Short on time? Here’s the best VPN to get a US IP address in 2022:
- 🥇 ExpressVPN: Works with US sites like Netflix US and Hulu, allows torrenting on its US servers, provides blazing-fast speeds, and has excellent security and privacy features. Also has easy-to-use apps, allows up to 5 connections, is affordable, and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
The best way to get a US IP address is to use a VPN, an online service that lets you connect to different servers around the world. Once you connect to a VPN server, it replaces your IP address with a new IP address from the country the server is in (like the US). You can then start surfing the web as if you were actually located in the US.
What’s more, VPNs encrypt your internet traffic, which means they make it completely unreadable (so hackers can’t spy on it). Also, VPNs are affordable, easy to use, and legal.
I tested all of the top VPNs on the market and got a US IP address from each of my top 3 VPNs.
3 Steps (Quick + Easy) to Getting a US IP Address in 2022:
- Step 1. Pick a VPN. Choose a secure VPN that has at least 1 US server. My top pick is ExpressVPN — it provides very fast speeds, works with US sites like Netflix US, and has excellent security and privacy features.
- Step 2. Install the VPN. It usually only takes 1–2 minutes to download and install the VPN (you just have to follow the installation wizard). If you want to use the VPN on more than 1 device, check how many simultaneous connections to VPN allows — ExpressVPN, my number 1 pick, allows 5 connections.
- Step 3. Connect to a US server. In the VPN app, find the list of server locations. Scroll down the list and select a US server. That’s it! Now you can enjoy the internet as if you were browsing in the US.
The 3 Best VPNs for Getting a US IP Address
Quick summary of the best VPNs for getting a US IP address:
- 🥇1. ExpressVPN — Best VPN for getting a US IP address. Secure, fast & easy to use.
- 🥈2. Proton VPN — Best free plan + excellent privacy features.
- 🥉3. IPVanish — Tons of US servers + unlimited connections.
- How to Choose the Best VPN for Getting a US IP Address.
- Frequently Asked Questions about Getting a US IP Address.
🥇1. ExpressVPN — Best VPN for Getting a US IP Address
ExpressVPN is my favorite VPN for getting a US IP address — while it has fewer servers than the other VPNs on this list, it has the best security, best speeds, and best overall performance on the market. It’s ranked #1 on our list of the best VPNs in 2022, it’s our top pick for watching Netflix and other streaming sites (it works with 65+ streaming services, including Amazon Prime, Hulu, and Disney+), and it’s great for torrenting.
ExpressVPN also provided me with the fastest speeds on this list — all US sites loaded instantly (even ad-heavy websites), HD and 4K videos didn’t buffer, my Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) calls never dropped or froze, and I downloaded 50 GB files in 20 minutes, which is very fast.
I also love how simple ExpressVPN makes it to get a US IP address — it’s very easy to install its apps (it only took me 1–2 minutes to do it on my Android and Windows devices) and the intuitive design helps you find US servers very fast (I usually connected to a US server in 2–3 seconds). I’m also a big fan of ExpressVPN’s “Shortcuts” feature, which lets you create 1-click shortcuts for apps and sites that show up on your screen after you connect to a VPN server. You can create Netflix US or Hulu shortcuts to get instant access to those sites after you connect to a US server.
And I really like that ExpressVPN’s strict no-logs policy has been independently audited and verified (and that the results were made public) — it makes it very easy to trust this VPN with your privacy. Also, ExpressVPN comes with advanced security features like RAM-only servers (every server reset wipes all data) and perfect forward secrecy (changes your encryption key for each VPN connection so that hackers can’t compromise past or future encryption keys to spy on your traffic).
I’m also happy that ExpressVPN offers split-tunneling, a feature that lets you choose which apps use the VPN and which apps use your local network. I successfully used the split-tunneling tool to surf US sites with ExpressVPN and access my bank’s site using my local network (most bank sites block VPN connections).
ExpressVPN allows 5 simultaneous connections and comes with a few paid plans that start at $6.67 / month — while it’s a bit expensive, I think it’s worth it because ExpressVPN provides excellent value. Plus, ExpressVPN backs all purchases with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
🥈2. Proton VPN — Good Free Plan & High-End Privacy
Proton VPN has 300+ US servers, is the only VPN on this list that lets you get a US IP address for free, and it has excellent privacy and security features.
I really like Proton VPN’s Secure Core servers — they send your data through 2 servers (including 1 server in a privacy-friendly country) instead of 1 server to provide an extra layer of privacy. Proton VPN has 3 Secure Core servers in the US, and the traffic first passes through Switzerland, Iceland, or Sweden. I also like that Proton VPN includes other advanced security features like perfect forward secrecy and full disk encryption (keeps all data on a server secured even if it’s compromised).
Proton VPN’s no-logs policy has been audited, and I like that it releases regular transparency reports that reveal how many requests Proton VPN received for user data. Also, all of its apps are open-source (anyone can inspect the code) and have been audited (only minor issues were found and Proton VPN fixed them immediately).
In my speed tests, Proton VPN performed really well — but it wasn’t as fast as ExpressVPN. While US sites and HD videos loaded instantly, 4K videos loaded in 4 seconds and I noticed minor buffering when skipping through the videos, and it took me 35 minutes to download 50 GB files (it took me 15 minutes less to download the same files using ExpressVPN).
Proton VPN is also really good for streaming and torrenting — it works with top US sites like Netflix US and Disney+, and it allows torrenting on its US servers.
What’s more, Proton VPN comes with an ad blocker called “NetShield,” which gets rid of ads and blocks connections to risky sites. I ran multiple tests, and NetShield was always able to block ads on US sites.
Proton VPN has one of the best free plans out there — it lets you use 45+ US servers and comes with unlimited data and “medium” speeds (which are actually pretty fast), but it limits you to 1 connection and you don’t get torrenting and streaming support. Upgrading to the Plus plan (starting at $4.99 / month) adds all US servers, streaming and P2P support, Secure Core servers, Tor over VPN support, NetShield, and 10 connections. Also, Proton VPN backs all its paid plans with a prorated 30-day money-back guarantee.
🥉3. IPVanish — Good for Multi-Device Connections
IPVanish comes with 1,200+ US servers (the most on this list) and allows unlimited simultaneous connections, meaning you can use IPVanish on as many devices as you want. I actually asked everyone in my home to connect to IPVanish’s US servers, and we all had good online speeds.
But while IPVanish performed well in my speed tests, it wasn’t as fast as ExpressVPN and Proton VPN — US sites took 3 seconds to load, HD videos loaded in 5 seconds and there was minor buffering at the start of the videos, 4K videos took 10 seconds to load and there was noticeable buffering when skipping through the videos, and I experienced high ping (how long it takes an internet signal to travel from your device to a web server) when playing online games.
I also don’t like that IPVanish isn’t very good for streaming. It works with Netflix US, but unlike ExpressVPN and Proton VPN, it doesn’t work with Hulu, Amazon Prime, and Disney+. On the plus side, IPVanish is a really good torrenting VPN — it allows P2P traffic on all of its US servers, works with top P2P apps like uTorrent and qBittorrent, and has 13 SOCKS5 proxy servers in the US (they change your IP address just like a VPN, but they don’t encrypt your traffic so you get faster downloads).
IPVanish comes with advanced security features like perfect forward secrecy and also has a strict no-logs policy that has been independently audited and verified. That said, I’d like to see IPVanish make the audit’s results public in the future (like ExpressVPN did) — it’d be easier to trust the VPN that way.
IPVanish has competitive monthly and yearly plans that start at $3.33 / month — you also get a free VIPRE antivirus subscription with the yearly plan (but it’s only available with Windows and macOS). I think IPVanish is a good deal for anyone interested in torrenting with a US IP address and who also wants to protect their devices from malware and phishing attacks. IPVanish also has a 30-day money-back guarantee, but only for yearly subscriptions (ExpressVPN and Proton VPN back all plans with a 30-day money-back guarantee).
How to Choose the Best VPN for Getting a US IP Address
- Servers in the US. To provide you with a US IP address, a VPN needs to have at least 1 server in the US. ExpressVPN, my top pick, has 22 US servers.
- Strong security. All the VPNs I recommend come with industry-standard VPN security features like 256-bit AES encryption, a no-logs policy (to prevent the VPN from logging your traffic and IP address), a kill switch (disables online access if the VPN connection drops to prevent data leaks), and protection against IPv6, DNS, and WebRTC leaks.
- Fast speeds. VPNs always slow down your online speeds due to the encryption they use — but the best VPNs minimize the slowdown so that it’s barely noticeable. All the VPNs on this list provided me with good speeds for browsing, torrenting, and streaming.
- Streaming and torrenting support. Streaming sites like Netflix offer different content based on the country you’re in — so if you have a US Netflix account and travel abroad, you might lose access to your country’s titles. But a good VPN will let you watch US shows and movies in any country. Also, all the VPNs I recommend allow torrenting on their US servers.
- Ease of use. I only recommend VPNs that have apps for all major platforms that don’t take more than 1–2 minutes to install. Their apps are also very intuitive, so it’s really simple to find and connect to US servers.
- Good value. All my top picks come with extra features (like split-tunneling and ad blockers), allow multiple simultaneous connections (ExpressVPN allows 5 connections), are affordable, and have 30-day money-back guarantees.
Best VPNs for Getting a US IP Address (2022) — Final Score:
|1.||Read Review||Read Review||Visit Website|
|2.||Read Review||Read Review||Visit Website|
|3.||Read Review||Read Review||Visit Website|
FAQs — How to Get a US IP Address in 2022
What’s the best VPN for getting a US IP address?
My favorite VPN for getting a US IP address in 2022 is ExpressVPN — it works with US sites like Netflix US and Amazon Prime US, provides blazing-fast speeds, is easy to use, and has excellent security and privacy features.
Can I get a US IP address with a free VPN?
Yes, Proton VPN has the best free plan on the market, which lets you use 45+ US servers and also comes with unlimited data — but you don’t get streaming and torrenting support and are limited to 1 device.
To get a US IP address and access to streaming and torrenting support and multiple simultaneous connections, I recommend getting a low-cost premium VPN instead like ExpressVPN, Proton VPN, or IPVanish.
Can I watch Netflix with a US IP address?
Websites like Netflix come with different content libraries for all countries — so if you have a US Netflix account and travel to a different country, you might lose access to US titles. But you can use a US IP address to watch your country’s shows and movies anywhere in the world.
The best way to watch Netflix US while traveling abroad is to use a VPN that has servers in the US and works with Netflix — I recommend ExpressVPN because it consistently works with Netflix US, is very easy to use, and has very fast streaming speeds.
Can I torrent with a US IP address?
Yes, you can use a US IP while torrenting to enjoy more privacy — the best way to do that is to use a VPN that has US servers and is good for torrenting. I recommend ExpressVPN because it allows torrenting, works with top P2P apps like Vuze and Deluge, and has very fast download speeds.