Updated on: September 8, 2023
Only 3 Steps (Quick + Easy) to Hide Your IP Address on Any Device in 2023:
- Step 1: Get a VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN because it allows you to change your IP address with servers in 90+ countries, has a kill switch, a strict no-logs policy, and full leak protection, and provides other high-end security features.
- Step 2: Download and install the VPN. It typically only takes a few minutes for the installation process to complete.
- Step 3: Connect to your desired server. The VPN will assign you a new IP address that matches your new location, and your actual IP address will remain hidden from any third party.
The best way to hide your IP address is with a VPN. A VPN is an app that has servers located in countries all over the world. When you connect to one of these servers, the VPN assigns you a new IP address that matches the server location — concealing your real IP address on any device you want. So, if you live in the US but connect to a server in the UK, your US IP address will be hidden behind your new UK IP address.
However, many VPNs don’t do a good job of hiding your IP address. They may leak your actual IP address even as you’re connected to a VPN server — and you won’t even be aware, which will leave your IP address vulnerable while you’re online. And even worse, some really bad VPNs don’t even assign you a new IP address.
I tested tons of VPNs to find the best ones for hiding your IP address on any device, and my top 4 choices were successful 100% of the time. My top pick is ExpressVPN, thanks to its large server network, best-in-class security features, and super-fast connection speeds.
Best VPNs for Changing Your IP Address in 2023
- 🥇1. ExpressVPN — Best overall VPN for hiding your IP address in 2023.
- 🥈2. Private Internet Access — Secure with highly customizable apps.
- 🥉3. NordVPN — Advanced security features to hide your IP address.
- 4. Surfshark — Good for hiding your IP address on mobile devices.
- Comparison of the Best VPNs for Hiding Your IP Address in 2023
🥇1. ExpressVPN — Best VPN for Hiding Your IP Address in 2023
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for hiding your IP address on the market. The provider lets you hide your IP via servers in 90+ countries — I connected to 10 different servers in the US (my home country), and each time I received a new IP address, and the same held true when I connected to servers in 20 other countries.
Plus, I really like how ExpressvPN has its own DNS servers that route your DNS requests (or website traffic). This way, you won’t use your ISP’s DNS servers and your ISP won’t see your browsing traffic.
ExpressVPN also keeps your IP address hidden by providing full leak protection. I ran DNS and WebRTC leak tests on multiple ExpressVPN servers using ExpressVPN’s own leak test tool and was impressed to find 0 leaks — each time, the only IP address I saw was ExpressVPN’s and not my own. ExpressVPN also offers an IP address checker on its website where you can quickly confirm your IP address matches your server location.
More proof that ExpressVPN hides your IP is it works with all of the popular streaming platforms. Suppose I travel to Mexico but connect to a US server. In that case, ExpressVPN will hide my Mexico IP address and assign me one from the US — allowing me to access the US content libraries for Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Disney+ and log into my Hulu account (which is only available in the US).
ExpressVPN is great for torrenting because P2P downloads won’t be tied to your IP address. Also, it’s able to bypass government firewalls in countries like China, allowing you to surf the internet without any restrictions with an IP address from Hong Kong or Japan.
ExpressVPN comes with a host of features that also protect your IP address. For example, it has a strict no-logs policy that states it doesn’t log your IP address, and this has been confirmed via multiple independent audits.
You also get advanced security features like RAM-only servers and perfect forward secrecy. The former means that no data, including your IP address, is saved to the hard drive and all of the data is erased each time the server is rebooted. The latter changes your encryption key to prevent hackers from accessing past and future keys, which contain your IP address.
ExpressVPN starts at $6.67 / month and backs all plans with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
🥈2. Private Internet Access — Great for Hiding Your IP Address With Highly Customizable Apps
Private Internet Access (PIA) securely hides your IP address 100% of the time — it has servers located in 80+ countries, offers its own DNS servers, works in restrictive countries, and provides a flexible kill switch for all of the top operating systems, top-notch leak protection, and dedicated IP addresses.
I tested PIA by connecting to many different servers in the US, Europe, Asia, and South America, and I used PIA’s IP address checker to confirm I had a different IP address in every country. PIA also has DNS and IPv6 leak test tools on its website — I used these to make sure my IP address never leaked while connected to all of these servers. I really like how PIA even offers an email leak test, which lets you know if your emails leak your IP address.
I’m a big fan of PIA’s kill switch, which has two different settings: VPN Kill Switch and Advanced Kill Switch. The VPN Kill Switch option works just like a normal kill switch and is available on Android, iOS, Windows, and macOS, but the Advanced Kill Switch setting (available on desktop) only allows you to browse the internet if the VPN is connected — this way, you’ll never accidentally connect to the internet without using PIA.
Unlike ExpressVPN, PIA has dedicated IP addresses, which are available as a paid add-on. You can get dedicated IPs from the US, the UK, Australia, Canada, and Germany. A dedicated IP address is an IP address that is only assigned to you — and you can use this to access the web and to stream and torrent while your real IP address is hidden.
PIA’s no-logs policy makes sure that the VPN never stores your IP address (the policy has been confirmed via an independent audit and in US court documents). And I also like how PIA publishes regular transparency reports that prove the VPN never shares user data. It also comes with RAM-only servers, perfect forward secrecy, and open-source apps, which allow anyone to inspect the code for security issues.
Private Internet Access starts at $2.19 / month and has a 30-day money-back guarantee.
🥉3. NordVPN — Advanced Security Features to Secure Your IP Address
NordVPN comes with very strong security features that protect your IP address on the web. These include perfect forward secrecy, RAM-only servers, and full leak protection. I ran leak tests on servers from 20+ countries, and I never experienced any type of leak.
I’m also a fan of the provider’s Threat Protection feature, which prevents annoying ads and trackers from monitoring your IP address. The feature also blocks connections to shady websites and protects you from malware-infected downloads.
On top of that, NordVPN comes with double VPN servers. This feature adds extra security by routing your traffic through 2 VPN servers instead of just 1 VPN server. This way, the VPN protects your IP address behind 2 layers of encryption.
The VPN has a strict no-logs policy that’s been independently audited and verified. Plus, its no-logs policy has also been proven true when one of the data centers it worked with suffered a data breach, but no NordVPN user data (including user IP addresses) was leaked online.
The provider is also really good for streaming, as it works with top sites like Disney+, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. What’s more, like Private Internet Access, NordVPN provides access to dedicated IP addresses — they’re available for an additional cost, and you can get dedicated IPs from the US, the UK, Canada, France, Japan, Germany, and the Netherlands.
That said, it’s a shame the VPN doesn’t consistently work in restrictive countries, unlike top competitors like ExpressVPN and Private Internet Access. NordVPN’s customer support representatives told me they can’t guarantee the VPN is able to bypass government firewalls.
NordVPN has tier-based subscriptions with budget-friendly plans that start at $3.19 / month. All purchases are backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee.
4. Surfshark — Great VPN for Hiding Your IP Address on Android and iOS
Surfshark’s mobile apps include really good features that help you hide your IP address. One of the best ways the VPN does this is via its IP Rotator feature, which protects your IP address online. This feature regularly changes your VPN IP address without disconnecting you from the VPN server. This makes it very difficult for malicious actors to track your digital footprints.
Another standout feature of the Android app is the Override GPS Location tool — it ensures your phone or tablet’s GPS location is the same as the server location.
Surfshark has DNS leak protection, but it’s a shame it’s missing IPv6 and WebRTC leak protection (like the other VPNs on my list have). Even so, I ran multiple leak tests on servers in 10+ countries, and I never experienced any IPv6, DNS, or WebRTC leaks.
And Surfshark’s Dynamic MultiHop feature allows you to connect via 2 VPN servers, providing better security. It’s especially great that this tool lets you choose whichever entry and exit servers you want (most VPNs come with preset double VPN connections). There’s also CleanWeb, which blocks ads and malicious sites.
Surfshark is an affordable VPN with plans starting at only $2.30 / month. All plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Comparison of the Best VPNs for Hiding Your IP Address in 2023
|VPN||Starting Price||Leak Protection||Verified No-Logs Policy||Operating Systems With a Kill Switch||Number of Connections||Number of Countries That Have a Server|
|🥇1. ExpressVPN||$6.67 / month||DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6||✅||iOS, Android, macOS, Windows, Chrome, and Linux||8||90+|
|🥈2. Private Internet Access||$2.19 / month||DNS and WebRTC||✅||iOS, macOS, Windows Chrome, and Linux||Unlimited||80+|
|🥉3. NordVPN||$3.19 / month||DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6||✅||iOS, Android, macOS, Windows, and Linux||6||55+|
|4. Surfshark||$2.30 / month||DNS||✅||iOS, Android, Windows, macOS, and Linux||Unlimited||100+|
How to Choose the Best VPN for Hiding Your IP Address
- Choose a VPN with strong privacy and security. All of the VPNs on this list include industry-standard VPN security features like 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch (disconnects you from the internet if your VPN connection fails to prevent your IP address from leaking onto the internet), a strict no-log policy that prevents the VPN from logging your IP address and online traffic, their own DNS servers, and strong IP leak protection.
- Pick a VPN with good streaming support. Top VPNs hide your IP so that you can access popular streaming sites from anywhere. The VPNs that I recommend work with most of the top streaming services, including Netflix, Amazon Prime, and more. My top pick, ExpressVPN, claims to access 100+ streaming services.
- Opt for a VPN with a large server network. Good VPNs have large server networks with servers located in countries all around the world, allowing users to get an IP address from practically anywhere. All of the VPNs on this list have servers in at least 50+ countries (my top pick, ExpressVPN, has servers in 90+ countries).
- Get a VPN with fast speeds. All of the VPNs I recommend maintain fast speeds across all servers while hiding your IP address. In my tests, ExpressVPN was the fastest VPN.
- Look for a VPN with affordable plans. All of the VPNs here have affordable plans and back each plan with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
What Is an IP Address & Why Is It Good to Hide It?
An IP address is a unique string of numbers that identifies your device on the web. Similar to a mailing address, an IP address is how your internet service provider (ISP) and websites are able to identify your location.
Hiding your IP address helps keep sensitive information secure (like your location) so that malicious actors can’t spy on it. Additionally, hiding your IP address with a VPN stops internet service providers (ISPs) from seeing what sites you browse, which provides better privacy.
Other Key Benefits of Hiding Your IP Address
- Streaming — All streaming services like Netflix allow you to access their content libraries for the country where your IP address is located. If you travel abroad but want to access your home content library, all you need to do is connect to a VPN server in your home country to get an IP address from your home country.
- Preventing tracking — Websites can use your IP address to monitor your online activities and target you with annoying ads.
- Bypassing government firewalls — If you’re in a country that restricts access to the internet, including China, Iran, and Indonesia, the government can use your IP address to deny you access to certain websites. When you connect to a server in a different country and hide your IP address, it will allow you to visit any website you wish.
- Gaming — With a hidden IP address, threat actors can’t locate your network, making it much more difficult to target you with a distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attack, which can flood your network with unwanted traffic to disable web access.
How to Change Your IP Address in 2023
How to Change Your IP Address on a Windows PC
- Go to the VPN’s website (I recommend ExpressVPN because it has the best Windows app).
- Download the Windows App to start the installation process.
- Open the installation file on your computer after it’s done downloading.
- Click Yes when asked to allow the VPN to make changes to your device.
- Wait for the VPN to install (this process should only take 1–2 minutes).
- Log into the VPN app, scroll through the server menu, and connect to your desired server.
- You’re all set! The VPN will assign you a new IP address that matches your new location while keeping your actual IP address hidden.
How to Change Your IP Address on a Mac
- Go to the VPN’s website (my favorite VPN for Mac is ExpressVPN).
- Download the Mac app onto your device.
- Open the installation file once the download is complete.
- When prompted, click Yes to allow the VPN to make changes to your device (and take the same action where prompted for any other steps).
- Wait for the installation to finish, this process should take just 1-2 minutes.
- Log into the VPN app and scroll down the list of server locations until you find the country you want to connect to.
How to Change Your IP Address on a Linux System
- Go to the website of the VPN that you want to use (I recommend ExpressVPN thanks to its easy-to-install and intuitive Linux app).
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Linux VPN under Products.
- Select your Linux operating system (like Ubuntu) and download the app to start the installation process.
- Use the command line to finish the installation, run the cd command, navigate to where the installation file was saved, and install the VPN by running the command specific to your distribution.
- Click Yes when asked to allow the VPN to make changes to your device.
- Log into the VPN client.
- Run the VPN to connect to the VPN server — your IP address is now successfully hidden!
How to Change Your IP Address on a Chromebook
- Open the Play Store app on your desktop taskbar or shelf and search for the VPN (ExpressVPN has a really good Android app for Chromebooks).
- Install the VPN (the process should only take a few minutes).
- Open the VPN app and connect to a server.
How to Change Your IP Address on an iPhone or iPad
- Go to the Apple store on your iOS device and choose and download a quality VPN (ExpressVPN is the best option for iPhones and iPads).
- Select Allow when you receive a message saying the VPN would like to add VPN configurations.
- Log into the VPN app with your credentials.
- Scroll down to the server menu and connect to your favorite server.
How to Change Your IP Address on an Android Smartphone or Tablet
- Go to the Google Play store on your Android device and search and download a VPN (ExpressVPN has the best Android app).
- Tap Install to begin the download process, which should take around 1-2 minutes.
- Enter your credentials and log into the VPN app.
- Scroll down to a nearby server and tap Connect to Server.
Other Ways to Hide Your IP Address
A VPN is the best method to hide your IP address, but there are other alternative options.
You can also hide your IP address by connecting to a proxy server, which changes your IP address to align with your new location — but it doesn’t have encryption.
Another option to consider is the Tor network — it reroutes your online traffic through 3 different servers, adding extra encryption layers and changing your IP address. However, it operates at a slower pace due to heavy encryption, and your ISP can identify when you’re using Tor.
You can also obscure your IP by connecting to public Wi-Fi networks, such as in airports or cafes. But remember, these networks might be insecure and susceptible to breaches.
How to Prevent IP Address Leaks
A good way to prevent IP address leaks is by getting a top VPN that has protection against IPv6, DNS, or WebRTC leaks. In order to verify if the VPN you’re using has leak protection, it’s a good idea to conduct DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 leak tests while connected to different servers on your device.
To prevent IP leaks, opt for a VPN that includes a kill switch. This feature will disconnect your internet connection if the VPN service fails, thereby ensuring your IP address stays hidden.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can an IP address reveal my identity?
No, your IP address only reveals your location (but just your city and not your actual street address). That being said, if you still want to hide your IP address and prevent third parties from identifying your location, I recommend purchasing a VPN — when you connect to a VPN server, it masks your real IP address and assigns you a new IP that matches your new location.
My favorite VPN for hiding your IP address is ExpressVPN because it has servers in 90+ countries, comes with robust security features like 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and full IP leak protection, routes your DNS requests through its own DNS servers, and has a strict (and independently audited) no-logs policy that doesn’t log your IP address.
Can I hide my IP address without a VPN?
Yes, there are other methods, such as using proxy servers, the Tor network, and public Wi-Fi will work. But those methods come with drawbacks — proxy servers don’t provide encryption, the Tor network is very slow, and public Wi-Fi networks are not safe to use.
I instead recommend buying premium VPN like the ones on this list, which hide your IP address 100% of the time, provide excellent security features, and come with a money-back guarantee so you can test the service risk-free.
Can I hide my IP address to access Netflix?
Yes. If you are in traveling to another country, you can use a VPN to connect to a server in your home country. This will give you an IP address from your home country and allow you to access your home content library.
My favorite VPN for hiding my IP address to access Netflix is ExpressVPN — it maintains the fastest streaming speeds in the industry, has servers in 90+ countries, and works with 100+ other streaming apps.
Is it legal to hide my IP address with a VPN?
Yes, but there are some countries that ban the use of VPNs. I strongly suggest that you check your country’s local laws regarding the use of VPNs to make sure you’re not violating any laws. Also, it’s still against the law in all countries to hide your IP address and use your new one to engage in illegal activities.
The best VPN for hiding your IP address in restrictive countries is ExpressVPN, which has fast and secure obfuscated servers that allow you to access a free and open internet from anywhere.