Short on time? Here’s the best VPN to get an Indian IP address in 2022:
- 🥇Private Internet Access: Works with Indian sites like Netflix India, provides blazing-fast speeds, has excellent security and privacy features, and allows up to 10 connections. It’s also very affordable and backs all purchases with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
The safest and fastest way to get an Indian IP address is to use a VPN, which is an online app that lets you connect to VPN servers in different parts of the world. Once connected, the VPN server will change your real IP address to a new IP address that matches the country you’re connected to (for example, India). From then on, you can surf sites, download files, and watch videos as if you were located in India.
In addition, VPN servers also encrypt your traffic — they basically make it completely unreadable to protect it from hackers. VPNs are also affordable, user-friendly, and legal.
I tested the best VPNs on the market in 2022 and was able to get an Indian IP address with all 3 of my top picks.
3 Steps (Quick + Easy) to Getting an Indian IP Address in 2022:
- Step 1. Pick a VPN. Choose a good VPN that has at least 1 server in India. I recommend Private Internet Access — it works with Indian sites like Netflix India, provides very fast speeds, and has high-end security and privacy features.
- Step 2. Install the VPN. It only takes 1–2 minutes to download and install most VPNs (just follow the installation wizard). If you want to use the VPN on more than 1 device, check how many simultaneous connections it allows — Private Internet Access, my top pick, allows up to 10 connections.
- Step 3. Connect to an Indian server. Open the VPN app, scroll through the list of server locations, and pick an Indian server. And that’s it! You can now surf the web as if you were physically located in India.
The 3 Best VPNs for Getting an Indian IP Address
Quick summary of the best VPNs for getting an Indian IP address:
- 🥇1. Private Internet Access — Best overall VPN for getting an Indian IP address.
- 🥈2. Hotspot Shield — Secure with good streaming capabilities.
- 🥉3. HMA VPN — Good for new VPN users.
- How to Choose the Best VPN for Getting an Indian IP Address.
- Frequently Asked Questions about the Best VPNs for Getting an Indian IP Address.
🥇1. Private Internet Access — Best VPN for Getting an Indian IP Address
Private Internet Access (PIA) is my favorite VPN for getting an Indian IP address, it’s one of the most highly ranked VPNs on our top 10 list, and it has the fastest speeds on this list — in my speed tests, Indian sites loaded instantly, HD and 4K videos didn’t buffer, and I was able to play online games without any lag (PIA ranks as one of the best VPNs for gaming in 2022). Also, it only took me 15 minutes to download 40 GB torrents, which is very fast.
I also like how good PIA is for streaming and torrenting. It works with top Indian sites like Netflix India — so if you have an Indian Netflix account and go to another country, you can use PIA to watch your country’s titles. Also, PIA allows torrenting on its Indian servers, works with top P2P apps like qBittorrent and uTorrent, and allows port forwarding (a feature that lets you connect to more peers to get faster downloads).
And PIA also makes it really easy to get an Indian IP address — its apps have an intuitive design, the interface is simple to navigate, and there’s also a search field for instant access to the Indian server. Also, I like how all settings and features have quick explanations so you never feel lost when you use PIA.
While PIA’s no-logs policy hasn’t been audited yet, it has been proven true in multiple court documents — so it’s very easy to trust this VPN. Also, all of PIA’s apps are open-source, meaning anyone can inspect the code for security vulnerabilities. PIA also comes with advanced security features like RAM-only servers (every server reset wipes all data) and is also one of the only VPNs that has a kill switch on its iOS app. And I can confirm that PIA’s full leak protection really works — I ran 10+ leak tests and I never saw my real IP address, only PIA’s Indian IP addresses.
I also really like PIA’s “PIA MACE” feature, which blocks ads and connections to malicious sites — I ran multiple tests, and PIA MACE was always able to get rid of ads on Indian sites and block connections to malicious Indian sites.
Private Internet Access allows up to 10 simultaneous connections and has a few paid plans that are very affordable, with pricing starting at $2.19 / month. I also like that it backs each purchase with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
🥈2. Hotspot Shield — Secure & Good for Streaming
Hotspot Shield has 1 Indian server and works with tons of Indian streaming sites, including Netflix India, Disney+ Hotstar, and Amazon Prime India. I also like that Hotspot Shield allows P2P traffic on its Indian server.
Hotspot Shield also provided me with good speeds for all online activities, but it wasn’t as fast as Private Internet Access — while Indian sites loaded instantly, HD videos took 2 seconds to load, 4K videos loaded in 5 seconds and I noticed minor buffering at the start of the videos, and it took me 30 minutes to download 40 GB files (the same files took 15 minutes less to download with Private Internet Access).
On the plus side, Hotspot Shield is very easy to use — it only took me 1–2 minutes to install its Windows and Android apps on my devices, and I was able to find and connect to its Indian server in less than 3 seconds.
I really like that Hotspot Shield comes with advanced security features like perfect forward secrecy (changes your encryption key for each VPN connection to stop hackers from compromising past or future encryption keys to monitor your connections). But while it has a strict no-logs policy, it hasn’t been independently verified or proven true by legal documents yet (like Private Internet Access).
But Hotspot Shield only has full leak protection on Windows (unlike Private Internet Access that has full leak protection on all apps) — its other apps only come with DNS leak protection. I ran multiple leak tests and never saw any leaks (only Hotspot Shield’s Indian IP addresses were visible), but I still recommend manually disabling WebRTC and IPv6 to be 100% safe.
Hotspot Shield allows up to 5 simultaneous connections and has a free plan and several paid plans. Its free plan limits you to 1 location in the US, so to get an Indian IP address, you need to upgrade to one of Hotspot Shield’s paid plans, which start at $2.99 / month — it’s more expensive than Private Internet Access, but it provides good value because its plans include free services like a 1Password account (which is one of the best password managers out there) and Identity Scan (a spam blocker for iOS devices). Also, Hotspot Shield backs all purchases with a very generous 45-day money-back guarantee.
🥉3. HMA VPN — Good for Beginners
HMA VPN is a great option for people who are new to VPNs — its apps have an intuitive design, all settings have helpful explanations, and HMA VPN is also very fun to use. That’s because its apps come with an animated donkey that changes costumes every time you connect to a VPN server. When I connected to its Indian servers, the donkey dressed up as a pirate and a hipster!
HMA VPN comes with 2 servers in India, which are actually virtual locations — that means you still get an Indian IP address, but the VPN servers are located in different countries. Even so, virtual locations are still safe to use. I ran multiple leak tests while connected to HMA VPN’s Indian servers, and I never saw my real IP address (I only saw HMA VPN’s Indian IP addresses).
In my speed tests, HMA VPN performed pretty well. That said, it’s still slower than Private Internet Access and Hotspot Shield — Indian sites took 3 seconds to load, HD videos loaded in 5 seconds and there was minor buffering when I skipped through the videos, and 4K videos took 8 seconds to load and there was noticeable buffering at the start of the videos. I also experienced high ping (how long it takes an internet signal to travel from your device to a web server) when playing online games.
And HMA VPN is mostly good just for securely browsing Indian sites, and not for streaming and torrenting — unlike Private Internet Access and Hotspot Shield, it doesn’t work with Netflix Indian, Disney+ India, and Amazon Prime India and it doesn’t allow torrenting on its Indian servers.
While I like that HMA VPN’s no-logs policy has been independently audited and verified, I’d like to see it make the audit’s results public (it’d be easier to trust HMA VPN that way). On the plus side, I like how HMA VPN provides more privacy through its “IP Shuffle” feature — it changes your IP address at specific intervals to make it harder for someone to track your location.
HMA VPN allows up to 10 simultaneous connections and has a few paid plans that start at $2.99 / month — I think it’s a good deal if you want a fun and user-friendly VPN and don’t need to torrent or access your streaming accounts abroad. HMA VPN also backs each purchase with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
How to Choose the Best VPN for Getting an Indian IP Address
- Servers in India. If the VPN doesn’t have Indian servers, it can’t help you get an Indian IP address. All the VPNs on this list have at least 1 server in India.
- Strong security. I only recommend VPNs that provide essential VPN security features like 256-bit AES encryption, a no-logs policy (to prevent the VPN from logging your browsing and IP address), a kill switch (disables online access if the VPN disconnects to protect you from traffic leaks), and protection against IPv6, DNS, and WebRTC leaks.
- Fast speeds. All VPNs cause slowdowns due to the encryption they use, but the best VPNs minimize the speed loss. All the VPNs I recommend come with fast speeds for streaming, gaming, and browsing.
- Streaming and torrenting support. Sites like Netflix have different regional libraries, which vary from country to country. So if you have an Indian Netflix account and travel abroad, you might lose access to your country’s titles — but a good VPN will let you watch Indian shows and movies anywhere in the world. Also, 2 of my top 3 picks (Private Internet Access and Hotspot Shield) allow torrenting on their Indian servers.
- Ease of use. All the VPNs on this list come with apps that are very simple to install and also make it easy to find and connect to Indian servers.
- Good value. I only recommend VPNs that have extra features (like split-tunneling and ad blockers), allow multiple simultaneous connections (Private Internet Access allows 10 connections), have affordable plans, and back all purchases with generous money-back guarantees.
Best VPNs for Getting an Indian IP Address (2022) — Final Score:
|1.||Read Review||Read Review||Visit Website|
|2.||Read Review||Read Review||Visit Website|
|3.||Read Review||Read Review||Visit Website|
FAQs — How to Get an Indian IP Address in 2022
Can I get an Indian IP address with a free VPN?
No, since most free VPNs don’t have Indian servers — for example, Hotspot Shield has a free plan, but it limits you to 1 location in the US. Even if you find a free VPN with servers in India, I recommend you avoid it. Free VPNs usually have slow speeds, limit how much data you can use, lack important security and privacy features, and have buggy apps.
What can I do with an Indian IP address?
An Indian IP address lets you surf Indian sites as if you were physically located in India (some sites might not work in other countries). Also, if you have an Indian Netflix account and travel abroad, you can use an Indian IP address to watch your country’s titles.
The best way to get an Indian IP address is to use a good VPN that has servers in India. I recommend Private Internet Access — it works with Indian sites like Netflix India, provides blazing-fast speeds, and has excellent security and privacy features.
Can I torrent with an Indian IP address?
Yes, you can torrent with an Indian IP address, but you need a good torrenting VPN. My top pick is Private Internet Access — it supports torrenting, works with top P2P apps like uTorrent and Vuze, provides very fast speeds, and also has port forwarding.
Can I watch Netflix with an Indian IP address?
Streaming sites like Netflix offer different content libraries for all countries — if you have an Indian Netflix account and travel to another country, you might lose access to Indian titles. But you can use an Indian IP address to watch your country’s shows and movies while traveling abroad.
The best way to watch Netflix India is to use a VPN that has Indian servers and works with Netflix — I recommend Private Internet Access because it provides very fast streaming speeds, consistently works with Netflix India, and is very user-friendly.