The simplest and safest way to get a France IP address is with a virtual private network (VPN).
A VPN masks your local IP address and replaces it with a new IP address from different locations around the world, such as France. This way, you can browse the web, watch content on streaming services, download files, and even play video games as if you’re located in that location. VPNs are absolutely safe, easy to use, and completely legal.
I tested many of the top VPNs out there, and I was able to get a France IP address every time with the 3 top VPNs on my list.
3 Steps (Quick + Easy) for Getting a France IP Address in 2021:
- Step 1: Select a VPN. Pick a reputable VPN that has at least 1 server in France. I recommend ExpressVPN because it’s very secure, very fast, and very good at unblocking geo-restricted content.
- Step 2: Download & install the VPN. The setup process takes only a few minutes. If you plan to install the VPN on multiple devices, check to see how many simultaneous connections the provider permits. ExpressVPN allows 5 connections.
- Step 3: Connect to a server in France. Find the server selection menu in the VPN app, scroll through the list of countries, and choose a server in France. Now, you have a France IP address and are able to access the internet as if you’re located in France!
Get a France IP Address with a VPN
A VPN has encrypted servers spread out over different locations around the world. When you connect to a server in a new location, like France, your VPN will change your original IP address to a new IP address that corresponds to that location. For example, when you connect to a server in France, you’ll be assigned a French IP address — and any website that you visit will think you’re actually browsing from inside France.
There are many free VPNs available on the web, but I don’t recommend that you use one. Most free VPNs lack security features, have slow connection speeds, may log your internet traffic, and worst of all, they may not even have a server in France (preventing you from getting a French IP address).
However, a low-cost premium VPN like ExpressVPN maintains fast speeds, includes great security features, and will provide you with a French IP address.
How to Find the Best VPN
Any VPN with a server in France will get you a French IP address, but some VPNs provide better features than others. Here are the factors that I considered when ranking my top 3 VPNs:
- Servers in France. A VPN needs to have at least 1 server in France to get you a France IP address. All of the VPNs on this list have at least 3 servers in France.
- Connection speeds. Every VPN slows down your internet due to the extra layers of encryption. But the top VPNs maintain fast connection speeds for all of your online activities. All of the VPNs on this list have fast speeds.
- Strong security. The best VPNs use 256-bit AES encryption, which is also used by militaries and financial institutions, and include a kill switch to disconnect you from the internet if the VPN connection drops, preventing your data from getting leaked.
- No-logs policy. The top VPNs don’t keep a record of your IP address, browsing history, or any files that you download. All of my top 3 choices have strict no-logs policies in place, and ExpressVPN has even had its no-logs policy independently audited and confirmed in 2018 and 2019.
- Ease of use. Good VPNs have user-friendly interfaces and easy-to-use apps.
- Customer support. Top VPNs provide multiple platforms for customer support like 24/7 live chat, email, and telephone support, as well as thorough troubleshooting guides.
- Pricing. A VPN should offer flexible plans, multiple payment methods, and a money-back guarantee.
The Best 3 VPNs for Getting a France IP Address
ExpressVPN — Best VPN for Getting a France IP Address
ExpressVPN has 3 servers in France located in Paris and Strasbourg, unblocks all of the major streaming sites, and consistently maintains really fast speeds. I tested multiple servers in France, and I was always able to get a France IP address.
ExpressVPN has really impressive connection speeds — during my tests, I was able to quickly download files, seamlessly watch videos, and browse the web without any interruptions.
ExpressVPN is able to access the most popular streaming platforms, including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and many others. In my tests, the video quality was always crystal clear and there was no buffering. ExpressVPN is also great for torrenting — it supports P2P traffic on all 3,000+ servers, and it works with all of the top torrent clients like BitTorrent, Deluge, and qBittorent.
ExpressVPN also offers:
- 256-bit AES encryption.
- Kill switch.
- No-logs policy.
In addition to these industry-standard security features, ExpressVPN also comes with perfect forward secrecy, its own encrypted DNS on every server, and built-in IPv6 and WebRTC leak protection. ExpressVPN also uses RAM memory, which means none of your data is stored on a hard drive, and all of the information on a server is automatically deleted every time the server gets rebooted.
ExpressVPN has easy-to-use apps for Android, iOS, Windows, macOS, and Linux, and it allows you to connect 5 devices at once.
ExpressVPN has 1-month, 6-month, and 12-month payment plans (the 12-month plan is the best deal and comes with an additional 3 months for free), accepts PayPal, credit cards, Bitcoin, and a variety of other payment methods like Mint and Union Pay. Each plan is backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee.
IPVanish — Best VPN for Unlimited Simultaneous Connections
IPVanish has 35+ servers in France, and all of them are located in Paris, Bordeaux, and Marseille. I instantly got a France IP address in each city, and I was able to access French websites and Netflix France without any difficulties. And thanks to IPVanish’s good speeds, I watched TV shows and movies on Netflix in HD and I played video games without any lag.
My favorite thing about IPVanish is that it doesn’t limit how many devices you can connect at once. I connected 2 PCs (Windows), a work laptop (Windows), an Android phone, an iPad, and a Fire TV, and my friend also connected 4 of his devices. Neither my friend nor I suffered any connectivity or performance issues — even when 10 different devices were connected at the same time!
IPVanish is great for torrenting — it supports P2P traffic on all of its 1,600 servers (like ExpressVPN) and works with all of the top torrenting clients. I also like that it offers a SOCKS5 proxy, which is a protocol optimized for faster speeds (but keep in mind that SOCKS5 proxy doesn’t encrypt your traffic). IPVanish also has split-tunneling.
IPVanish includes 256-bit AES encryption and a kill switch, and it has a strict no-logs policy.
But IPVanish is not good for unblocking streaming services. While IPVanish works with Netflix, it’s unable to access Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, and many other streaming sites.
IPVanish has intuitive apps for Android, iOS, Windows, Mac, Linux, and Amazon Fire TV. When it comes to customer support, IPVanish offers 24/7 live chat, email, and even telephone support (but not in France).
IPVanish offers a monthly and a yearly subscription plan that you can purchase with PayPal or a credit card, but only the yearly plan is backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee.
CyberGhost VPN — Best VPN for Beginners
CyberGhost VPN has 600+ VPN servers in France that are located in Paris and Strasbourg. I tested multiple servers in both locations, and I was able to quickly get a French IP address on each server.
But my connection speeds with CyberGhost VPN were not as fast as with ExpressVPN and IPVanish — websites took 3-4 seconds to load and streaming content took 5-10 seconds to start (but there was no buffering once the videos began).
I’m a big fan of CyberGhost VPN’s intuitive interface, which makes it really easy to find the best server for your online activity — CyberGhost has optimized servers in select countries that are dedicated for streaming, torrenting, and gaming. For example, CyberGhost VPN provides dedicated servers in France for Netflix France, TF1, and Canal+.
CyberGhost comes with a kill switch and 256-bit AES encryption — and there’s also split-tunneling and an ad blocker. And in addition to having a strict no-logs policy, CyberGhost VPN releases a transparency report every 3 months to prove that it doesn’t comply with law enforcement requests for user data.
CyberGhost VPN backs its 1-year, 2-year, and 3-year subscription plans with a 45-day money-back guarantee.