The easiest and most reliable way to get a Colombian IP address is with a virtual private network (VPN).
A VPN changes your current IP address with one from a different location, making it seem like you’re browsing the internet, streaming videos, and sharing files as if you were actually located inside that location (in this case, Colombia). VPNs are safe, legal, easy to use, and pretty cheap.
I tested all of the VPNs on the market, and I was able to quickly get a Colombian IP address with each of my top 3 VPNs.
3 Steps (Quick & Easy) for Getting a Colombian IP Address in 2021
- Step 1: Choose a VPN. Pick a VPN with at least 1 server in Colombia — I recommend IPVanish.
- Step 2: Download the VPN. It only takes a few minutes to download and install a VPN app on your device. If you plan to connect more than one device, check how many simultaneous connections the VPN allows — the top VPNs average 5-7 devices, but IPVanish is one of the rare providers that allows unlimited simultaneous connections.
- Step 3: Choose a server in Colombia. Scroll down through the VPN’s list of server locations and select a server in Colombia. That’s it! You can now browse the internet as if you were located in Colombia!
Get a Colombian IP Address With a VPN
A VPN connects you to a server in Colombia and replaces your current IP address with a Colombian IP address. A VPN will trick Colombian websites into thinking you’re connected to the internet inside Colombia — these websites will see your Colombian IP address instead of your real one.
A good VPN provides a secure and private connection between your device and the internet. When you connect to a VPN server, all of your online activity and personal data are routed through an encrypted tunnel. This basically means the VPN visits a website for you — and disguises your actual location.
There are free VPNs on the market that you can download and install on your device, but I strongly recommend against using one. Most free VPNs aren’t safe, log your internet data, or have slow speeds. Plus, many free VPNs have small server networks and may not even have a server located in Colombia — which means you won’t be able to get a Colombian IP address
However, a paid VPN will provide you with a Colombian IP address — and also include excellent security features and fast speeds.
How to Find the Best VPN
Any VPN with a server in Colombia can get you a Colombian IP address. But there are important factors to consider before you pick a VPN provider. I used the following criteria to rank my top 3 VPNs:
- Servers in Colombia. A VPN needs to have at least one server in Colombia to allow you to get a Colombian IP address. All of the VPNs on this list have a minimum of 1 server in Colombia (IPVanish has 5 servers).
- Speed. Every VPN slows down your internet connection because it has to encrypt your data. Good providers minimize the decrease in speed with large networks (to reduce overcrowding on servers).
- Device limits. Most providers set a limit on how many devices you can connect at once, but IPVanish allows unlimited simultaneous connections.
- No-logs policy. I only recommend VPN providers that don’t record any of your online activity, such as your internet traffic and the files that you share. Some VPNs, like VyprVPN, have even performed independent audits of their no-logs policies.
- Kill switch. A kill switch automatically disconnects your internet connection when your VPN fails, preventing your data from getting exposed to third parties.
- Encryption. The best VPNs use 256-bit AES encryption. It is one of the strongest encryption available, also used by banks and militaries around the world to protect their information.
- Customer service. The top VPNs offer 24/7 support on a variety of platforms (live chat, email, and troubleshooting guides) to answer any of your questions.
- Payment. Good VPNs offer flexible payment plans (the longer subscriptions usually provide the best value), payment options (credit cards, PayPal, and cryptocurrency), and a 30-day money-back guarantee (but CyberGhost offers a generous 45-day money-back guarantee).
The Best 3 VPNs for Getting a Colombian IP Address
1. IPVanish – Best VPN for Getting a Colombian IP
IPVanish has 5 servers in Colombia, doesn’t set a limit on the number of devices you can use at once, and maintains pretty good speeds — I tested all 5 of IPVanish’s Colombian servers (all are located in Bogotá), and I didn’t notice any significant decrease in my internet speed.
During my tests, I was able to unblock Netflix Colombia and Disney+ Colombia — and because of IPVanish’s good speeds, I didn’t experience any lag while watching content. IPVanish also supports P2P file sharing on all of its 1,600+ servers, including the ones in Colombia, and I had excellent speeds for torrenting, too.
IPVanish also has all essential privacy features, including:
- 256-bit AES encryption.
- OpenVPN and IKEv2 protocols.
- Strict no-logs policy.
- Kill switch.
IPVanish supports Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, and Android, Fire TV, and Chrome — and because IPVanish allows an unlimited number of VPN connections, you can use the VPN on all of your devices at the same time.
IPVanish’s support team is available 24/7 over live chat and via email. There are also tons of support guides that are neatly organized into different categories (FAQs, setup guides, billing questions, troubleshooting, and announcements).
IPVanish has a monthly and a yearly plan, and users can also purchase 500 GB storage with each plan. IPVanish’s annual plan comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
2. CyberGhost VPN – Best-Value VPN
CyberGhost VPN has 4 servers in Colombia, very good speeds, excellent security features, specialized servers for streaming and torrenting, and it’s really easy to use — and all for a pretty cheap price. I connected to each one of CyberGhost VPN’s servers in Colombia, and each server provided me with fast speeds for browsing, torrenting, streaming, and playing video games online.
CyberGhost offers all of the standard security features like 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and a firm no-logs policy.
In addition to these standard security features, CyberGhost VPN also has some neat extra features like an ad blocker and split-tunneling (allowing you to choose which internet traffic to route through the VPN and which through your local server).
Unlike IPVanish, CyberGhost VPN sets a limit of 7 simultaneous connections — but I really like that it comes with pre-configured usage profiles for all of the most popular operating systems, devices, and browsers, including Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS, smart TVs, game consoles, Firefox, and Chrome.
CyberGhost VPN offers a wide selection of payment plans, including a 1-month, 1-year, 2-year, and 3-year plan (the 3-year plan also includes an additional 3 months free). All of the annual plans come with a lengthy 45-day money-back guarantee (the 1-month plan has a 14-day money-back guarantee).
3. VyprVPN – Best VPN for Fast Speeds
VyprVPN has 1 server in Colombia — but during my tests, I never experienced overcrowding on the server in Bogota, and I was able to consistently maintain fast speeds for streaming sports, shows, and movies.
VyprVPN is able to unblock Netflix Colombia, and it supports torrenting on all of its 700+ servers, including the one in Colombia.
VyprVPN includes standard security features like 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and a strict no-logs policy that was independently audited and verified in 2018.
You can use VyprVPN on up to 5 devices, including Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, smart TVs, and routers. VyprVPN’s customer support offers 24/7 live chat and email.
VyprVPN offers a 1-month, 12-month, and 36-month plan, and it accepts credit cards, PayPal, and UnionPay. All VyprVPN plans include a 30-day money-back guarantee.