN that works with Amazon Prime. I recommend ExpressVPN as it consistently works with Amazon Prime, has fast speeds, and provides easy-to-use apps for Windows and macOS.
- Download and install the VPN. This process should only take 1–2 minutes. Just follow the installation wizard’s instructions.
- Connect to a server and log in to your Amazon Prime account. You can now watch Amazon Prime content from anywhere in the world.
How to Watch Amazon Prime Content on Your Smartphone or Tablet
- Choose a good VPN that works with Amazon Prime. My top pick is ExpressVPN for its easy-to-use apps for Android and iOS.
- Download and install the VPN app. Find the app in your device’s app store and download it. Follow any instructions provided to finish the setup.
- Connect to a server and open Amazon Prime. Now, you’re ready to binge the latest season of Reacher.
How to Watch Amazon Prime on Your Smart TV
- Download a VPN that’s compatible with your router. Any devices connected to the internet through your router will be protected by the VPN. ExpressVPN has an easy-to-install app for routers.
- For Android TVs. Download a VPN app from the device’s app store. ExpressVPN has an easy-to-install app for Android TVs. After you’ve installed the app, scroll through the server menu and connect to your desired location.
- For non-Android TVs. Download and install the VPN on your router — ExpressVPN has a native router app and provides excellent step-by-step instructions on how to complete the process. Once your router is configured to the VPN, all of the devices in your home that are connected to the router will also be connected to the VPN.
- Open Amazon Prime. That’s it. You can now start watching Amazon Prime on your Smart TV or Android TV.
How to Watch Amazon Prime Content on Your Gaming Console
- Download a VPN that can access Amazon Prime and is compatible with your router. Install a VPN on your router so any devices connected to your network will be protected, including your Xbox or Playstation consoles. My top pick is ExpressVPN because it has very fast speeds and an easy-to-install app for routers.
- Connect to a VPN server. Connect your router’s VPN to a server.
- Open Amazon Prime. Once the VPN is installed and running on your router, the gaming console you connect to the router will be protected. Simply open Amazon Prime on your device and stream away.
How to Watch Amazon Prime Content on Your Amazon Fire Stick
- Download a VPN from the Amazon app store that works with Amazon Prime. ExpressVPN has an easy-to-use app for the Amazon Fire Stick.
- Connect to a VPN server. Open the VPN app on your Amazon Fire Stick and connect to a server.
- Launch Amazon Prime. You’re now able to watch Amazon Prime from anywhere on your Amazon Fire Stick.
Why Doesn’t My VPN Work With Amazon Prime?
Amazon Prime Video uses a variety of methods to detect and block VPNs. It does this due to content licensing agreements that restrict the platform to show certain content only in specific regions. Here’s why your VPN might not work with Amazon Prime:
- IP address blocking. Streaming services like Amazon Prime Video keep a database of IP addresses known to belong to VPNs, and if your VPN uses one of these IP addresses, Amazon Prime Video will block it. The good news is the VPNs I recommend frequently change the IP addresses to bypass this kind of block.
- Leaked IP address. Even if you are connected to a VPN, a DNS or a WebRTC leak can reveal your true location to the streaming service. When Amazon Prime Video sees that your actual IP address doesn’t match the location of the VPN server you’re connected to, it’ll block your access. That said, the VPNs on my list come with strong leak protection.
- Account registration information. Amazon might check the address or payment method you used when you registered for Amazon Prime Video. If the country of your registration doesn’t match the country of your VPN, Amazon may detect this discrepancy and block your access.
- Low-quality VPN service. Not all VPNs have the ability to bypass Amazon Prime Video’s geo-restrictions, but all VPNs on my list work really well with the streaming service.
Tried Using a VPN for Amazon Prime, But It’s Not Working? Try These Troubleshooting Steps
Ensure Your VPN Works With Amazon Prime Video
Not all VPNs are able to bypass Amazon Prime Video’s geo-restrictions. If your VPN doesn’t work with the streaming service, it’s likely the reason you’re having trouble. Unfortunately, the only way to fix this is to switch to another VPN provider. If you’re looking for VPN with good streaming support that works with Amazon Prime, I recommend checking my list of best VPNs for Amazon Prime.
Switch to a Different Server
Amazon Prime Video may have detected and blocked the server you’re using. This is because almost all VPNs use shared IP addresses, and if too many users visit the site with the same VPN IP address, Amazon will eventually figure out that it belongs to a VPN server and block it. To resolve this, disconnect from your current server and reconnect to a different server in your desired country.
Clear Your Browser Cache and Cookies
Your browser’s cache and cookies can store location information. If this information doesn’t match the location of the VPN server you’re connected to, Amazon Prime Video may detect this discrepancy and block your access. To fix this, go to your browser settings and clear your cache and cookies.
Turn On Your Kill Switch
Your real IP address can reveal your true location, so if it leaks, Amazon Prime Video will see that you’re accessing the platform from elsewhere and block you. To prevent this, go to your VPN’s settings and enable all leak protection options your VPN offers.
The most important leak protection feature is the kill switch — it disconnects you from the internet when your connection to the VPN server drops. This rarely happens, but if it does and your kill switch is turned off, your IP address will leak, and if you’re streaming on Amazon Prime Video, the streaming service will notice you’re using a VPN and block you.
Update Your VPN App
VPN providers regularly update their apps to improve performance, and sometimes these updates also include updates to their servers. If your app is outdated, it may not be able to connect to the newly updated servers. You can check for available updates in the app store and turn on the auto-download feature to prevent this from happening again.
Reach Out To Customer Support
If you run out of options, you can always contact the VPN’s customer support team. They may be able to offer a more personalized solution and tell you whether other users have experienced similar issues and how they’ve fixed it. They can also confirm whether the VPN you’re using works with Amazon Prime.
Best Streaming Service Alternatives to Amazon Prime
If you’re looking for alternatives to Amazon Prime Video, there are several other high-quality streaming services available. Every VPN on my list works with all of them, with the exception of Surfshark, which doesn’t support Disney+.
- Netflix is a global powerhouse in the streaming world that’s known for its diverse and extensive library. Its content varies by region, but you can always access your local Netflix library with a good Netflix VPN.
- Max offers a rich selection of high-quality content, including HBO originals, films, and TV series. It’s mostly available in the US, Europe, and Latin America.
- Hulu offers a wide range of TV shows, movies, and original content. Unlike streaming services, which are available internationally, Hulu is available to US residents only. If you need a VPN for Hulu, I suggest checking these VPNs that have lots of servers in the US.
- Disney+ is a family-friendly streaming service that includes a vast array of Disney movies, TV shows, and exclusive content. While it’s available in many countries, the content varies by region. If you want to access your local library when abroad, you can use any of the top VPNs I recommend.
- Peacock is NBCUniversal’s streaming service that offers a mix of new, exclusive, and classic NBC content. Currently, it’s only available in a few locations, including the US, but you can access it from anywhere with a VPN.
- Apple TV+ comes with a growing library of original content. It’s available in 50+ countries, so you may not need a VPN to access it, but a VPN could still be useful for getting a stable and secure connection, especially when your ISP is throttling your speed or if you’re using public Wi-Fi to stream.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best VPN for watching Amazon Prime?
ExpressVPN is my top choice for watching content on Amazon Prime. It’s always able to access Amazon Prime, it has some of the fastest streaming speeds on the market, it’s easy to use, and it also works with 100+ other streaming sites.
Do all VPNs work with Amazon Prime?
No, not all VPNs are able to access Amazon Prime. Many streaming services like Amazon Prime block traffic from a VPN, but a good VPN is able to access top streaming apps.
ExpressVPN is my favorite VPN for watching Amazon Prime because of its blazing-fast speeds and large server network (servers in 90+ countries), so most users will be able to connect to a server in their home country when they travel abroad.
Can I watch Amazon Prime with a free VPN?
Possibly, but I don’t recommend it — even the free VPNs that work with Amazon Prime usually limit the amount of data you’re allowed to use. For example, Windscribe’s free plan works with Amazon Prime, but it caps your data at 10 GB per month. Also, most free VPNs don’t work with Amazon Prime, lack security features, have slow speeds, and aren’t easy to use.
I strongly recommend that you purchase a good premium VPN like ExpressVPN, which works with Amazon Prime 100% of the time, maintains some of the fastest streaming speeds out there, has high-end security features, and provides unlimited data.
Why does Amazon Prime have different content in different countries?
Due to copyright and licensing agreements. Amazon Prime has copyright and licensing agreements with multiple third parties for content to air only in select countries. For example, Amazon Prime may have the rights to air a movie in the US but not in the UK. If it aired the movie in the UK, Amazon Prime would violate the licensing agreement.
However, a good VPN will allow you to connect to a server in your home country when traveling abroad so you can have access to your Amazon Prime content. My top choice is ExpressVPN, which has super-fast speeds, servers in 90+ countries, and user-friendly apps for all of the major platforms.