Updated on: September 8, 2023
Short on time? Here’s the easiest way to install a VPN on a Samsung Smart TV in 2023:
- Step 1: Choose a good VPN. My top choice is ExpressVPN because it has blazing-fast speeds, provides high-end security features, and is the best VPN for streaming.
- Step 2: Download and install the VPN. Samsung Smart TVs run operating systems that don’t work with VPN apps, so the best way to use a VPN with your Samsung TV is to install the VPN on your router. ExpressVPN is my top choice because it has an easy-to-install router app and offers its own router (Aircove) that comes with a built-in VPN.
- Step 3: Configure the VPN on your router. Once done, all of the devices connected to your router are connected to the VPN, including your Samsung Smart TV.
- Step 4: Connect your router to a VPN server. You’re now ready to start binging your favorite shows on your Samsung Smart TV.
You can’t install a VPN app on most Samsung Smart TV models, as their operating system doesn’t support VPN apps. So, you won’t be able to download a VPN from the TV’s app store.
But there are several quick workarounds — for example, you can configure a VPN on your router. If you do that, all the devices in your home, including your Samsung Smart TV, will use the VPN to access the web.
I covered the different ways you can set up a VPN on your Samsung Smart TV. In addition, I also rounded up the best VPNs to use on a Samsung Smart TV — ExpressVPN is my #1 pick because it has a user-friendly router app, excellent streaming support, and the fastest speeds out there.
Best VPNs for Samsung Smart TVs in 2023
- 1.🥇 ExpressVPN — Best overall VPN for Samsung Smart TVs in 2023.
- 2.🥈 Private Internet Access — Great for beginners and non-technical users.
- 3.🥉 CyberGhost VPN — Dedicated servers for streaming on your Samsung Smart TV.
- 4. NordVPN — Easy router setup & strong security.
- 5. Surfshark — Huge server network.
- Comparison of the Best VPNs for Samsung Smart TVs in 2023.
🥇1. ExpressVPN — Best Overall VPN for Samsung Smart TVs
ExpressVPN is my favorite VPN for Samsung Smart TV — it has the fastest speeds in the industry, and it’s able to access 100+ streaming sites, including Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. It has easy-to-use apps that work with most routers and even offers its own VPN router called Aircove. ExpressVPN is also ranked #1 on our list of the top 10 VPNs in 2023.
ExpressVPN’s Aircove VPN router is really convenient, as it provides built-in VPN protection that is extended to every device connected to your home’s Wi-Fi network, including your Samsung Smart TV. Aircove offers really fast speeds and reliable connections, but it should be noted that it comes at an extra, one-time purchase and requires an active ExpressVPN subscription for the VPN features to work.
If you don’t want to purchase the provider’s router, you can install the VPN on your router. ExpressVPN provides step-by-step tutorials on its website for installing the VPN to your router and setting up device groups. It even lets you create up to 5 groups of devices that each connect to a different VPN server. This let me group my Samsung Smart TVs together and connect them to a VPN server ideal for streaming while grouping my PC and smartphone together and connecting them to a different server.
When it comes to speeds, ExpressVPN is the best there is. During my tests, it always loaded HD content instantly, and I was able to stream shows and movies without buffering — even when I skipped around in the video. I also had no issues downloading large files or playing video games online.
I really like ExpressVPN’s MediaStreamer smart DNS feature. It can spoof your location, but make note that it doesn’t encrypt your activity — you will need to connect to the VPN to get 256-bit AES encryption. It’s a breeze to set MediaStreamer and the ExpressVPN website has step-by-step guides on configuring it on Samsung TVs.
ExpressVPN’s streaming support is unmatched. Not only does it work with major streaming sites like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and Disney+, but it also consistently works with 100+ other streaming sites so you can watch all of your favorite streaming content while your Samsung Smart TV is connected to the VPN. Honestly, it’s the best VPN for streaming on the market.
As far as security is concerned, ExpressVPN has a strict no-logs policy that has been independently audited and verified. It also provides full built-in leak protection, RAM-only servers (no data is kept on the hard drive and all data is deleted at every reboot), and perfect forward secrecy, which frequently changes the encryption key used by the VPN to prevent future and past keys from getting hacked.
ExpressVPN has flexible plans starting at $6.67 / month. It’s a bit more expensive than other top VPNs, but it’s well worth the value you receive in exchange. All ExpressVPN plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
🥈2. Private Internet Access — Good Samsung Smart TV VPN for Beginners
Private Internet Access (PIA) is really easy to set up on a wide range of routers. The provider has helpful step-by-step tutorials on its site that make the router setup process pretty simple — on average, it only took me about 9–10 minutes to set up the VPN on my router. That said, I think ExpressVPN’s dedicated router app is much more convenient.
In addition, PIA has really user-friendly apps for many other platforms. The apps have an intuitive interface and provide helpful explanations for all settings and features.
While it’s not as fast as ExpressVPN, PIA provides fast speeds for smooth streaming. During my tests, HD videos loaded in just 2–3 seconds and played without buffering when I skipped around to different parts of the video.
The provider is also one of the top streaming VPNs you’ll find. I never had an issue accessing my accounts on Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime, and it works with 30+ other streaming apps like BBC iPlayer, Crunchyroll, ITV, and more. I also like that it comes with a smart DNS.
I like PIA’s list of strong security features — it has RAM-only servers and perfect forward secrecy. Also, its apps are open-source, meaning the code is public and anyone can read through it to ensure there are no cracks in security. PIA is also very trustworthy, as its no-logs policy passed an independent audit and has been proven true in multiple court cases.
Private Internet Access offers very affordable plans starting at $2.19 / month and backs all of the plans with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
🥉3. CyberGhost VPN — Comes With Dedicated Streaming Servers
CyberGhost VPN works with routers, has a smart DNS, and has dedicated streaming servers. These servers are optimized for faster streaming speeds and make it difficult for streaming sites to notice you’re using a VPN by frequently changing the IP address. CyberGhost offers dedicated streaming servers for Netflix in 15+ countries (like the US, France, Germany, Italy, the UK, and Japan), Amazon Prime in 5+ countries, and even YouTube in the US, Germany, and Sweden.
CyberGhost is also fast — the dedicated streaming servers provided fast streaming speeds in my tests, but the speeds weren’t as fast as ExpressVPN and Private Internet Access. Even when I wasn’t connected to a dedicated streaming server, I was able to load HD videos in 3–4 seconds, and the content played smoothly, though I sometimes experienced buffering when I skipped around in the video.
CyberGhost protects user data with a strict no-logs policy, and it posts transparency reports every quarter. It also has RAM-only servers, perfect forward secrecy, and leak protection against DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks to prevent your personal data from being leaked over an insecure connection.
CyberGhost VPN has flexible plans starting at $2.19 / month. There’s a generous 45-day money-back guarantee on the long-term plans, while the shortest plan is backed by a 14-day money-back guarantee.
4. NordVPN — Simple Router Setup & Strong Security Features
NordVPN is secure, easy to use, and pretty simple to set up on routers, as it only took me around 7 minutes to configure it on my home router. Even so, I still like ExpressVPN’s router app better because it’s much easier to set up and use.
I think this VPN is a good pick if you want to also secure your other devices. It comes with Threat Protection, which blocks ads, malicious sites, and also protects you from malware-infected downloads. Plus, it also has advanced features like RAM-only servers, perfect forward secrecy, and full leak protection. And its no-logs policy has passed multiple independent security audits.
You also get really good speeds with this provider. In my tests, it generally took around 3 seconds for sites to load, and HD videos loaded in 5 seconds and there was only minor buffering at the start. That said, ExpressVPN, Private Internet Access, and CyberGhost VPN provided me with faster speeds.
NordVPN’s plans start at $3.19 / month, and they all come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
5. Surfshark — Large Server Network for Streaming on Samsung Smart TV
Surfshark works on routers, has a smart DNS, and comes with servers located in 100+ countries — so most users will be able to connect to a server in their home country or a nearby country to get the fastest speeds.
While Surfshark provides pretty good speeds, it’s still not as fast as ExpressVPN and the other VPNs on this list. When I tested it, it usually took websites around 4 seconds to load, and HD videos loaded in 5–6 seconds and I sometimes experienced buffering when skipping through the videos.
Also, Surfshark works with most streaming services, including Netflix, HBO Max, Amazon Prime, and BBC iPlayer. However, unlike the other VPNs mentioned above, it can’t access Disney+.
Surfshark has plans that start at just $2.30 / month, making it one of the most affordable VPNs out there. It also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Comparison of the Best VPNs for Samsung Smart TV in 2023
|VPN||Starting Price||Router Support||Smart DNS||Works With Netflix||Free Plan||Money-Back Guarantee|
|🥇1. ExpressVPN||$6.67 / month||✅ (via dedicated router app)||✅||✅||❌||30 days|
|🥈2. Private Internet Access||$2.19 / month||✅||✅||✅||❌||30 days|
|🥉3. CyberGhost VPN||$2.19 / month||✅||✅||✅||❌||45 days (long-term plans only)|
|4. NordVPN||$3.19 / month||✅||✅||✅||❌||30 days|
|5. Surfshark||$2.30 / month||✅||✅||✅||❌||30 days|
How to Choose the Best VPN for Your Samsung Smart TV in 2023
- Get a VPN that works on routers. Samsung Smart TVs don’t support VPN apps, so you need to get a VPN that you can configure on your router — ExpressVPN is my top pick because it has a user-friendly router app.
- Pick a VPN with fast speeds. All VPNs slow your speeds because of the time required to encrypt your data, but top VPNs can minimize this slowdown and maintain fast speeds. All the VPNs on this list provided me with fast streaming speeds and limited buffering, but I had the fastest speeds with ExpressVPN.
- Go for a VPN with good streaming support. The VPN needs to work with all major streaming sites so you can always watch your favorite content on your Samsung Smart TV. I only recommend VPNs that are able to access the most popular streaming sites like Netflix and Amazon Prime.
- Look for a VPN that’s easy to use and set up. Each VPN on this list has intuitive apps and is simple to set up, providing multiple ways to connect your Samsung Smart TV, including router setup, device connection sharing, or a smart DNS tool.
- Select a VPN with strong security. The VPN should protect user data with industry-standard VPN security features like 256-bit AES encryption (the same encryption used by banks and governments), a no-logs policy so that the VPN won’t record the websites you visit or the content you stream, leak protection, and a kill switch that will disconnect you from the internet if your connection to the VPN server drops.
- Find a VPN that’s affordable. I only recommend VPNs that have affordable plans and back each purchase with a generous money-back guarantee.
4 Ways to Install a VPN on Your Samsung Smart TV
Samsung Smart TVs lack in-built VPN support, but there are alternative solutions. You can set up a VPN on your router, securing every device that’s connected to the router, including your Smart TV. Alternatively, you can share a VPN connection from a different device. Smart DNS settings can also help with accessing geo-restricted content. These methods ensure you can benefit from VPN functionalities on your Samsung Smart TV.
Set Up a VPN on Your Router
- Choose a VPN that works with your router. ExpressVPN is my top choice because it has an intuitive router app, maintains fast speeds, and provides great security features. ExpressVPN also offers its own router, which has built-in VPN features.
- Install the VPN on your router. Download the firmware files for your router from the VPN’s website and install them on your router (ExpressVPN provides great step-by-step tutorials for setting up the VPN on your router).
- Connect your Samsung Smart TV to your router’s network. Once the VPN is installed on your router, internet activity on every device on your network will be routed through the VPN.
Set Up the VPN’s Smart DNS on Your Samsung TV
- Choose a VPN that has a smart DNS. While all of the VPNs in this article have a smart DNS feature, my top choice is ExpressVPN because its MediaStreamer smart DNS feature works great with Samsung TVs (and it’s easy to set up).
- Configure your TV’s network settings. Begin by logging into your VPN account on the provider’s website. Once logged in, navigate to the smart DNS page within your account settings. From there, carefully follow the instructions provided by your VPN provider to register your IP address and change the DNS settings on your Samsung Smart TV.
- That’s it. Once you’ve modified the DNS settings on your Samsung Smart TV, you’re all set. Do note that, unlike a VPN, smart DNS doesn’t encrypt your data, but it does give the impression you’re browsing from a different location.
Use a VPN on Your Samsung TV via Ethernet Connection
- Choose a reputable VPN. My top choice is ExpressVPN for its fast speeds, great security features, and easy-to-use apps.
- Connect your devices via ethernet. Connect an ethernet cable from your desktop device to your Samsung Smart TV.
- Share your PC’s internet connection on Windows. Navigate to Network & Internet Settings > Change adapter options, right-click on your ethernet network, and select Properties. Then, click the Sharing tab and check the box that says “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection”.
- Share your device’s internet connection on macOS. Navigate to System Preferences and check the box that says “Internet Sharing”. Select Ethernet in the “Share your connection from” dropdown menu and check Ethernet in the “To computers using” box.
- Connect to the VPN on your main device. Your Samsung Smart TV should now automatically connect to the internet through your VPN-protected device.
Use a VPN on Your Smart TV via Hotspot Wi-Fi Connection Sharing
- Choose a top VPN. My favorite is ExpressVPN as it works with popular streaming sites like Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, Hulu, HBO Max, and more.
- Share your computer’s internet connection:
- On Windows 10: First, navigate to Network & Internet Settings > Mobile Hotspot, turn on Mobile hotspot, and select WiFi from the Share my internet connection drop-down menu. Navigate to Change adapter settings, right-click your Wi-Fi network, and select Properties. Next, click the Sharing tab and check the “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection” box.
- On macOS: Navigate to System Preferences and check the box that says “Internet Sharing”. Select WiFi in the “Share your connection from” dropdown menu and check WiFi in the “To computers using” box.
- Connect your Samsung Smart TV to your main device’s Wi-Fi. Connect your main device to the VPN and your Samsung Smart TV will connect to the internet through your VPN-protected device.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best VPN to install on my Samsung Smart TV?
ExpressVPN is my top choice for a Samsung Smart TV — it comes with a user-friendly router app, has the fastest download speeds on the market, it has great security features, and it works with all of the major streaming services.
Can I use a free VPN on my Samsung Smart TV?
Yes, but I wouldn’t recommend it — most free VPNs don’t work with streaming sites, don’t support routers, or don’t allow you to connect your device with a smart DNS. Free VPNs may also have strict data limits and some even keep logs of your online activity.
Instead, I recommend only using premium VPNs like the ones on this list because they all work on routers and have a smart DNS, provide fast streaming speeds with unlimited data, have great security features, and never keep logs of what you’re watching.
Are Samsung Smart TVs compatible with VPNs?
No, as Samsung Smart TVs use operating systems that don’t support VPN apps. So, you can’t find and download VPNs from your TV’s app store.
But there are several workarounds, like setting up the VPN on your router, using the VPN’s smart DNS tool, or sharing your VPN connection to your Samsung Smart TV via an ethernet or Wi-Fi connection.
Are Smart DNS Tools and VPNs the same?
No, a smart DNS is completely different from a VPN. A Smart DNS connection will only change your DNS settings and make your Samsung TV appear as if it’s connecting from the location of the server you’re connected to. A smart DNS does not encrypt your traffic (like a VPN does).
A VPN is a service that changes your IP address and encrypts your traffic. This way, it hides your location and prevents anyone from spying on your online activities. All the VPNs I recommend provide access to a smart DNS, making it very simple to switch between the two tools depending on your needs.