Short on time? Here’s the best VPN to get a UK IP address in 2022:
- 🥇 ExpressVPN: Provides excellent security features, maintains lightning-fast speeds, works with UK sites like Netflix UK and BBC iPlayer, and allows torrenting on all UK servers. Also has user-friendly apps, allows up to 5 connections, comes with affordable plans, and backs all purchases with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
The easiest and most secure way to get a UK IP address is with a VPN, which is an online app that lets you connect to different servers in other parts of the world. Once you connect to a server, it replaces your IP address with a new IP address that matches the location you connect to (like the UK). That way, you can surf sites, download files, and play online games as if you were actually located in the UK.
VPNs also encrypt your traffic, making it unreadable to protect it from hackers. What’s more, VPNs are legal, easy to use, and affordable.
I’ve tested all of the top VPNs on the market, and I easily got a UK IP address with each of my top 3 picks.
3 Steps (Quick + Easy) to Getting a UK IP Address in 2022:
- Step 1: Choose a VPN. Find a good VPN with at least 1 server in the UK — I recommend ExpressVPN because it comes with excellent security features, provides blazing-fast speeds, works with UK sites like Netflix UK and BBC iPlayer, and allows torrenting on UK servers.
- Step 2: Install the VPN. Downloading and installing a VPN doesn’t take more than 1–2 minutes (you just need to follow the installation wizard’s instructions). If you use multiple devices, check how many simultaneous connections the VPN supports — ExpressVPN, my top pick, allows 5 connections.
- Step 3: Connect to a UK server. Open the VPN app, find the list of server locations, and select a UK server. That’s it! Now you can enjoy the internet as if you were browsing in the UK.
The 3 Best VPNs for Getting a UK IP Address
Quick summary of the best VPNs for getting a UK IP address:
- 🥇1. ExpressVPN — Best VPN for getting a UK IP address. Secure, fast & easy to use.
- 🥈2. TunnelBear — Excellent VPN for new and beginner users.
- 🥉3. IPVanish — Good VPN for large households (allows unlimited connections).
- How to Choose the Best VPN for Getting a UK IP Address.
- Frequently Asked Questions about Getting a UK IP Address.
🥇1. ExpressVPN — Best VPN for Getting a UK IP Address
ExpressVPN is my favorite VPN for getting a UK IP address — it provides the best overall security, speeds, and performance out of all other VPNs (which is why it’s ranked #1 on our list of the best VPNs in 2022).
ExpressVPN is also excellent for streaming — it works with all UK sites, including Netflix UK and BBC iPlayer. So if you have a BBC iPlayer or Netflix UK account and travel abroad, you can use ExpressVPN to watch TV shows and movies from your country. I also like that ExpressVPN allows torrenting on all UK servers.
One of the things I love the most about ExpressVPN is how fast it is — in my speed tests, UK sites always loaded instantly (even ad-heavy sites), HD and 4K videos didn’t buffer, and I never had high ping (how long it takes an internet signal to travel from your device to a web server) when playing online games. Also, I was able to download 40 GB files in only 15 minutes.
ExpressVPN’s apps are very user-friendly. I like how the interface is intuitive and makes it easy to find different settings and servers. But my favorite thing is the “Shortcuts” feature — it lets you create 1-click shortcuts for apps and sites that show up on your screen after you connect to a VPN server. So, you can create Netflix and BBC iPlayer shortcuts to get instant access to those streaming apps after you connect to a UK server.
What’s more, I like that ExpressVPN comes with a strict no-logs policy that has been independently audited and verified — it makes it very easy to trust this VPN. ExpressVPN also has full leak protection (in my tests, I never saw my real IP address, only ExpressVPN’s UK IP addresses). What’s more, it comes with advanced security features like RAM-only servers (every server reset wipes all data) and perfect forward secrecy (changes encryption keys for each VPN connection to prevent hackers from compromising past or future keys to spy on your traffic).
ExpressVPN allows up to 5 simultaneous connections, comes with several paid plans, with prices starting at $6.67 / month, and backs all purchases with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
🥈2. TunnelBear — Beginner-Friendly VPN
TunnelBear has user-friendly apps that are very fun to use, making this VPN a great option for beginners. The design is very intuitive and there’s a digital map you can use to connect to the UK server.
Also, I love that TunnelBear’s apps are very enjoyable to use — when you connect to a VPN server, an animated bear digs a tunnel to the server’s location (on iOS and Android, the bear even roars when you connect to a server). Most of TunnelBear’s connection notifications have adorable country-specific images of bears (for example, when I connected to the UK server, the notification had an image of a bear wearing a monocle and a top hat).
In my speed tests, TunnelBear provided me with really good speeds (but it still wasn’t as fast as ExpressVPN) — UK sites only took 1–2 seconds to load, HD videos loaded instantly and didn’t buffer, and 4K videos took 3–4 seconds to load and there was minor buffering when they started.
TunnelBear is really good for streaming and torrenting — it works with Netflix UK and Amazon Prime UK, and its UK server supports P2P traffic.
I also like how TunnelBear’s no-logs policy has been audited and confirmed, and I think it’s great it releases annual transparency reports that show how many requests for user data TunnelBear received. TunnelBear’s apps, website, and code also undergo annual security audits, and the results are always made public.
TunnelBear allows 5 simultaneous connections and has a free plan and several paid plans. While I like that TunnelBear’s free plan lets you test all its features and get a UK IP address, it limits you to 500 MB per month, which is only enough for a few hours of basic web browsing (it’s nowhere near enough for HD streaming and torrenting). To get unlimited data, you need to subscribe to one of TunnelBear’s paid plans, which start at $3.33 / month. Unfortunately, TunnelBear doesn’t come with a money-back guarantee.
🥉3. IPVanish — Good VPN for Multi-Device Connections
IPVanish is one of the rare VPNs that allow unlimited connections, which means you can use IPVanish on as many devices as you want. I actually had everyone in my home connect to IPVanish’s UK servers, and we all had good speeds for all online activities.
That said, IPVanish isn’t as fast as ExpressVPN or TunnelBear — in my speed tests, UK websites loaded in 4–5 seconds, HD videos took 5 seconds to load, and 4K videos loaded in 9–10 seconds and there was noticeable buffering. Also, it took me 40 minutes to download 40 GB files, which is 25 minutes more than it took me to download the same files with ExpressVPN.
And while IPVanish works with Netflix UK, it doesn’t work with other popular streaming sites like Amazon Prime UK and BBC iPlayer (ExpressVPN works with all streaming apps). On the plus side, IPVanish is a great torrenting VPN — its UK servers allow torrenting, it works with popular P2P apps like uTorrent and qBittorrent, and it has 1 SOCKS5 proxy server in the UK (it changes your IP address just like a VPN, but it doesn’t encrypt your traffic so it provides faster downloads).
I like that IPVanish has advanced security features like perfect forward secrecy and that its no-logs policy has been independently audited and verified — but I’d like to see it provide more transparency by making the audit’s results public (like ExpressVPN did).
IPVanish has affordable plans, with pricing starting at $3.99 / month. Its yearly plan includes a free VIPRE antivirus subscription for macOS and Windows — I think that’s a good deal if you want a UK IP address and are also interested in bundling a VPN with an internet security suite. IPVanish has a 30-day money-back guarantee, but it only covers the longest plans.
How to Choose the Best VPN for Getting a UK IP Address
- Servers in the UK. A VPN needs to have at least 1 server in the UK for you to get a UK IP address. ExpressVPN, my top pick, comes with 4 UK servers.
- Strong security. All the VPNs I recommend provide essential VPN security features like 256-bit AES encryption, a no-logs policy (to prevent the VPN from logging your traffic and IP address), a kill switch (disables internet access if your VPN connection drops to protect you from traffic leaks), and protection against IPv6, DNS, and WebRTC leaks.
- Fast speeds. All VPNs will slow down your speeds due to the encryption they use — but the best VPNs will minimize the speed loss. I only recommend VPNs that provide fast speeds for all online activities (ExpressVPN is the fastest on this list).
- Streaming and torrenting support. Sites like Netflix offer different libraries for each country. If you have a UK Netflix account and travel abroad, you might lose access to your country’s titles — but a good VPN can help you watch UK shows and movies anywhere in the world. What’s more, all the VPNs I recommend also allow torrenting traffic on their UK servers.
- Ease of use. I only recommend VPNs that are easy to download and install and come with intuitive interfaces so that it’s easy to find and connect to UK servers.
- Good value. All the VPNs on this list come with extra features (like split-tunneling), allow multiple simultaneous connections (ExpressVPN allows 5 connections), and have affordable plans.
Best VPNs for Getting a UK IP Address (2022) — Final Score:
|1.||Read Review||Read Review||Visit Website|
|2.||Read Review||Read Review||Visit Website|
|3.||Read Review||Read Review||Visit Website|
FAQs — How to Get a UK IP Address in 2022
What’s the best VPN to get a UK IP address?
My favorite VPN for getting a UK IP address is ExpressVPN — it has excellent security and privacy features, maintains blazing-fast speeds, works with UK sites like Netflix UK and BBC iPlayer, and allows torrenting on UK servers.
Can I torrent with a UK IP address?
Yes, you can torrent with a UK IP address, but you need a good torrenting VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN — it supports P2P traffic, works with popular torrenting apps like Deluge and uTorrent, and provides very fast download speeds.
Can I use a free VPN to get a UK IP address?
Yes, TunnelBear has a free plan that comes with 1 server in the UK — but its free plan also limits you to 500 MB per day, which is only enough for a few hours of basic web browsing.
There are other free VPNs with UK servers, but I don’t recommend you use them — free VPNs often lack important security and privacy features, have slow speeds, limit how much data you can use each day or month, have glitchy apps, and don’t work with streaming apps.
Instead, it’s best to get a low-cost premium VPN like ExpressVPN.
Can I watch Netflix with a UK IP address?
Websites like Netflix have different libraries for each country — if you have a UK Netflix account and go to another country, you might not be able to access UK titles anymore. But if you use a UK IP address, you can watch your country’s titles anywhere in the world.
The best way to watch Netflix UK is to use a good Netflix VPN that has at least 1 UK server. I recommend ExpressVPN — it consistently works with Netflix UK, has very fast streaming speeds, and comes with very intuitive apps for all operating systems.