Updated on: September 9, 2023
Only 3 Steps (Quick + Easy) to Change Your Netflix Country in 2023:
- Step 1: Choose a VPN that works with Netflix. My top pick is ExpressVPN, which is able to reliably access multiple international Netflix libraries.
- Step 2: Download the app. It only takes 2–3 minutes to download and install the app on your device.
- Step 3: Connect to a VPN server in your desired country. Next, log into your Netflix account — you can now access your home country’s Netflix library from anywhere.
Netflix offers different content libraries for different countries due to licensing fees, which limit where Netflix is allowed to air certain titles. This means that users won’t be able to access TV shows and movies from their home content library when they travel abroad.
However, you can easily solve this problem with a virtual private network (VPN). A VPN is an app that has servers located all over the world. When you connect to a VPN server, it replaces your current IP address with an IP address that aligns with the new server’s location — thus allowing you to change your Netflix country.
The only problem is not all VPNs are good for Netflix. Many VPNs don’t work with Netflix because the streaming service uses sophisticated technology to detect and block VPNs. Even some of the VPNs that are able to access Netflix have slow speeds or small server networks — so many users may not be able to find a server in the country where they want to watch Netflix.
Thankfully, all 7 of the VPNs I recommend work with Netflix 100% of the time. However, ExpressVPN is my top choice, as it has one of the largest server networks in the industry, is the fastest VPN out there, and comes with intuitive apps that make it a breeze to change your Netflix country.
Best VPNs for Changing Your Netflix Region in 2023
- 🥇1. ExpressVPN — Best VPN for changing your Netflix region in 2023.
- 🥈2. CyberGhost VPN — Easy-to-use VPN with specialized Netflix servers.
- 🥉3. Private Internet Access — User-friendly Android & iOS apps for Netflix.
- 4. NordVPN — Great smart DNS tools for accessing Netflix.
- 5. Surfshark — Good streaming support & affordable plans.
- Plus 2 more!
- Comparison of the Best VPNs for Changing Your Netflix Country in 2023.
🥇1. ExpressVPN — Best VPN for Changing Your Netflix Region in 2023
ExpressVPN is the #1 VPN for changing your Netflix region in 2023. It provides great variety since it works with 10+ Netflix libraries. Also, thanks to its huge server network (3,000+ servers in 90+ countries), most users will be able to connect to a server in their home country — and also maintain fast speeds.
ExpressVPN also comes with:
- MediaStreamer — This is a smart DNS service that lets you stream on devices that don’t support VPN apps, including gaming consoles and some smart TVs.
- Split-tunneling — It allows you to choose which apps travel through your local network and which ones travel through your VPN server. This was very helpful when I was in Spain. I only routed my Netflix app through the VPN, which was connected to the UK server, providing me with even faster streaming speeds. At the same time, this allowed me to order dinner in my hotel room with the UberEats app while connected to my hotel’s Wi-Fi network.
- ExpressVPN Keys — This password manager lets you conveniently and securely store all of your logins and passwords, including your Netflix account.
It’s really simple to find and connect to a server with ExpressVPN’s well-designed interface. All of the servers are grouped into regions, including the Americas, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and the Middle East and Africa. There’s also a search bar, and I like that ExpressVPN displays the last server you connected to so you don’t even have to search for it.
I also love ExpressVPN’s connection preferences. For example, you can set up the app to start automatically when you turn on your device and auto-connect to your last server location. This makes it effortless to stay connected to the location you need to use for Netflix.
ExpressVPN also has the best speeds in the industry — after testing servers in dozens of different countries, I was always able to stream videos in HD and 4K without any frustrating interruptions.
ExpressVPN has several plans that start at $6.67 / month. It’s a bit higher than some of the competition, but it offers top-notch value and it usually includes additional months for free. All of the provider’s plans are covered by a 30-day money-back guarantee.
🥈2. CyberGhost VPN — Easy to Use With Specialized Streaming Servers for Netflix
CyberGhost VPN’s intuitive interface makes it easy to find its dedicated Netflix servers, which are optimized to consistently access the streaming platform. It has dedicated Netflix servers in 15+ countries, including the US, UK, Brazil, France, Japan, and Australia. You can easily find these Netflix servers by clicking on the For streaming tab on the left side of the dashboard.
I’m also a big fan of the VPN’s Smart Rules feature, which allows you to automate VPN connection preferences. For example, you can configure the VPN app to connect to a specific Netflix server on launch, and also open the Netflix app — I find this very convenient.
I like how CyberGhost VPN also has dedicated servers for Disney+ and Amazon Prime Video, as well as other country-specific streaming services like Hulu, BBC iPlayer, RTE, Globo, ARD, and many more. Plus, CyberGhost VPN has its own smart DNS, which is similar to ExpressVPN’s MediaStreamer — so you can stream on devices that don’t support VPN apps. It also allows you to change your location to DNS servers in Japan, the Netherlands, Denmark, the UK, and the US.
In my tests, CyberGhost VPN had fast speeds, but it wasn’t as fast as ExpressVPN. On local servers, videos played right away and there was no buffering, but on more distant servers, it took up to 2 seconds for videos to begin. CyberGhost VPN offers split-tunneling, but it’s only available on Android (unlike ExpressVPN, which supports split-tunneling on multiple apps).
CyberGhost VPN offers very budget-friendly plans that cost as little as $2.19 / month. The long-term plans are covered by a 45-day money-back guarantee (the shortest plan has a 14-day refund window).
🥉3. Private Internet Access — Great for Streaming Netflix on Mobile Devices
Private Internet Access (PIA) makes it really simple to change your Netflix country on the go. Its mobile apps are very easy to use, and I love how you can create favorite servers on your Android and iOS smartphones — this way, you can connect to your intended server with just 1 tap.
I also like how PIA displays the server ping on mobile apps. The ping is the distance your internet signal has to travel to the server — a lower ping equals faster speeds. Plus, PIA uses a basic color-coded system (green equals fast, and red equals slow) so you can quickly find the servers with the lowest ping.
The provider has dedicated Netflix servers in 5+ countries, including the US, the UK, and Japan, and it works with Netflix in a few other countries on regular servers. While this is a pretty good variety, ExpressVPN and CyberGhost VPN still work with more Netflix libraries.
PIA also has optimized streaming servers in 10+ countries, including the US, the UK, and Japan, which are designed to work with 30+ streaming apps, such as BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and Amazon Prime.
The speeds are really fast across all servers, so you’ll be able to stream without interruption. During my testing, PIA performed as well as CyberGhost VPN, but it was noticeably slower than ExpressVPN. PIA also supports split-tunneling on Android, Windows, Macs, and Linux.
PIA supports unlimited connections, which means you can use it on as many devices as you want. It’s a great option if everyone in your family needs a good VPN to access Netflix.
Private Internet Access’s plans start as low as $2.19 / month, and they all include a 30-day money-back guarantee.
4. NordVPN — Good Smart DNS Tools for Accessing Netflix
NordVPN works with 10+ Netflix libraries via its smart DNS and SmartPlay. I find SmartPlay particularly cool, as it mixes smart DNS and VPN technology across all of the provider’s servers — this makes it much harder for Netflix to detect and block your VPN connections.
The VPN has an extensive network of more than 5,400+ servers located in 55+ countries. This means you’ll always find a reliable server that allows you to access the Netflix library in your home country, but the number of countries is much less than the top 3 VPNs on this list.
NordVPN’s fast speeds allow you to stream Netflix without slowdowns. Although my speeds were slower than ExpressVPN, CyberGhost VPN, and Private Internet Access, they were still fast enough to stream my favorite shows in HD without any buffering.
It also works with other popular streaming services like Disney+, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu, and it has intuitive apps for iOS, Android, Mac, Windows, and more.
NordVPN has monthly and yearly subscriptions that start at $3.19 / month. All purchases are backed by a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
5. Surfshark — Good Streaming Support & Affordable Plans
Surfshark has 3,200+ servers in 100+ countries, which makes it simple to connect to a server in your home country (and use nearby servers for fast speeds). Speaking of speeds, the provider has fast connections on most servers, but I had much slower speeds on very distant servers than I had with ExpressVPN and CyberGhost VPN.
You get pretty good streaming support. Surfshark can access 15+ Netflix libraries, and also works with 50+ other popular streaming platforms like HBO Max and BBC iPlayer. Unfortunately it can’t access Disney+.
Surfshark is very affordable, with plans starting at only $2.30 / month — and like Private Internet Access, it offers unlimited simultaneous device connections. All plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
6. Proton VPN — Dedicated Streaming Servers in 60+ Countries
Proton VPN’s Plus servers are optimized for streaming services like Netflix so you can access your account from anywhere — these servers are available on the Plus plan and are located in all of Proton VPN’s 60+ countries. While Proton VPN’s server network is pretty big, it’s not as big as the top 3 VPNs on this list.
One of my favorite things about Proton VPN is its Profiles feature, which lets you create multiple profiles and connection preferences. For example, I created a profile that automatically connects me to a UK server. It took me just a few minutes to set up, and it worked like a charm each time.
My speeds were pretty good with Proton VPN. They were in the same neighborhood as CyberGhost VPN and Private Internet Access, but they couldn’t match ExpressVPN. All of Proton VPN’s apps have the VPN Accelerator feature, which helps boost speeds and provide more stable connections, especially on distant servers. You also get split-tunneling for Android and Windows.
Proton VPN offers plans that start at $4.99 / month and has a prorated 30-day money-back guarantee.
7. PrivateVPN — Good VPN for New Users
PrivateVPN has a user-friendly interface that makes it a great choice for people who have never used a VPN. It’s very easy to connect to a server and there aren’t too many other features to enable or settings to change. It has servers in 60+ countries and is a great VPN for streaming Netflix and other streaming apps.
PrivateVPN’s speeds are good, but it’s the slowest VPN on this list. That being said, my videos instantly started on local servers and other servers throughout Europe. When I connected to servers in the US and Australia, it sometimes took 10 seconds for videos to load, but they played uninterrupted once they began.
With prices starting at $2.00 / month, PrivateVPN is one of the cheapest VPNs on the market. Each plan is covered by a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Comparison of the Best VPNs for Changing Your Netflix Country in 2023
||Split-tunneling||Supported Devices||No. of Netflix Libraires||Number of Devices||Money-Back Guarantee|
|🥇1. ExpressVPN||$6.67 / month||✅||Android, iOS, Windows, Mac, Linux, routers, Chromebook, Kindle Fire, Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Smart TVs||10+||8||30 days|
|🥈2. CyberGhost VPN||$2.19 / month||✅||Android, iOS, Windows, Mac, Linux, routers, Firefox, Chrome, Amazon Fire Stick, Android TV||15+||7||45 days
(long-term plans only)
|🥉3. Private Internet Access||$2.19 / month||✅||Android, iOS, Windows, Mac, Linux, routers, Chrome, Firefox, Opera||5+||Unlimited||30 days|
|4. NordVPN||$3.19 / month||✅||iOS, Android, macOS, Windows, Linux, Android TV, Fire TV, Chromebook, routers||10+||6||30 days|
|5. Surfshark||$2.30 / month||✅||iOS, Android, Windows, macOS, Linux, Android TV, Fire TV, routers||15+||Unlimited||30 days|
|6. Proton VPN||$4.99 / month||✅||Android, iOS, Windows, Mac, Linux, routers, Chromebook, Android TV||10+||10||30 days
|7. PrivateVPN||$2.00 / month||❌||Android, iOS, Windows, Mac, routers||10+||10||30 days|
How to Choose the Best VPN for Changing Your Netflix Country in 2023
- Choose a VPN with great streaming support. Netflix, like many streaming services, uses sophisticated technology to detect and block VPNs. However, all of the VPNs I recommend work with Netflix 100% of the time, and they’re also able to access all of the most popular streaming apps like Amazon Prime and BBC iPlayer.
- Opt for a VPN with an extensive server network. To access to your home Netflix library while abroad you need to select a VPN that offers servers in your home country. All of the VPNs listed above have large server networks, with serves in at least 50 countries. Notably, ExpressVPN and CyberGhost VPN stand out by providing servers in over 90 countries, offering you a wide range of options for access to your preferred Netflix content.
- Find a fast VPN. While the encryption process inherently slows down your connection, the best VPNs minimize it. My VPN recommendations maintain very fast speeds — particularly for streaming on platforms like Netflix. ExpressVPN is the fastest I’ve tested.
- Choose a VPN that’s user-friendly. Every VPN I recommend has easy-to-install apps for every major OS. Plus, the apps are intuitive and easy to navigate, so you can easily and quickly connect to a server for streaming Netflix.
- Consider a VPN with affordable plans. Each of the VPNs I recommend offers reasonably-priced plans, allows at least 5 simultaneous connections, and includes a minimum of a 30-day money-back guarantee.
How to Change Your Netflix Country on Any Device in 2023
How to Change Your Netflix Country on Your PC or Mac Device
- Pick a good Netflix VPN. Choose a VPN that consistently works with Netflix and has a good server network. I recommend ExpressVPN because it maintains lightning-fast speeds, works with all of the popular streaming services, and has servers in 90+ countries.
- Download and install the VPN app. Just follow the installation wizard’s instructions (the whole process takes just a few minutes).
- Open the app, choose a server, and log into your Netflix account. You can now watch Netflix shows and movies.
How to Change Your Netflix Country on Your Smartphone or Tablet
- Choose a good VPN that works with Netflix. My recommendation is ExpressVPN thanks to its lightning-fast speeds, user-friendly mobile apps, and huge server network (90+ countries).
- Download and install the VPN app. Once the installation finishes, just follow the instructions to finish the setup.
- Open the VPN, select your server, and launch the Netflix app. Just like that, you can watch Netflix wherever you are.
How to Change Your Netflix Country on Your Smart TV
- Pick a quality VPN. ExpressVPN is my top choice since it comes with an easy-to-install router app and has an app for smart TVs.
- For Android TVs. Download the VPN app from your TV’s app store (ExpressVPN’s Android TV app is simple to install and use). Open the VPN and select the server you need.
- For non-Android TVs. Download and install the VPN on your router (ExpressVPN has a router app and provides easy-to-follow instructions). After you connect the VPN to a server, all of the devices connected to your router will use the VPN.
How to Change Your Netflix Country on Amazon Fire Stick
- Pick a good VPN. ExpressVPN offers an excellent Fire Stick app.
- Download the VPN app on your Fire Stick or Fire TV device. Installation takes just a few minutes once your download is complete.
- Open the VPN app, connect to a server, and open Netflix. Grab your popcorn and a drink and scroll through the Netflix library to find your desired content.
How to Change Your Netflix Country on Your Gaming Console
- Get a Netflix-compatible VPN that works on routers. ExpressVPN is my #1 recommendation — it’s super easy to install on a router.
- Install the VPN on your router. ExpressVPN comes with a router app, and it takes just minutes to get it set up.
- Connect to a server and log into your Netflix account on your console. You’re all set to start binging your favorite shows.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best VPN for changing your Netflix country?
ExpressVPN is the best VPN changing your Netflix location — it offers 3,000+ servers in 90+ countries, works with all of the top streaming services 100% of the time, and has lightning-fast speeds.
How do I change my Netflix location?
You need a quality VPN to change your Netflix location. When you connect to a VPN server, you’re assigned an IP address that matches the location of the VPN server. This means sites that you visit will think you’re physically in that location. Then, you will be able to access the Netflix content library from the country where you’re connected. To change your Netflix country, follow these 3 quick and easy steps.
Is it legal to change my Netflix region with a VPN?
Yes, but accessing a different country’s Netflix library may be against the terms of service. This is why Netflix blocks VPN traffic, so you need to choose a good VPN that works with Netflix. My top pick for changing your Netflix country and for consistently accessing the streaming service is ExpressVPN.
Can I use a free VPN to change my Netflix location?
Yes, but I don’t recommend doing this. Most top free VPNs can’t access Netflix, and even the ones that work with Netflix set a limit on how much data you can use and throttle your speeds. Instead, I recommend buying an affordable top VPN like ExpressVPN, which works with Netflix and offers servers in 90+ countries so you can easily change your Netflix country.