Short on time? Here’s the best VPN for government bypassing:
- 🥇ExpressVPN: Comes with obfuscated servers for bypassing government restrictions in countries like China, Iran, and Indonesia, and includes industry-leading security features. Maintains blazing-fast speeds across all 3,000+ servers, has a strict no-logs policy (independently audited and confirmed), allows up to 5 simultaneous connections, and covers each purchase with a 30-day guarantee.
While most of the countries in the world allow their citizens to have access to a free and open internet, there are a handful of countries (like China, Iran, Venezuela, and Indonesia) that set restrictions on what websites their citizens are allowed to view online. While the best way to get around government firewalls is with a virtual private network (VPN), these restrictive countries also use sophisticated technology to detect and ban many VPNs.
That is why you need a VPN that has special features and protocols to evade these measures. Unfortunately, a lot of VPNs aren’t able to bypass government censorship — even some of the best ones out there — while a bunch of the VPNs are only able to access restricted content some of the time.
However, there are still some very good government bypassing VPNs available on the market. The ones I’ve chosen for this list are able to bypass most government restrictions with sophisticated obfuscation tools, have excellent speeds, provide high-end security features, and come with user-friendly apps for all of the major platforms.
Quick summary of the best VPNs for government bypassing:
- 1.🥇ExpressVPN — Best overall VPN for government bypassing.
- 2.🥈Private Internet Access — Customizable VPN with fast speeds.
- 3.🥉PrivateVPN — Bypasses restrictions with proprietary protocol.
- 4. TunnelBear— Great for new users in restrictive countries.
- 5. VyprVPN— Allows 30 simultaneous connections.
- Comparison of the Best VPNs for Government Bypassing.
- How to Choose the Best VPNs for Bypassing Government Restrictions.
- Top Brands That Didn’t Make the Cut.
- Frequently Asked Questions About VPNs for Government Bypassing.
🥇1. ExpressVPN — Best VPN for Government Bypassing
ExpressVPN is the top VPN for government bypassing in 2022. It provides obfuscated servers, which allow you to hide your VPN traffic and enable you to bypass geo-blocks without detection in countries that censor the internet. Obfuscation is automatically enabled when you use ExpressVPN’s Automatic protocol setting.
It also has over 3,000+ servers in 90+ countries, allowing you to find a nearby server no matter where you live. For example, if you are in China, ExpressVPN has servers in Hong Kong and Japan, and if you’re in Iran, there are servers in Egypt and Iran.
When it comes to speeds, ExpressVPN is difficult to beat thanks to its proprietary Lightway protocol. In my tests on local servers, websites loaded right away and HD and 4K videos began immediately. On distant servers, there were only minor delays for all of my internet activities.
ExpressVPN also comes with top-notch security tools, such as:
- Perfect forward secrecy — This feature changes your encryption key every time you connect to a different server, so even if hackers somehow hacked your device or ExpressVPN’s servers, they wouldn’t be able to decipher any of your past or future transferred data.
- TrustedServer Technology — ExpressVPN stores your data on memory (RAM) instead of a hard drive, so all of your information is wiped each time the system is rebooted.
- Full leak protection — This feature ensures that your IP address and data never leak online. I tested servers in 10+ countries for leaks, and ExpressVPN returned a perfect score.
- No-logs policy — ExpressVPN’s no-logs policy has been independently audited and confirmed multiple times.
ExpressVPN offers monthly and yearly plans that start at $6.67 / month (and usually include additional months for free). It allows you to connect up to 5 devices simultaneously, accepts Bitcoin (for more anonymous payments), and backs all plans with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
ExpressVPN is able to bypass government restrictions in all countries without detection. It’s the fastest VPN out there, and you also get high-end security features, including perfect forward secrecy and RAM-only servers. ExpressVPN offers a 30-day money-back guarantee on all of its plans.
🥈2. Private Internet Access — Flexible Apps With Great Speeds
Private Internet Access (PIA) is secure, fast, and very good at bypassing government restrictions in censor-heavy countries thanks to its Shadowsocks obfuscation protocol that disguises your VPN traffic as regular traffic — allowing you to get around government firewalls and mask your VPN connection from your ISP. Shadowsocks is a free and open-source encryption protocol project, widely used in China and other countries to bypass internet restrictions. This obfuscation tool can be enabled with just one click in PIA’s “Proxy Preferences” menu.
One of the drawbacks of Shadowsocks is that it slows down your speeds a little bit more than a regular server because of the extra layer of encryption (ExpressVPN’s obfuscated servers don’t affect your speeds at all). Even still, PIA maintained very fast internet speeds for all of my online activities. In my tests using Shadowsocks, websites took 1-3 seconds to load and HD and 4K videos only took a couple of seconds to begin (and played without any interruptions).
I really like how PIA’s no-logs policy has been independently audited and confirmed, as well as proven true in multiple court cases. Also, PIA releases semi-annual transparency reports that show how the VPN doesn’t share user data. In addition, PIA’s apps are fully open source, which means any user can dig through the code to see if there are any holes in security, and the VPN has RAM-only servers, perfect forward secrecy, and strong leak protection.
PIA comes with easy-to-install and intuitive apps for all of the most popular devices, and I like how all of the apps are very customizable (with 20+ options to change under its Settings menu, including encryption levels and enabling cool extra features like split-tunneling and an ad blocker).
Private Internet Access offers low-cost monthly and yearly plans that start at $2.19 / month. It allows up to 10 simultaneous connections, accepts cryptocurrencies and even gift cards to help shield its customers’ identities, and covers each plan with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
PIA’s Shadowsocks obfuscation protocol disguises your VPN traffic as regular traffic in order to bypass government restrictions and browse the web without detection. In testing, PIA was able to maintain pretty fast speeds, and it also includes excellent security features and user-friendly apps. PIA backs each purchase with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
🥉3. PrivateVPN — Simple VPN With Proprietary Protocol for Bypassing Censorship
PrivateVPN uses Stealth VPN, which disguises your online traffic and makes it seems as if you’re browsing without a VPN. This allows you to bypass VPN blocks and firewalls in countries that censor the web. PrivateVPN has servers in 60+ countries around the world, which is less than ExpressVPN and Private Internet Access, but the servers are evenly dispersed in many different locations — and near restrictive countries like China, Venezuela, and Indonesia.
However, Stealth VPN will slow down your internet speeds since it adds an extra layer of encryption (like Private Internet Access’s Shadowsocks). When I connected to a nearby server with Stealth VPN, websites and videos took about 5 seconds to load (but there was no buffering once the videos actually started).
I’m a huge fan of PrivateVPN’s very minimalistic interface that makes it easy to navigate. I was able to find and connect to a server without any issues and found and enabled Stealth VPN with ease. That being said, PrivateVPN’s apps are pretty basic and don’t come with extra features like split-tunneling, an ad blocker, or a built-in speed test — and it’s missing RAM-only servers and perfect forward secrecy.
PrivateVPN has cheap plans that start at $2.00 / month, it lets you connect 10 devices simultaneously, and it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
PrivateVPN bypasses government restrictions undetected while using its proprietary Stealth VPN protocol. In my tests, PrivateVPN was still able to keep pretty fast speeds for uninterrupted browsing and streaming on all of its servers. It’s also very secure and easy to use. You can test PrivateVPN risk-free with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
4. TunnelBear — Best VPN for New Users in Restrictive Countries
TunnelBear is one of the most beginner-friendly and fun VPNs on the market that comes with an obfuscation tools (GhostBear) that hides VPN traffic from restrictive governments — and you can turn it on with just 1 click.
Although TunnelBear has the smallest server network on this list, the servers are strategically located evenly throughout the globe in 45+ countries. No matter what restrictive country you’re in, you’ll still be able to connect to a server in a nearby country to get fast speeds.
Speaking of speeds, I had good speeds using GhostBear, but TunnelBear is not as fast as ExpressVPN or Private Internet Access. In my tests, ad-heavy websites took up to 7 seconds to load, and content on Netflix took up 10 seconds to start (and there was a little bit of lag).
While TunnelBear doesn’t have RAM-only servers or perfect forward secrecy, I really like how the provider conducts an annual audit of its no-logs policy. Plus, you get split-tunneling for Android and a free ad blocker for Chrome.
TunnelBear allows 5 connections and has competitive pricing (plans start at $3.33 / month). There’s no money-back guarantee, but TunnelBear offers a free plan with 500 MB available per month.
TunnelBear’s stealth mode (known as GhostBear) is able to bypass government restrictions with just 1 click, but it’s slower than the other top VPNs on this list. In our tests, TunnelBear was able to keep fairly fast speeds for browsing and streaming without much lag or buffering, but there are faster options out there. TunnelBear doesn’t offer a money-back guarantee, but it has a limited free plan.
5. VyprVPN — Great VPN for Big Households
VyprVPN bypasses government restrictions without detection and allows a staggering 30 simultaneous connections, which is perfect for people with large households.
VyprVPN uses its proprietary Chameleon protocol to hide your connection from your ISP or government entities. Since the Chameleon protocol disguises your internet traffic to make it look like you’re not using a VPN, countries can’t know that you’re using a VPN to bypass their firewalls.
While VyprVPN’s internet speeds aren’t as fast as ExpressVPN or Private Internet Access, they’re still quite impressive. One of the really cool things about VyprVPN is its dynamic server switching tool, which can detect if a server is overcrowded and automatically switch you to a less crowded server.
As for security, VyprVPN has perfect forward secrecy and a kill switch that allows you to set it up so you can’t access the internet without first connecting to the VPN.
At $8.33 / month, VyprVPN is one of the more expensive VPNs on the market, and it backs each purchase with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
VyprVPN bypasses government restrictions without detection and allows up to 30 connections. Its proprietary Chameleon protocol masks your VPN traffic and allows you to get around internet restrictions undetected. VyprVPN offers a risk-free money-back guarantee for 30 days with each purchase.
Comparison of the Best VPNs for Government Bypassing
|VPN||Price||Number of Devices||Servers (Number of Countries)||Obfuscation method||Split-Tunneling|
|1.🥇ExpressVPN||$6.67 / month||5||90+||Obfuscated servers||✅|
|2.🥈Private Internet Access||$2.19 / month||10||80+||Shadowsocks protocol||✅|
|3. 🥉 PrivateVPN||$2.00 / month||10||60+||Stealth VPN protocol||❌|
|4. TunnelBear||$3.33 / month||5||45+||GhostBear tool||✅|
|5. VyprVPN||$8.33 / month||30||60+||Chameleon protocol||✅|
How to Choose the Best VPNs for Government Bypassing in 2022
- Bypasses government restrictions. All of my VPN recommendations are able to bypass government firewalls without detection with the use of obfuscation tools.
- Security. I only recommend VPNs that come with industry-standard VPN security features, including 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, a strict no-logs policy, and leak protection against DNS, webRTC, and IPv6 leaks.
- Fast speeds. While all VPNs slow down your internet connection due to the encryption process, I only recommend VPNs that maintain fast speeds (even with obfuscation tools). ExpressVPN’s obfuscated servers have the fastest speeds on this list.
- Value. I only recommend VPNs that have easy-to-use apps that support multiple platforms, allow at least 5 simultaneous connections, and offer competitive payment plans.
Top Brands That Didn’t Make the Cut:
- Proton VPN. Proton VPN is one of the best VPNs in 2022 — it has excellent security and privacy features and fast speeds. However, it doesn’t have any obfuscation features and is unable to bypass government firewalls.
- Mullvad VPN. Mullvad VPN is fast, secure, and has obfuscation to hide your VPN from restrictive governments. However, Mullvad VPN’s obfuscation tool is very difficult to set up and use.
- Hotspot Shield. Hotspot Shield is a very fast and secure VPN, but it isn’t always reliable for bypassing firewalls in restricted countries.
Frequently Asked Questions About VPNs for Government Bypassing
What’s the best VPN for bypassing government restrictions?
ExpressVPN is my top pick for bypassing government restrictions in 2022. ExpressVPN uses obfuscation with its Automatic protocol setting to access all geo-blocked web content by restricted countries. It’s also fast, comes with excellent security features, and offers easy-to-use apps for all devices.
However, all of the other VPNs on this list are also able to safely and securely bypass government restrictions using obfuscations tools. Private Internet Access is great for users looking for customizable apps, PrivateVPN has a simple interface, TunnelBear is user-friendly and fun to use, and VyprVPN allows 30 connections.
Is it legal to bypass government restrictions with a VPN?
Some countries that restrict access to a free and open internet like China and Iran have banned the use of VPNs. If you’re using a VPN in a country that doesn’t allow VPNs, you may be breaking the law. It’s best to check your country’s local laws.
If you plan to visit a country that restricts access to the internet, you should buy a VPN before you arrive because you may be unable to access the VPN’s website from inside that country. ExpressVPN is the best VPN for for bypassing government restrictions in 2022.
How do I bypass government restrictions with a VPN?
Bypassing government restrictions with a VPN requires only 4 steps:
- Get a VPN that can bypass government firewalls before traveling to a restricted country. I recommend ExpressVPN because it works 100% of the time in restrictive countries, has top-notch security features, and maintains the fastest speeds in the industry.
- Download and install the VPN. Just follow the installation wizard’s instructions. The whole process should take just a couple of minutes.
- Enable obfuscation. Follow the instructions for how to turn on the VPN’s obfuscation tool. For example, ExpressVPN requires you to set your protocol to “Automatic”, while Private Internet Access requires that you enable the Shadowsocks proxy.
- Connect to a server. Open the app, scroll down the list of servers, and choose a server in a country that is closest to you that doesn’t restrict the internet. Now, you’re able to browse a free and open internet.
Can I use a free VPN to bypass government restrictions?
Maybe, but I don’t recommend that you use one.
Most free VPNs lack essential security features, are slow, limit how much data you can use, and have glitchy apps. It’s best to use a premium VPN like ExpressVPN or Private Internet Access for bypassing government firewalls — they’re both very secure, maintain very fast speeds, have strict no-logs policies, and come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.