Short on time? Here’s how to cancel your TotalAV subscription and get a refund in 2022:
- 1. Cancel your TotalAV subscription. Go to your TotalAV billing page, cancel your subscription, and contact TotalAV to request your refund.
- 2. Uninstall TotalAV. Remove all TotalAV files from your Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS devices (full instructions below).
- 3. Try an alternative antivirus. Download and install an alternative antivirus program to stay protected from malware in 2022. I recommend Norton.
Canceling your TotalAV subscription is quick and easy. All you have to do is log into your TotalAV account, go to the billing section, and cancel your auto-renewal. From there, contact TotalAV and request your refund.
It’s also important to note that TotalAV offers a 30-day money-back guarantee for annual subscribers and a 14-day money-back guarantee for monthly subscribers. As long as you fall into one of these categories, TotalAV will fully refund your subscription. I purchased a TotalAV subscription and tested the refund process, and I can confirm that the money-back guarantee is 100% legitimate.
After you’ve canceled your TotalAV subscription, you’ll want to select a good alternative antivirus (I’ve included 3 options below).
Follow the below steps to fully cancel your TotalAV subscription, get a refund, and then choose an alternative antivirus. Norton is my favorite TotalAV alternative in 2022. It has a 100% malware detection rate and offers some other really useful features, such as a secure firewall, VPN, and excellent phishing protection.
How to Cancel Your TotalAV Subscription (Step-by-Step Guide)
How to Cancel Your TotalAV Subscription on Your Windows or Mac Computer
There are 3 ways to cancel your TotalAV subscription on your Windows or Mac computer:
Cancel TotalAV Through Your Account Settings
- Visit login.totalav.com and enter your account details.
- Hover your mouse over Account (at the top of your browser) and click My Billing in the drop-down list that appears.
- Under the Payment Method section, click Manage.
- Click Manage Billing Preferences.
- Choose to either Disable Auto-Renew or Cancel Account. Since you’re unsubscribing from TotalAV and picking an alternative antivirus, you should click Cancel Account.
- TotalAV will email you a verification code. Enter the code and then click Continue to Cancel.
- Click Continue to Cancel again.
- Click Cancel My Account.
- TotalAV will automatically issue your refund if you’re eligible, and you’ll receive it within 7 business days.
- Choose an alternative antivirus. Norton is my favorite antivirus of 2022. It uses a powerful malware engine to catch threats, including trojans, rootkits, cryptojackers, and more. I also really like Bitdefender, which is super lightweight, and consistently caught 100% of malware samples in my tests. Intego is a great choice for Mac users and comes with some really good backup and optimization tools.
Cancel TotalAV Through Email/Phone
- Email email@example.com or call (001) 833 201 8681. Tell TotalAV’s customer support team you wish to cancel your subscription. Let them know your registered email address, customer ID (from your account settings), and order ID (from your order’s email receipt). You also can request your refund at the same time.Below is an example email:
- If you choose email, you will receive an automated confirmation email letting you know TotalAV has received your email. When I tested this, I got an actual response from TotalAV in about 24 hours. TotalAV won’t immediately cancel your subscription and refund you. Instead, they’ll try to convince you to stay.
- Respond to their email and let them know you just want to cancel your subscription and receive a refund. You don’t even have to answer TotalAV’s questions if you don’t want to. TotalAV should cancel your subscription and issue a refund on their second email response. The refund should be in your account within 7 days.
- Choose an alternative antivirus. I like Norton, which uses advanced heuristics and machine learning to catch malware threats. It also comes with an impressive range of features. Bitdefender is an excellent choice if you’re looking for a lightweight option, and Intego is great for Mac users.
Cancel TotalAV Through PayPal
- Log into your PayPal account (paypal.com)
- Click on your TotalAV payment under Recent Activity.
- Click Manage TotalAV Payments.
- Click Cancel.
- Click Cancel Automatic Payments.
- Click Done.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org, call (001) 833 201 8681, or contact TotalAV’s live chat by visiting my.totalav.com/support and clicking the live chat icon. Tell TotalAV’s customer support team you want a refund. Include your registered email address, customer ID (from your account settings), and order ID (from your order’s email receipt).
- If you emailed TotalAV, you’ll get an automated confirmation email. TotalAV will then respond to your email and let you know that they’ve canceled your subscription (you’ll have to go back and forth with them a few times first, as they’ll try to convince you to stay). It took TotalAV about 24 hours to respond to the first email I sent when I did this. If you’re eligible for a refund, TotalAV will eventually tell you that they’re processing it and that it should be in your account within 7 days. If you spoke to TotalAV over live chat or phone, they should be able to cancel your account and issue your refund immediately (but it will still take up to 7 business days to appear in your bank account).
- Choose an alternative antivirus. Norton and Bitdefender are both really good options in 2022. They both include malware scanners that can consistently catch 100% of malware without any slowdowns, and they have really good additional features, like comprehensive web protection and a secure VPN. Intego is also a great choice for Mac users.
How to Cancel Your TotalAV Subscription on Your iPhone or iPad
- Open Settings.
- Tap your AppleID.
- Tap Subscriptions.
- Look for TotalAV in your subscription list and tap on it.
- Tap Cancel Subscription.
- Confirm your choice.
You can now request your refund.
- Go to reportaproblem.apple.com on your PC, iOS, or Mac.
- Enter your Apple ID to log in, then in the dropdown list, select Request a refund.
- Choose the reason you’re getting a refund from the second dropdown list.
- Go through your list of purchased items until you see TotalAV. Select it, then select Submit.
- Wait for Apple to contact you with their decision on your refund.
- Choose an alternative antivirus for your iOS device. I really like Norton 360: Mobile Security. It offers various features to protect your iOS device, such as an SMS filter to prevent phishing attacks, and a secure VPN to encrypt your information and keep you safe online. Bitdefender Mobile Security is a good choice too. It can monitor your email address for exposed data and protect you from dangerous websites.
How to Cancel Your TotalAV Subscription on Your Android Smartphone or Tablet
To cancel your TotalAV subscription on your Android device and receive your refund, simply follow the above steps.
Once you’ve done that, select an alternative antivirus for your Android device. I recommend Norton 360: Mobile Security, which has heaps of features to keep your Android safe. Bitdefender Mobile Security also offers great protection for Android users.
Best TotalAV Alternatives In 2022
Quick summary of the best TotalAV alternatives in 2022:
🥇1. Norton — Best Alternative to TotalAV in 2022
Norton uses a malware database, heuristic analysis, and machine learning to consistently catch 100% of malware samples. Its malware detection rates are very similar to TotalAV’s, making it a super reliable alternative in 2022.
Norton also includes some other really useful features:
- Anti-phishing protection.
- Secure VPN (virtual private network).
- Identity theft protection (US only).
- Parental controls.
- Privacy protection.
- Password manager.
- Cloud backup (up to 100 GB).
- And more…
Norton’s anti-phishing protection detected every dangerous website I tried to visit — including those that Chrome’s default protections missed. It’s user-friendly and offers advanced features such as an isolation mode, which protects your financial information when visiting banking sites. While TotalAV offers great anti-phishing protection, it doesn’t include any sort of isolation mode.
I also really like Norton’s password manager. While it’s not as good as the best standalone password managers, it offers unlimited password storage, synchronization across multiple devices, auto-save and auto-fill options, and password vault auditing tools. Usually, vault auditing is only offered by standalone password managers like 1Password, and many competitors (like TotalAV) don’t include it.
Norton’s plans start from $19.99 / year. However, I recommend picking Norton 360 Deluxe, which costs $49.99 / year and includes all of the features mentioned above. If you’re a US user, Norton also offers several LifeLock plans, which start from $99.99 / year. These include Norton’s identify theft protections, which offer up to $1 million identity theft coverage and credit monitoring from the 3 major credit bureaus in the United States. All of Norton’s plans come with a 60-day money-back guarantee.
🥈2. Bitdefender — Best Lightweight Alternative to TotalAV
Bitdefender is a lightweight antivirus that uses a cloud-based scanning engine to catch 100% of malware samples without any slowdowns to your machine. Its malware detection rates are just as impressive as TotalAV’s.
Bitdefender comes with lots of additional features, too:
- Ransomware protection.
- Secure web browser.
- Anti-theft protection.
- Parental controls.
- Password manager.
- System optimizer.
- And more…
I really like Bitdefender’s anti-theft protection. Most antiviruses only offer anti-theft protection on mobile devices, but Bitdefender’s anti-theft feature can also protect your Windows computer. In my tests, I could precisely pinpoint the location of my laptop from Bitdefender’s web-based management platform. I could also remotely lock my device and sound an alarm — which is great if you’ve simply misplaced your device. TotalAV doesn’t offer anti-theft tools, meaning if your device is lost or stolen, you can’t do anything about it.
I’m also a big fan of Bitdefender’s parental controls. You can set your child’s device usage schedules, view their location, manage what websites and apps they can visit, and more. I particularly like how your children can mark themselves as safe when they arrive at a specified location. It’s a great way to keep an eye on them when sending them to school or a friend’s house.
Both Bitdefender Internet Security and Bitdefender Total Security are slightly cheaper than TotalAV. However, I recommend getting Bitdefender Total Security, which costs $35.99 / year and includes all of the features mentioned above. You can also choose Bitdefender’s Premium Security plan. At $69.99 / year, it’s a bit more expensive than TotalAV, but it covers up to 10 devices, so you can protect your entire household, and it also includes a VPN with unlimited data and a fully-featured password manager. All of Bitdefender’s plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
🥉3. Intego — Best TotalAV Alternative for Mac Users
Intego is my favorite antivirus for Mac users in 2022. It has a near-perfect detection rate (just as good as TotalAV’s) and can scan your entire device in an hour. I particularly like how Intego lets you scan Apple’s Mail app for emails containing viruses.
Intego comes with some really good features for Mac:
- System cleaner and optimizer.
- Parental controls.
- Data backup tool.
Intego’s parental controls allow you to schedule your kid’s screen time, block websites you don’t want them to visit, and more. I really like Intego’s anti-predatory features — with these, you can monitor your kid’s phone for key phrases you don’t want them to see. If your kid receives a text containing a key phrase, it will automatically be filtered, and you’ll be alerted. TotalAV doesn’t include any parental controls, so there’s no way of knowing if your kids are safe online.
I also like Intego’s data backup tools, which let you create customizable backups to protect specific files and folders. You can also optionally set up synchronization so if you make changes to an original file, the backup will automatically be updated too. TotalAV doesn’t come with any data backup tools, so you have to rely on Apple’s built-in Time Machine feature, which isn’t that good.
Intego offers a few different plans that are cheaper than TotalAV’s plans. However, I particularly like Mac Premium Bundle X9 and Mac Internet Security X9. With Mac Premium Bundle X9, you get all of the features mentioned above for $29.99 / year. Intego Internet Security X9 is slightly cheaper, costing $24.99 / year, but you lose out on the parental controls and data backup tool. That said, it’s good if you just want the most basic protection for your Mac. All of Intego’s plans have a 30-day money-back guarantee.
How to Uninstall & Fully Remove TotalAV Files From Your Devices
Once you’ve gotten your refund for TotalAV, you need to install an alternative antivirus. To do this, you first need to uninstall TotalAV.
How to Uninstall TotalAV From Your Windows PC or Laptop
Uninstall TotalAV on Windows 11
- Click on your desktop’s start icon.
- Type “programs”.
- Click Add or remove programs.
- Scroll through your list of installed programs until you see TotalAV. There should be 3 horizontal dots to the right of it. Click on these, then click Uninstall twice.
- Follow TotalAV’s uninstallation wizard. When you reach the end, you’ll need to restart your computer. Once you have, you will have removed TotalAV from your Windows 11 PC.
Uninstall TotalAV on Windows 10
- Next to the Windows Start button, type “remove” in the search bar, then click Add or remove programs.
- In the next window, look for TotalAV. Click on it, then click Uninstall. Click Uninstall a second time in the pop-up.
- Follow TotalAV’s uninstallation wizard. When you reach the end, restart your computer. Once your computer has restarted, you will have removed TotalAV from your Windows 10 PC.
Uninstall TotalAV on Windows 8
- Go to Windows 8’s live tile view by pressing the start key on your keyboard. Type “control panel” into your keyboard. Click on the Control Panel.
- Click Uninstall a program.
- Go through your list of installed programs until you see TotalAV. Click on it, then click Uninstall. Follow TotalAV’s uninstallation wizard. Restart your computer, and you will have removed TotalAV from your Windows 8 PC.
Uninstall TotalAV on Windows 7
- Click on your start menu, then click Control Panel.
- Click Uninstall a program.
Note: If your control panel doesn’t look like the above image, you need to change the View by option to Category.
- Go through your list of installed programs until you see TotalAV. Click on it, then click Uninstall. Follow TotalAV’s uninstallation wizard. Once you reach the end, restart your computer, and you will have removed TotalAV from your Windows 7 PC.
How to Uninstall TotalAV From Your Mac
- Click Finder on your Mac’s dock.
- Click Applications.
- Scroll through your list of installed apps until you see TotalAV. Drag and drop it into your Trash (located on your Mac’s dock).
- Right-click the Trash icon, then click Empty Trash.
How to Uninstall TotalAV From Your iPhone or iPad
- To remove TotalAV from your iPhone or iPad, find the TotalAV app icon.
- Hold your finger on TotalAV until the Remove App button appears.
- Tap on the Remove App button, then tap Delete.
How to Uninstall TotalAV From Your Android Smartphone or Tablet
- To remove TotalAV from your Android device, find the TotalAV app icon.
- Hold your finger on TotalAV until the Uninstall button appears.
- Tap on the Uninstall button, then tap OK.
How to Cancel TotalAV — Frequently Asked Questions
Can I trust TotalAV?
Yes, you can trust TotalAV. It’s a legitimate antivirus company and it will fully protect your device in 2022. However, there are some better options out there. Norton, for example, has a 100% virus detection rate and comes with some really good additional features TotalAV lacks. Check out our list of the top 10 antiviruses in 2022 to see other good options.
Is TotalAV a virus?
TotalAV isn’t a virus. TotalAV is a tool to protect you from viruses in 2022. You should only remove it from your computer or mobile device if you wish to install another antivirus program like Norton or Bitdefender. If you want to do this, you can follow our uninstallation steps above, which will guide you through the process. Once TotalAV is uninstalled, take a look at our best alternatives.
What is TotalAV on my bank statement?
If TotalAV appears on your bank statement, it means you’re paying for one of TotalAV’s premium antivirus packages. If you don’t want to be paying for this, you need to follow the steps above to cancel your TotalAV subscription. Once you’ve canceled your TotalAV subscription, you need to select an alternative antivirus.
Can I get my money back from TotalAV?
Yes, you can get your money back from TotalAV. TotalAV offers a 30-day money-back guarantee for all annual purchases and a 14-day money-back guarantee for monthly purchases. To get your refund, you need to follow our step-by-step guide above. Once you’ve followed this guide, uninstall TotalAV, and choose an alternative antivirus to keep you protected in 2022.