Mac infection rates are on the rise, and what was once a virus-resistant operating system is now just as vulnerable as Windows OS. While Mac OS provides a simple, contained system, even the smallest exploit—especially ones that work in the background to steal your data—can impact the performance of your computer.
Luckily, several strong antivirus solutions are available for the Mac so we’ve compiled this list of the best virus cleaners to keep your system safe from hackers.
#1 – Norton by Symantec
Symantec’s Norton is one of the most impressive antivirus solutions on the market for both Mac and Windows. The company offers different security programs, including Norton Security Standard, Norton Security Deluxe, and Norton Security Premium, all of which provide effective protection for Macs.
- A beautiful user interface that makes navigating the application menus simple and intuitive.
- A massive database of viruses and other digital exploits which identifies and neutralizes common viruses quickly.
- Norton’s Live Update which always runs the most up-to-date version of the company’s virus database, providing a basic level of security for every system.
- Real-time Internet protection to protect against malware, ransomware, or adware while online.
- A smart firewall that provides an extra layer of security and is capable of protecting your home network from intruders.
- A password manager for keeping track of passwords, credit card information, and other sensitive data.
- 2GB of cloud backup to keep your important files safe from potential ransomware attacks and hardware failure.
Symantec guarantees that any device running Norton Security Standard (or better) will be repaired and virus-free or the company will return the user’s full purchase price. The company also offers 24/7 support for all of Norton’s products to troubleshoot issues quickly.
Regardless of which Norton program you select, Symantec offers one of the best virus cleaners for Mac. Check out Norton if you are looking for a reliable, all-around antivirus solution.
#2 – Bitdefender
Bitdefender claims to offer “absolute protection designed for Mac.” They may be relatively small in the digital security market, but they’re gaining recognition for their impressive suite of virus cleaning solutions for Mac, PC, and Android.
Bitdefender offers three paid packages that provide an impressive level of virus protection without costing too much. Even the basic edition has many useful features to protect your system.
- Multi-layer ransomware protection through the software’s Time Machine Protection and Safe Files features.
- Web attack prevention that uses Bitdefender Shield.
- 24/7 Cloud-Based Guard Duty that keeps your Mac protected at all times.
- Anti-Phishing to prevent email phishing scams.
- Bitdefender VPN for privacy while browsing the Internet.
- Complete vulnerability scan for identifying and removing viruses.
- File shredder so your deleted files are fully deleted.
- File backup to restore a safe version of your Mac’s system settings and files.
Regardless of which option you choose, the company’s impressive antivirus cleaners will keep your Mac running at its very best.
#3 – AVG
AVG now offers two options for Mac: AntiVirus for Mac and AVG Ultimate, which is also available on PC and Android. AVG’s basic security option comes with malware and spyware protection to block unwanted programs that take up computing power by in the background.
Like Norton, AVG offers automatic security updates so every scan uses the most up-to-date exploit definitions.
- AVG Ultimate searches both Mac and Android Apps, providing an additional layer of security beyond the average virus cleaner; this support is critical for Mac OS.
- Runs quietly in the background and doesn’t interfere with your work.
- Total online security blocks malicious websites, downloads, emails, and more.
AVG offers basic and premium subscriptions. The basic package allows users to access its extensive database of troubleshooting questions, tips, and other FAQs to help solve common problems. Premium users get 24/7 support online and over the phone to troubleshoot their issues quickly and easily.
One of the biggest complaints about AVG for the Mac is its lack of features compared to some of its competitors. Despite this, it’s still a reliable antivirus program that’s worth checking out.
#4 – Avast
Avast is available for both Mac and Windows and includes a thorough list of features to keep your computer safe. The company has two options for Mac, a free version and a pro edition that comes with several additional features.
- Combats viruses, spyware, malware, and phishing attacks, providing users with a complete security package immediately following installation.
- Wi-Fi Inspector scans networks to ensure they are safe, even public Wi-Fi networks.
- Wi-FI Intruder Alerts that notify you when an unauthorized individual connects to your network.
- Web & Email Shield that protects from dangerous emails, malicious attachments, and phishing attempts.
- Password Manager to store passwords and other sensitive information.
- Ransomware Shield to encrypt important files.
- Game Mode that reduces system usage and untimely popups while gaming.
In an emergency, Avast’s 24/7 call center support ensures quick repairs of your system.
Want to Learn More?
Every device needs antivirus protection. With new threats being developed every day, an antivirus program is your best line of defense. Check out some of our latest blog posts to learn more about current threats, cybersecurity trends, and more: